HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:56 pm 

@Rick and TheKaiser... Apologies for slow reply, had forgotten about this thread!
In terms of the float on the Coombes, it is un-resisted and free until you reach the +/- 3 degrees, and then there's a stop that you hit which if you overcome then you clip out. It's not like an SPD because there's no gradual increase in force. The release force is about the same, it's just that resistance is encountered as a stop, rather than as stretching a spring. It feels really good to me.
The metal-on-metal contact to me is one of the main great features about the Coombe pedals. I came to Coombe many years ago because of problems with my Speedplay X2s that after a year had experienced enough pedal body wear that there was obvious rocking (this was demonstrated to me because my LBS replaced one pedal under warranty so I could see just how far the other had degraded!). The Millenium pedal is an iteration on his older pedal that I rode for 12 years - on only 2 pairs of cleats, and with no maintenance needed other than just injecting grease once a year!
With regards to your questions about play in the cleat-pedal interface on the Coombes... if you sit on your bike and try to wobble your foot around, you can feel a slight side-to-side rocking (on a normal pedal the spring disguises it I think). But the important thing for me is that I NEVER feel that when actually pedaling. I think the reason is that the interface is then loaded, and also the application of force is accurate (compared to plane of bike) enough and centered (on the pedal) enough that the rocking won't occur. It's really a very stable riding platform.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:56 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:55 am 

Just did my first 70km ride on the new PD-9000 pedals. They feel very different compared to my old 7750 pedals. They are slightly harder to clip in and out, maybe because the springs are still new compared to my old pedals. Both have the spring tension set to the minimum. The platform feels more stable, with less movement. But that could also be caused by the slightly worn platform of my old pedals. I'm still using my old yellow cleats.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:34 pm 

dwaharvey, thanks for the additional clarification. Yeah, I was wondering if they had play because most of the metal on metal cleat/pedal systems I have ridden had a bit of play when shifting the direction of force being applied to the pedal (from pushing down on the downstroke, to "pulling through" at the bottom, or when pulling up in a sprint for instance). That was mostly the case with MTB spds but also Bebops and Speedplay Frogs. I can see how the interface could be made more precisely or whatnot to all but eliminate this though, particularly on a pedal which is not expected to deal with a lot of dirt.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:50 pm 

Oswald wrote:
Just did my first 70km ride on the new PD-9000 pedals. They feel very different compared to my old 7750 pedals. They are slightly harder to clip in and out, maybe because the springs are still new compared to my old pedals. Both have the spring tension set to the minimum.

I notice the same between my 9000 pedals and 7801s. "minimum" on the 9000s is much more effort to clip in/out than the 7801s. I have had the 9000s for over a year and there's been no change in effort that I can tell.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:54 am 

For the price of 9000 pedal, i actually go for time xpresso 10, which is slightly lighter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:31 am 

I use speedplays and have never had an issue with them. I grease them once a year and go. I do tend to go through the shoe cleats more quickly than I think I should, however I do not use cleat covers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:42 pm 

@rosuch, have you not found that your speedplays have developed play over time between the body and the cleat that allows your foot to rock? I haven't used any Speedplays since the X series, but with those, when comparing a new pedal to a 1 year old pedal there was a clear difference, even with new cleats. I attributed it to the plastic body wearing down. I tried Coombe because their steel "cross" design made sense to me - gives a hard surface to either side of the center and helps to clear dirt. Speedplay have copied that shape with their new Pave which suggests to me that they are aware of the shortcoming with their regular pedals.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:24 pm 

@dwaharvey, I really like the micro-adjustable float on my Speedplay Zero's after switching from X, but I have noticed the wear on the pedal body surfaces as well, and that it does let your foot rock. I apply the recommended Speedplay dry lube frequently to try to make them last longer. EDIT: They are relatively cheap to replace though, $120 for the Chro-moly version (1/3 the price of the new stainless Pavé), then just replace the heavy spindles with the aftermarket titanium spindles from my previous pair => lower weight (160 g / pair) vs stainless Pavé (230 g/pair)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:16 pm 

Yeah that definitely saves money and weight, especially with aftermarket spindles. But how often are you doing that? I feel like the pedals from the main manufacturers are becoming practically disposable items along with the cleats

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:25 pm 

I haven't yet - just planning ahead. My current Zero's have 3000km since I switched from X. The wear so far is minimal. We shall see how long they last.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4