HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:13 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
CharlesM wrote:
I get Hammers point and it's valid and completely true. People shouldnt expect the exact same training effect indoors to out (climbing or not actually). If Anyone manages to replicate that full effect, it would likely be a HEADLINE rather than a part of the story...

Charles, you indicated that you rode a Super Trainer (if I correctly interpreted your post). Did you ride it at an incline? if so, was it like real climbing? My hope is that it is, and that one day (soon), I can get a similar unit, whether from Rodby Innovation, Inside Ride, or some other manufacturer.

Yes, the price and weight for such a unit will likely be considerably higher than for traditional high-end trainers and rollers. But I'll take a good mechanism over video games any day.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:13 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:40 pm 
Formerly known as PezTech

yes, and no... it wasn't like real climbing. Even in the case of something like that, you have limits, both physical and mental. That's a hell of a rig and works well but the speed adjusting and the proximity of the rails really make you think a lot about what you're doing. My HR for the watts produced was a LOT different than other trainers and the road. I would guess conditioning to it would make some of that go away, but not all of it. When you're operating dynamically in an enclosure, it just never lets you really free. on a bike it seems a LOT worse than on something like incline treadmills. I've been on a unit like that running as well and it was awesome. On a bike it seems really claustrophobic and a couple of other people have said the same thing... so even when you have free bike movement, it's still not the same...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:53 pm 

You'll probably need a safety cord up front to prevent you from being spitted out the back or crashing into the rear barrier ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:44 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
The same as climbing? No. but does it work muscles similarly to real climbing, both in and out of the saddle? I suppose the larger the unit, perhaps the better, but also the more expensive, everything else equal.

My Nordic Track ski machine with adjustable inclination, when inclined really makes you climb, and that is VERY different than using higher resistance at zero incline. It is not the same as real cross country skiing, although I would hope that an inclined bicycle treadmill would come close to real climbing. Perhaps your riding is affected by the claustrophobic aspect and fear of going too slow or fast to stay on the machine before it can appropriately react, but then again, not everyone takes to rollers immediately, either, and some people (not me, except once when I was taking it easy and not paying attention) have been known to fall off them.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6