The end of an era for Colnago :(

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LionelB

by LionelB

Calnago wrote:@LionelB: That's the chance I'd take :). Plus, every bike is different in some ways. You get used to those differences and adjust. Still, something about the Colnago brand that stirs my soul (I know, I know, soul... schmoul).

when i bought the Crumpton I kept the C50. After 6 months I rode it twice and well it was quite "inferior"

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Well, makes me glad that I have a traditional C59 :D

My question is, whats the issue with PF/BB30? I've never had a lick of problems with the BB30 on my other bike and its super easy to maintain.

Why all the negative PF/BB30 comments? Seems like an opportunity to run more crank options without having to fiddle with different types of BB's and can be adapted for those who do not yet manufacture a dedicated BB30 system.

EDIT: I just checked the inventory sheet and there are 7 non sloping frames remaining on the "Sale Sheet". Contact Colnago USA.

53 TSEI
54 GDWH
55 TSRD
55 GDRD
57 MTBK
60 TSIT
63 NERO
carbonLORD.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
The big negative with press fit is creaking. Happens more with this type of solution. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with the bottom bracket on the current c-59. More than stiff enough. Press fit is a solution looking for a problem.

Cant say in the 2,000 miles I have put on my S-W Venge I have had a single creak, and I'm 100 kilo and dont baby the bike by any means, but I do keep my equipment clean and in tip top condition.

I guess it depends on, the bike, the crank, the mechanic and luck.
carbonLORD.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Calnago wrote:@Wingnut: Maybe I did go to the wrong builder, although he was highly respected, recommended, blah blah blah, all the things that make you got to someone like that in the first place. But I believe the point I was making is valid. The fact that you get a custom frame, means it's "custom", not automatically better. Of course we'd like to think that. I did. It may very well be better, and if you've got some weird body anomalies going on, then fine. But generally speaking, you are taking the word of the builder, and you do not have the benefit of knowing the builder tested a "lot" of identical framesets with people of your size with various different tubes etc. They are simply too small to do that. A custom builder alone may build what, 100 plus or minus frames a year. They take their best guess at what you want and build it. And I would say in most cases you end up with a very fine bicycle. And how many people, who after spending a good chunk of change, and waiting a very long time sometimes, get on their newly delivered custom bicycle and say... "Wow, this sucks... I like my old bike better". I'd say... oh, about zero. Hopefully, after the excitement of the new bike is long gone, they can still love it as much.

Hey Calnago,

I would say yes you picked the wrong builder...a good custom builder would look at your current bike, it's dimensions, your position on it and what you aren't happy with the current ride...etc. Any custom frames I've had usually have the same dimensions as my Merlin Ti's, I'm sure I could be fit better but I'm fairly comfortable with my position atm...

And yes I would agree that "off the shelf" will suit most people but I would also say many people don't know any different and get used to mediocracy when it comes to their bike fit, they don't really know any better IMO...

Check the forums, many a custom frame sold not long after so yes there's no guarantee...

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

All is not lost Colnago Lovers!!

The traditional is going to be available in the new C60 :D

regards
ianSWBB

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Very good news! Puzzles me why they say they'll continue the C59 through 2017 yet not offer traditional anymore in that model then come out with the C60 and offer it in at least some traditional sizes. Any insight on this @IanSWBB? What's the real scoop?

My guess is they've got enough c59 tubes and lugs in stock to meet projected demand through 2017, end of story, and that nothing new is being produced for the C59.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Wingnut wrote:Check the forums, many a custom frame sold not long after so yes there's no guarantee...

I think forums are, in part, to blame for this. People read a pile of threads on how sensational a custom bike can be, go through the process, but get let down because they've possibly built it up for more than a bike could be.

That the whole custom process, as mentioned, really does benefit from the the builder knowing what you're looking for notwithstanding. As the great Dr Perry Cox said

"Help me to help you"

People not willing or able to be that open with their custom builder would then benefit more from a stock bike. Otherwise I'd struggle to appreciate (and never yet experienced) how a stock bike would top a custom offering from the same manufacturer.

As an aside, I do love a Calnago sweeping generalisation. Been a while since we've had one. A broadside at custom frame builders wasn't what I expected, but hey why not.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

@Calnago

Yes, you have more or less hit the nail on the head!
When I was chatting with Laura yesterday at Colnago HQ, they have a good stock of C59 sloping lugs and C59 tubes, so will continue with production until stock is used
She didn't say whether they would be re-visiting colour schemes or bringing out new ones - I must ask her next week

The lugs for the new C60 are different to those from the C59, which is why all of a sudden it appears a U-turn from just a few weeks ago, when they said they were stopping traditional geometry frames - when she told me that, she obviously meant for the C59 !

