Speedplay internals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wcl4

by Wcl4

If I were to buy the chromoly version and replace the spindles with Ti, would that become as light as the Ti version? Are there any other differences aside from the spindle?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

barsook77

by barsook77

Why go through all that trouble?

spliid

by spliid

Save money? Ward or j&l are way cheaper than speedplays own

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Chromoly $80 used + $55 spindles < $180 used ti. Plus, I can try tuning chromoly bodies without having a lot of money in if it doesn't go well.

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

Depends on the model. Zero Ti have the same bearing arrangement as the Zero Chromoly. The X series Ti has a different bearing arrangement than its chromo counterpart.

Just remember with the Zero Ti, the spindle changes from chromoly to ti, but it also shrinks laterally compared to the chromoly spindle. This is to compensate for the softer material, but it also gains you a degree or two of cornering clearance. Check to ensure any aftermarket spindles are shorter than the chromo OEMs that you remove, because I think Speedplay has the right idea regarding Ti spindle strength.

Also, the Nanograms are their own thing, different in every way.

-Tim

Nebby

by Nebby

Thanks for the heads up regarding the spindle length. I already picked up the aftermarket spindle and I'm looking at picking up a used set zero chromoly pedals to mod, so I'll keep that in mind when I'm swapping them.

tantra

by tantra

Speedplay definitely does not like you mix and matching. For the X and zero pedals, the stainless and Ti have the same bearings. You can (I did) buy a X2 body to run on a Ti spindle. The chrom-moly spindle is different. The Ti spindle is shorter than the stainless, I guess for lightness. Speedplay aggressively goes after third party suppliers, which is why you cannot buy speedplay-compatible spindles, or Al or Ti bowties. I sure wish Speedplay would release Ti bowties for the X and zero pedals. Probably would sell a lot.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have purchased some steel Zero's and updated everything except the body and caps. I had semi ceramic and full ceramic bearings with alloy bow ties and tie bolts. Along with the Nanogram cleats, they were slightly lighter than the Nanograms [not by much]. The only issue I had was with the full ceramic bearing does not have the side loads that a steel has and it came apart during a sprint. Needless to say, I no longer use the full ceramic bearings any longer. Using oil instead of grease made the pedals spin better.

All this is is just a placebo, I know, but the pedals work great even now.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Where did you get the alloy ties and bolts? You can pm me if you don't want to publicly post.

Rick

by Rick

I have been planning on doing something similar myself.
But I thought that you could upgrade a Stainless Zero or Light Action with a Ti spindle, but the Cromo spindles and bearings and body internals are actually different, so not upgradable.

Am I wrong ?
Research it carefully before spending the money.

Dammit

by Dammit

SOP for me is to buy the Chromoly pedals, whip the axles out and replace with aftermarket Ti.

It's simple and easy, knocks a big chunk of weight off, and works out to roughly the same cost as some stainless steel ones.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Dammit wrote:SOP for me is to buy the Chromoly pedals, whip the axles out and replace with aftermarket Ti.

It's simple and easy, knocks a big chunk of weight off, and works out to roughly the same cost as some stainless steel ones.

It's what I have done twice and also replaed the bolts with allow and the bowties with ti. Works fine

You can get all that stuff from dulight.fr as well

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drmutley

by drmutley

Rick wrote:I have been planning on doing something similar myself.
But I thought that you could upgrade a Stainless Zero or Light Action with a Ti spindle, but the Cromo spindles and bearings and body internals are actually different, so not upgradable.

Am I wrong ?
Research it carefully before spending the money.

No, they're are quite upgradable... I put ultra short Ti spindles into 3 sets of stock Chromoloy Zeros today in under 10 minutes...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com