Help me to make a pedal choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

biker1974

by biker1974

Maybe you should try Xpedo Thrust 8 Carbon or Xpedo Thrust 8 Ti ? Price+weight= :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jpac

by jpac

+1 for shimano as well. used a couple different setups and my DA 7900's are by far the best i've used and have, imo, the best platform for weight transfer. I've tried speedplays and they feel like i'm balancing on a pole.

GuyGadois

by GuyGadois

I don't use them but Dura-Ace seem to be my group's preference

jpac

by jpac

ya, they are great, never had any issues with them. i recommend them!!

mattythemod

by mattythemod

Times Expresso for me have to say the cleats wear like cheese though !

Geoff

by Geoff

I still like the Look pedals best...

vtspot

by vtspot

I am too in the dilemma of choosing time xpresso 12 or Dura Ace 9000. They both are great, xpresso 12 is lighter but DA is more durable. Not sure what to choose yet.

Oswald

by Oswald

Just get a pair of Shimano PD-9000 and don't worry about pedals for the next decade.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Time RXS.
I heard the new xpresso's have no issues anymore like the old ones had, but I also heard that hardly anything beats the RXS. I guess Shimano is about the same with regards to quality etc., but from what I read, the cleats on the RXS should last longer.

boots2000

by boots2000

I like Keo2max carbon (prior to 2014) with aftermarket longer Ward ti spindle.
189 grams per set. I probably get about 2 years out of a set of these.
Never had problems with body wear.
I keep moving the spindles when I replace pedals. Some of my spindles are 4 years old.

Stats

by Stats

I've got a similar choice to make at the moment.

I used to use Look Keo Carbon's Cro-mo axle and when it came time to replace them I didn't think twice about putting a pair of Look Keo Blade's (Version 1, Cro-mo axle - 16nm) and they've been good pedals. But, I recently bought a new bike and am now considering the Dura Ace 9000 pedals instead of the Look Keo Blade V2's...

The Look Keo Blade pedals I've not had a problem with, however I can detect play in the bearings by hand (not in use) and they don't seem to spin as freely as the original Look Keo Carbon's that I had, but that could be due to the blade causing the pedal to be more balanced than the 'rear heavy' design previously due to the spring located in the rear.

Everyone seems to chant the reliability of the Dura Ace pedals, however, after asking one very reliable source on WW his experience, he noted himself and one other that have had bearing problems on the DA9000 pedals...

I still can't decide but am still swaying towards the DA's over the Look's... I can't help thinking about the small amount of play in my current Look pedals and a bike shop owner who also recommended the DA's over Look... back when I bought the Look's originally it was an easy choice with the DA's being significantly heavier and uglier, but now...

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

I had Kéos on all my bikes, and after riding two of them to the point where the clip on mechanism failed me mid ride I bought a pair of Ultega pedals and like them a lot. Pretty sure that's what I'll do again. I'll just try and do a better job anticipating when the Kéos will be done. Cliping in and out is about the same, stability is a bit better with Shimano, IME, and walking is a lot better for Shimano, too.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

mythical

by mythical

This thread is an excellent opportunity to plug Coombe Millennium II pedals. Yes, my favorite pedal maker is back in business! These pedals offer stable foot retention, excellent durability, great pedaling ergonomics and a low weight to boot. I had virtually no maintenance in the 4-5 years I rode my Pro Pedals (old version).

“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

kode54

by kode54

Speedplay is now selling the Pave. wasn't there some patent issues between the two companies at one point?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

That was Bebop. Coombe is a completely different pedal altogether.

There's not that much resemblance between Coombe and Speedplay, also in engagement. For example, Coombe has no moving parts and you don't have the feeling like you're trying to clip in on a ball, like I have with my Zero's. On the other hand, with Coombe's you engage and disengage in the same manner.

Coombe went out of business because sales plummeted. This was probably caused by many bike shoe companies adopting the 3-bolt Look standard in large numbers. Coombe didn't have the cleat to accommodate for this standard For example, I had Coombe cleats that bolted directly onto Sidi soles that, back then, still used adapter plates. My pedal stack height was unbelievably low and this made such a big difference in power transfer. They thought they would be back in business sooner.

This year Coombe is back and, now with 3-bolt Look compatibility, their product seems even more compliant than before. Worth a try, IMO.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira