Cockpit: Enve vs. Deda vs. Ritchey vs. Zipp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jo.k

by jo.k

I like both the styling and the shape of the Deda RHM bars. FWIW, I just received a pair of 42 cm Trentacinque Superleggero, and they came in 2 grams underweight at 178 g. However, the corresponding ø35 mm stems can be a bit of PITA to get hold off ... mine are currently backordered at Wiggle, and there are not that many alternatives on the market.

KWalker

by KWalker

My 2 Deda posts came in underweight by 8 and 12 grams. My Presa bars were right on target. Only my Zero 100's were not, but I wonder if that was a mis print.

I don't see the point in going boutique for this build just given the build list so far. I'd match the paint finish and be done with it. FWIW I really think that the 2 bolt cradle, such as the one on the Deda post, is much better than a side clamp/1 bolt. Also the Evo Curve have an annoying backsweep on the tops that hits a lot of people's wrists on the drop when they sprint.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

If you're set on matching everything, I would go for the lightest setup, which in this case seems like the Deda Superleggera setup. But just in case, here are some other options to consider:

Easton EC90 SLX3 Handlebar
Easton EC90 SL Stem
Easton EC90 Zero Seatpost
Weight: 509g

Thomson Handlebars
Thomson X4 Elite Stem
Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
Weight: 523g

rheosibal

by rheosibal

project3 wrote:Personally I will go for Deda. I do not have a good reason. I think it match your 2014 caad better. Nicer and newer graphic to see compare to others options :)

I definitely agree. I love the new Deda, and I also think it would look great against an all black frame.

Is it me, or is the Deda seatpost a different color than the bars? It seems different on their site, but I'm not sure about in person.

jo.k wrote:I like both the styling and the shape of the Deda RHM bars. FWIW, I just received a pair of 42 cm Trentacinque Superleggero, and they came in 2 grams underweight at 178 g. However, the corresponding ø35 mm stems can be a bit of PITA to get hold off ... mine are currently backordered at Wiggle, and there are not that many alternatives on the market.

I would most likely go 31.7 rather than 35.. hopefully you get yours soon!

KWalker wrote:My 2 Deda posts came in underweight by 8 and 12 grams. My Presa bars were right on target. Only my Zero 100's were not, but I wonder if that was a mis print.

I don't see the point in going boutique for this build just given the build list so far. I'd match the paint finish and be done with it. FWIW I really think that the 2 bolt cradle, such as the one on the Deda post, is much better than a side clamp/1 bolt. Also the Evo Curve have an annoying backsweep on the tops that hits a lot of people's wrists on the drop when they sprint.

Thanks for the 2 cents, I'll consider that!

drainyoo wrote:If you're set on matching everything, I would go for the lightest setup, which in this case seems like the Deda Superleggera setup. But just in case, here are some other options to consider:

Easton EC90 SLX3 Handlebar
Easton EC90 SL Stem
Easton EC90 Zero Seatpost
Weight: 509g

Thomson Handlebars
Thomson X4 Elite Stem
Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
Weight: 523g

Thanks! Personally, I wouldn't go either. I don't really like the shape of the Thomson bars, and Easton's seatposts have that bulge by the clamp that looks kinda funky.
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

drainyoo

by drainyoo

rheosibal wrote:Thanks! Personally, I wouldn't go either. I don't really like the shape of the Thomson bars, and Easton's seatposts have that bulge by the clamp that looks kinda funky.

Agreed. I don't like it for the same reason. Just figured I'd throw it out there.

project3

by project3

Jo. K can share with me where you order your Deda handlebar? I have been waiting and hunting for it for years. Thanks.

jo.k wrote:I like both the styling and the shape of the Deda RHM bars. FWIW, I just received a pair of 42 cm Trentacinque Superleggero, and they came in 2 grams underweight at 178 g. However, the corresponding ø35 mm stems can be a bit of PITA to get hold off ... mine are currently backordered at Wiggle, and there are not that many alternatives on the market.

Arc

by Arc

Actual weights of my superlogic combo

Ritchey Superlogic Single Bolt UD 175g
Ritchey Superlogic C260 UD (100) 125g
Ritchey Superlogic Evocurve UD 202g

Very happy with it :)

PSM

by PSM

On a CAAD. FSA. Full stop.

jo.k

by jo.k

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I'm a big Ritchey fan. The WCS stuff is great. I've been happy with the WCS aluminum bars (the best bang for the buck IMO in terms of weight, stiffness and price) and the Evolution carbon bars. Both have been solid.