So for the near future, we will have both - the C59 and the C60

For the C60, they're going to sort out the initial distributor orders for the sloping versions first (Apr-Jun), then tackle the traditional (Sep) and finally the Disc brake version (Sep/Oct)
When all that is done, they will see where they're at with regards to custom orders

So if you want a custom sized one, it's going to be the back end of this year, at best!!

regards
ianSWBB

barsook77

by barsook77

@barsook77: Yes, please report back with how you like it. Plus, when you got your Eriksen I'm assuming you had a lot of riding experience under your belt and knew pretty much exactly what you wanted, versus someone that doesn't really understand the first thing about frame geometry etc. and goes to a custom builder, because he can.[/quote]

Hey Calnago. Just took possession two days ago and gave it the once over. All I can say is that I'm really impressed with this ride!
ImageImage

For anyone interested, the rest of the pix are up on the twoHubs.com website. Feb.26,2014

I wanted a Mapei sloping, set up for mechanical without the extra holes for electronic. I had to wait a few months, but it was worth it. I need not to go on about the company, except to confirm they really know how to dial it in for an overall grand tour machine.

My previous Ti bikes were a VaMoots and a Compact. Then I went directly to Kent when Moots started using Reynolds tubing and cutting some corners. Kent took about a month with me over the phone talking about the way I ride and previous bikes I owned and liked. And that's a lot of bikes! Rather than suggest anything other than sloping geo with oversized Sandvik and Haynes titanium, I let him do as he pleased on the angles. I needed lateral stiffness, a smooth rider on chip seal and STABLE on 60 mph descents. It was a great bike with mind blowing workmanship, welds and finish. Kent is a great person to work with and anyone wanting something sublime in Ti should look him up in Steamboat Springs, Co.

That being said ... the C59 is a different animal yet with many of the same qualities I desire. @14 lbs 7 oz. pictured, we'll see how the T1000 holds up under mondo gearing loads! This will be fun ... as the bike is fast. :)

BTW ... I thought your attention to detail on the matte carbon bike you own was outstanding and probably one the most tastefully done builds I have seen to date. Nice job. :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Barsook77: Very nice indeed. When you said it only weighed 14lbs 7oz, I thought no way looking at the parts... but then I see there's no pedals or bottle cages. I think you should report a "ridable" weight, and to me that means pedals and at least one water bottle cage. Oh, and what size is that?

I see you have the Bora 35's, I hope to get to try them out this year sometime. I'm trying to convince my friend to get a set for his new C59 (arriving next week). And thanks for the kudos on my Matte C59.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

beeatnik

by beeatnik

LionelB wrote:
Calnago wrote:@LionelB: That's the chance I'd take :). Plus, every bike is different in some ways. You get used to those differences and adjust. Still, something about the Colnago brand that stirs my soul (I know, I know, soul... schmoul).

when i bought the Crumpton I kept the C50. After 6 months I rode it twice and well it was quite "inferior"

Imagine if Voeckler were on a Crumpton. Dude would have about 7 TDFS by now.

LionelB

by LionelB

beeatnik wrote:Imagine if Voeckler were on a Crumpton. Dude would have about 7 TDFS by now.

I never said the Crumpton made me or anyone else faster. I've ridden enough to know that it's not the bike that makes you faster :D

barsook77

by barsook77

Calnago wrote:@Barsook77: Very nice indeed. When you said it only weighed 14lbs 7oz, I thought no way looking at the parts... but then I see there's no pedals or bottle cages. I think you should report a "ridable" weight, and to me that means pedals and at least one water bottle cage. Oh, and what size is that?

I see you have the Bora 35's, I hope to get to try them out this year sometime. I'm trying to convince my friend to get a set for his new C59 (arriving next week). And thanks for the kudos on my Matte C59.

Sorry for the delay but I've been out there riding instead of talking about it.

Into week 26 right now.

To answer: The bike weighs in at 14 lbs 14oz with Time Ti 12 pedals, 2 Blackburn carbon cages and Veloflex Extremes.That is the "rideable" weight Got the ee's and they are lighter than the Campy's. It is a 56 sloping. TT is 57.5 cm

For me, any lighter is really an issue in handling and what I believe to be diminishing returns. 177 lbs 5'10.5 and yes I can still crank out the watts at my advanced age.

The Bora 35's are great. Less noisy than the Bora 50's. Never gone out of true in the last 6k miles with tons of pounding, tt's and hard cornering. Just back from Mammoth Lakes after some epic rides. I find the C59 cranks with the best of 'em. I've gotten some of my best times on this bike but still find it a little "soft" i.e. springy although I've never descended faster than on this one. Overall a very good bike that makes people stop what they are doing when it rolls into the shop. Not that I buy something for that reason ...

All the best ...