New Orbea Orca models?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yoshirider

by yoshirider

Has anyone seen the 2014 Orca OMR or OMP models in person or better yet taken them out for a spin? I'm interested to know if they're as nice as the previous generation and also curious about stiffness, aero, and weight. I have a 2012 Gold bike that I bought used and I'm thinking of getting the OMP model for the lifetime warranty, but I'm worried that I'd be downgrading going this route. Any real life experience would be helpful. Thanks!

neeb

by neeb

Is there actually any difference between the 2014 and 2012 frames apart from different paint? The lines look exactly the same. The team issue model has a radically different paint job that makes it look different, but the profiles of the frame itself look identical.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yoshirider

by yoshirider

yes, there are differences. here's what an Orbea rep told me and what other sites have said:

1. OMP frameset is similar in weight to the previous gen Gold frame. OMR frame is quite a bit lighter than Gold. weights have been reduced by 10% and stiffness increased by 8%
2. fork is 7% more aero (also looks thinner), offset for smaller frames to solve toe overlap issue
3. BB30 (previous gen) -> Shimano Pressfit bottom bracket standard
4. new geometry based on stack and reach. seat and head angles are different
5. internal cabling system
6. no more carbon weave finish
7. thinner seat stays

neeb

by neeb

Wow, the new frames look extremely similar given the claimed changes.

The 2012 did have internal cable routing. I can just about see that the fork might be different, and if they have new forks that could explain the different geometry as regards offset. They could have used a different layup in the same moulds without the cosmetic carbon layer, which would cover the weight & claimed stiffness difference.

But if the seat and head angles are different I guess it must be a completely new frame. Unusual for a manufacturer to invest in a completely new frame design and not make it look distinctly different!

yoshirider

by yoshirider

The previous model did not have internal cable routing for derailleur cables. They made us use sealed cables (liner) that ran down the downtube. The liner protected the frame from cable rub and improved shifting.

They claim that the new internal routing will improve aerodynamics. Cervelo did the same thing on their new 2014 R3 model. It does look neater, but I don't know how it will affect shifting. My 2012 gold shifts flawless with gore ride on and DA7900 and much better than my previous DA7800 bike.