And Ritchey stems are equally a good combo of weight, stiffness and price.

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Arc wrote:Actual weights of my superlogic combo

Ritchey Superlogic Single Bolt UD 175g
Ritchey Superlogic C260 UD (100) 125g
Ritchey Superlogic Evocurve UD 202g

Very happy with it :)

Fantastic! KWalker says that the Evocurce has an annoying backsweep on the top that get's in the way when sprinting. Can you confirm that? Also if you don't mind, can you send me a picture of your setup? I'd love to see that!

Thanks again for the weight clarifications!

PSM wrote:On a CAAD. FSA. Full stop.

But...FSA...don't really like them :(

jo.k wrote:Deda Superleggera 35 @Wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-superlegge ... handlebar/

That's a great price! Ahh too bad the 31.7 superleggera aren't that low :(

topflightpro wrote:I'm a big Ritchey fan. The WCS stuff is great. I've been happy with the WCS aluminum bars (the best bang for the buck IMO in terms of weight, stiffness and price) and the Evolution carbon bars. Both have been solid.

And Ritchey stems are equally a good combo of weight, stiffness and price.

Awesome, thanks a bunch

kos

by kos

rheosibal wrote:Option 5:
I already own Zipp Service Course SL bars and I would purchase:
Zipp SL Sprint Stem
Zipp SL Speed Seatpost
Combined listed weight: 600g

Confirmed weights on my setup:

Contour SL bars: 188g (40 cm)
Service Course SL Stem: 120g (100 mm, lighter than SL Sprint)
SL Speed seatpost: 160g

The seatpost was originally 185g before getting cut down to size.

So total: 493 w/uncut seatpost, 468 cut. A much lighter Zipp cockpit than 600g.

Edit: Aside from the weights, you asked for opinions about these setups. These Zipp parts look fantastic on my Crumpton. In fact, I need to get around to taking some pictures so I can post them to the Gallery forum. As for functionality, handlebars are a matter of taste. I will always swear by my Contour SL bars. As for the seat post, the seat clamp and two-bolt mechanism are a bit of a pain to get right. But nothing beyond mild annoyance.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

All ENVE and ENVE wheels (and fork).
carbonLORD.com

rheosibal

by rheosibal

kos wrote:
rheosibal wrote:Option 5:
I already own Zipp Service Course SL bars and I would purchase:
Zipp SL Sprint Stem
Zipp SL Speed Seatpost
Combined listed weight: 600g

Confirmed weights on my setup:

Contour SL bars: 188g (40 cm)
Service Course SL Stem: 120g (100 mm, lighter than SL Sprint)
SL Speed seatpost: 160g

The seatpost was originally 185g before getting cut down to size.

So total: 493 w/uncut seatpost, 468 cut. A much lighter Zipp cockpit than 600g.

Edit: Aside from the weights, you asked for opinions about these setups. These Zipp parts look fantastic on my Crumpton. In fact, I need to get around to taking some pictures so I can post them to the Gallery forum. As for functionality, handlebars are a matter of taste. I will always swear by my Contour SL bars. As for the seat post, the seat clamp and two-bolt mechanism are a bit of a pain to get right. But nothing beyond mild annoyance.

Hey thank you! I have Zipp SC SL Bars (SSR Bend), and I absolutely love them. The thing with Zipp, is that I am not too fond of the SS and Traditional bends, and unfortunately those are the only available bends for their carbon line.

If I decide with Zipp, I'll just keep my bars and SC SL stem, and just purchase the SL Speed seatpost to match :)

Thanks again!

carbonLORD wrote:All ENVE and ENVE wheels (and fork).

That's super tempting. If I change the fork, I'll probably change it to an evo fork, but it's not a necessary upgrade. As for wheels, I was able to order 2014 Zipp 404s for a killer deal so my wheels may mismatch with my cockpit...I don't really mind.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I gone with Deda superleggerero for my Sannino build. Damm nice bars and stems. Thomson for me do MTB kit, still can't get my head round them doing road kit.