Campy shifters on Pro Stealth Evo bars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gfk60

by gfk60

Hello!

My LBS installed a new Pro Stealth Evo integrated bar for me but have had problems getting the Campy Super Record 11 shifters to tighten. They claim the bars, being compact, have a smaller radius at the point the shifters tighten on the bar and there's not enough thread to tighten them properly. I can find pics of Campy shifters on these bars but only the ergo version. Anyone know if it can be done? Is this Campy being annoying or PRO being awkward? Or is the LBS not trying hard enough?! Cheers!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Pro is made by Shimano.....Shimano and Campy are not compatible.

:smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

headwind816

by headwind816

We need pictures. I wonder if the angle you want to achieve is too high up on the bar where the diameter begins to increase rapidly ... I can only speculate without pictures ... Did I mention we need pictures?

DMF

by DMF

It is IME a Campy problem and common with a lot of bars. This sounds daft, I know, as it is likely loose as hell no matter how much you tighten it (again, common...) but carbon paste actually really does the trick. Be as liberal as you can with the application without it being "wet" when applied around the whole clamping area.

I apply more than needed in these cases, and then carefully with my fingertip smear it out just until it is "dry". You will still need to tighten down the clamps but usually nowhere near the harsch end-of-threads levels that you did before.

This all comes from experience and also reading the same thing multiple times on different forums.

jockster

by jockster

How large is the gap?
What about some Loctite retainer? (Not threadlock)

barsook77

by barsook77

No problems whatsoever using Campy SR with Pro Evo's and this is my second build with that combo.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

@DMF
gfk60 wrote:....and there's not enough thread to tighten them properly.

Carbon paste wouldn't solve this problem if the facts are correct.
It sounds like the bikeshop is erring on the side of caution.

@gfk60
gfk60 wrote:Or is the LBS not trying hard enough?! Cheers!

I think they aren't trying hard enough. They could use longer "T" bolts and / or longer clamp nuts to achieve more thread location. Titanium brake nuts (available in various lengths) can be used as clamp nuts.

DMF

by DMF

5 8 5, I speak from experience. Have had this exact same issue (as have others) and you could tighten that bolt with seriously unhealthy force, and the levers would still sit too loose on the bars. This actually happens from time to time (but seemingly, Campy is always the common denominator), and carbon friction paste actually helps.
The rest might be theory, but these are the real world proven facts.

barsook77

by barsook77

Ya have to wonder ... did you get a counterfeit (knockoff set) ? My guys have built dozens of sets up with this combo and no complaints.

jasonsv

by jasonsv

I run campy on my Pro Stealth evo no problems at all

em3

by em3

headwind816 wrote:We need pictures. I wonder if the angle you want to achieve is too high up on the bar where the diameter begins to increase rapidly ... I can only speculate without pictures ... Did I mention we need pictures?

+1...it's not a Campagnolo problem, it's a where u r placing ur levers problem. EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com