Help me to make a pedal choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marcio riva

by marcio riva

I need help to choose what I do about my road pedals. I'm currently using look keo 2 max road pedals and I realized my left pedal is a little locked, I opened and noted that the inside bearing not spinning well, I removed dust cap and I see some metal scraps inside bearing, I don't know if is possible replace this bearing but I'm thinking to buy a new pair of pedals. I'm a road bike for about 10 years but I used only 2 models of pedal, a campagnolo chorus pro fit (I think it a little narrow) and the look keo 2 max (better than campagnolo but not so much). I'm looking for a durable pedal more than a light one, and mainly a pedal that offer a good fit. I'm think about Time Xpresso (cleat is durable?), shimano dura ace (my bike is a colnago full campagnolo, so...), speedplay zero (those big cleats) and I accept suggestions. My shoes are sidi ergo 2, I have a little wider hip (narrow pedals tends to cause pain in outside part of my foot), I weight around 98kg and I ride sportively and participate occasionally races. Any help/opinion are welcome.

eric

by eric

Shimano DA SPD-SL pedals are probably the most durable modern pedal. Between 7800 and 7900 pedals I have had to do one rebuild once in the last 10 years (and that was just disassembly, cleaning and regreasing- no parts needed to be replaced). I ride 550-700 hours a year.

The cleats last a long time and the pedal (and cleat) are wide making a large platform.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

+1 to everything eric says about Dura Ace

I am using Speedplay, because I like a lot of free float.

Time xpressos are very light and have quite a bit of free float

It seems like all the modern pedals are really pretty good, with minor trade-offs and features for personal preferences.

asdf123

by asdf123

marcio riva,
I had the same problem as you.
I'm also riding a Colnago with Campy and Ergo 2 shoes and I also have wider hips witch yelds the same problems (outside foot pain).
I'm using the Keo blades witch are good but not super perfect. I'm considering the DA pedals overlapping the fact its a style no-no for a Campy c59.
I'll follow this topic as I might get some new insights.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Keywin pedals might be a good option. They are quite light, when compared to other pedals at similar price. On the fit side, you can chose fixed or 6 deg float by installing a pin in the pedal (same cleats). You can also order them with longer or shorter spindles.

They are a bit rare, but you can now find both the CRM (older) and Carbon (newer) versions in US. I have received mine a few days ago, but did not have a chance to install / test them. I cannot comment on durability or reliability yet, but I heard only good thing about them.

There is a review of the CRM version here in WW.

deltree

by deltree

If it's about fit, comfort and enjoyment of riding, screw the naysayers and get the DAs.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup, Dura-Ace all day long. I have a Colnago too, and when I built it up I was going to do an all "Euro" build, so I put Look Ti-Blades on (plus I also wanted to try them out). And also tried a different saddle than what I was used to. The pedals were the first to go, after only about 100 miles... back to Dura-Ace. The saddle was next.
Never a problem with Dura-Ace, and the cleats are nice and wide and you can actually walk ok with them, plus they last a good long time.
Long time ago, I had Campy Record Pro-fit, just cuz they were campy and everything else on my bike was too. Nowhere near as nice as Dura-Ace. Pedals, saddles, bars... go with what works, not what you think looks best on your bike or goes with whatever, although (big caveat) if you can satisfy the aesthetic part as well, then by all means go for it. Nothing is nicer than a well put together bike that fits, is functional, and looks the biz, in that order. I think the Dura-Ace pedals don't clash with whatever group or bike you are using. Ha... the other day while cleaning out a closet I even found an old pair ('91 o'92) of Time Magnesium Equipe (white) pedals that I used for a while as well. I really do need to have a big garage sale.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

AndreLM wrote:Keywin pedals might be a good option. They are quite light, when compared to other pedals at similar price. On the fit side, you can chose fixed or 6 deg float by installing a pin in the pedal (same cleats). You can also order them with longer or shorter spindles.

They are a bit rare, but you can now find both the CRM (older) and Carbon (newer) versions in US. I have received mine a few days ago, but did not have a chance to install / test them. I cannot comment on durability or reliability yet, but I heard only good thing about them.

There is a review of the CRM version here in WW.

I'll second the Keywins. Awesome pedals!

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Another vote for Shimano, does it really matter if the rest of your bike is Campag??

I did have Time RXS, but compared to Shimano they're really narrow and the cleats are pretty heavy with that big metal chuck there.

Svetty

by Svetty

Plenty of keos on ebay at attractive prices.......

CBRE

by CBRE

I'm considering the pd-9000 da pedals too over my speedplays, I'm not a fan of the speedplay bearings.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

marcio riva

by marcio riva

I want to thank you all for helping me.
I don't pretend to use keo again, the cleat wear in relative short time creating a groove where the pedal hold the cleat and increase the side play and the cleats showed wear in the outside making me think that I need a pedal with a wider plataform or longer axle, and the bearings are questionable. That said I am seriously thinking about buying the Dura Ace PD9000 with +4mm axle.

lannes

by lannes

I'm using the Time Xpresso 12, have always like the combination of rotational and lateral float, also useful being able to adjust the Q factor.

Cleat wear is similiar to the Shimano, as it has pontoons to walk on.

The only issue is the pedal is so light it doesn't have the weight to hang vertically all the time, sometimes it takes a bit longer to get clipped in as a result.

Lemule

by Lemule

Go shimano.

Reliable and good looking. Easily mantained.

I have had several types from base level to 105 and above and had no problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

project3

by project3

most of my cycling mate uses the same pedal. can test each other bikes. :D