The end of an era for Colnago :(

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

The last of the traditional C59 framesets has been produced

We tried to order one this morning, to be told the last of the traditional lugs was sold earlier this week and they won't be getting any more

So it's sloping geometry only from now on

regards

ianSWBB

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Kind-of gotten used to sloping and they didn't make traditional in my size, so not a huge loss. I think the bigger loss is seeing Colnago jump on the press-fit-bb band wagon. They threw out what works, in favor of a few grams and saving a little on production costs. Negligible benefit to the buyer, if any.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

Finally! :thumbup:

( :wink: )

DMF

by DMF

Ehm, maybe something to do with the C59 being replaced completely by the next generation of Colnagos in a near future? I think you're jumping to your own conclusions about this being the end of traditional sizes. Bet there won't be any more sloping C59's either as soon as they run out of those lugs...

Could be wrong ofcourse, but that seems like the more logical reasoning here.

corky

by corky

Hope you're right DMF..... I liked that colnago offered both sexes

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The C60 will be sloping only. What I'm hoping is that they at least offer it in one centimeter incremental sizing, but I think that is wishful thinking. I was glad to hear that at least for the first iteration of the C60 it will still be a lugged frame, albeit with a pressfit Bottom Bracket (ugh). I suspect it's only a matter of time before the lugs are gone as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

As far as I'm concerned, buying a properly fitting Colnago was actually better than buying custom. I've had custom, and while it is possible to get three points that "fit" (saddle, pedals, handlebars) that doesn't mean it translates into a perfect handling bicycle, or even aesthetically pleasing bicycle. When a custom builder says his frame is specific for you, you have to ask "how so?". It should be a given that it will fit, but when they say the tubes are specific for you I question that a lot, because how do you really know? You just take his word for it. You don't get to say, well... I'd like to try the same frame but with less stiff tubes, or with stiffer tubes. When the frame is done, you take it home, you ride it, you say "Wow, I've got a 'custom' frame". I've been down that road. Custom frame, spend a ton... of course I want to think it was the best frame I could have possibly had. But it wasn't. That's not to say I don't appreciate the craftsmanship of some of the custom builders out there (Firefly Ti for example), just that with a Colnago, or any major tested brand, you get tried and proven geometry. A bike is a bike, after all... just some seem a little bit nicer than others.

But you are right @Trektocolnago, with each passing year Colnago becomes just a bit more generic. Be happy you have a C59. It will be a frame to own for many years.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

If Colnago stick with 1cm increments I think we can expect them to continue with lugged construction. Single centimetre increments is the best thing these frames have going for them ... and a threaded BB shell, of course.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Calnago wrote:As far as I'm concerned, buying a properly fitting Colnago was actually better than buying custom. I've had custom, and while it is possible to get three points that "fit" (saddle, pedals, handlebars) that doesn't mean it translates into a perfect handling bicycle, or even aesthetically pleasing bicycle. When a custom builder says his frame is specific for you, you have to ask "how so?". It should be a given that it will fit, but when they say the tubes are specific for you I question that a lot, because how do you really know? You just take his word for it. You don't get to say, well... I'd like to try the same frame but with less stiff tubes, or with stiffer tubes. When the frame is done, you take it home, you ride it, you say "Wow, I've got a 'custom' frame". I've been down that road. Custom frame, spend a ton... of course I want to think it was the best frame I could have possibly had. But it wasn't. That's not to say I don't appreciate the craftsmanship of some of the custom builders out there (Firefly Ti for example), just that with a Colnago, or any major tested brand, you get tried and proven geometry. A bike is a bike, after all... just some seem a little bit nicer than others.

I know this is off topic...

I wasn't going to bite but...if you're talking about Colnago specifically then I can't argue with with regard to custom versus off the shelf as I don't have one...but if you're not then you obviously went to the wrong builder, you're painting with a pretty broad brush...IMO...

TimW

by TimW

If Colnago do sloping in 1cm increments then that's fine, they don't now though (I'd have loved a 49s!). Everytime you see anything from Colnago they always bang on about the fact they do frames in 22 sizes and fit is everything. So now they are suddenly saying, actually it isn't...

For me the whole really made in Italy is more important than lugged or not. Without this and doubly without the size options then you might as well consider any other made in the east brand. That is not to say they are better or worse but it are unique key sales features that made Colnago different. I sure wouldn't pay a premium just for the name.

Agree with Calnago above about custom etc..lower resale value too.

LionelB

by LionelB

I really liked my C50, but 6 months after getting my Crumpton it was sold because there was 0 reason to pick the C50. The Crumpton does everything better. YMMV.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Wingnut: Maybe I did go to the wrong builder, although he was highly respected, recommended, blah blah blah, all the things that make you got to someone like that in the first place. But I believe the point I was making is valid. The fact that you get a custom frame, means it's "custom", not automatically better. Of course we'd like to think that. I did. It may very well be better, and if you've got some weird body anomalies going on, then fine. But generally speaking, you are taking the word of the builder, and you do not have the benefit of knowing the builder tested a "lot" of identical framesets with people of your size with various different tubes etc. They are simply too small to do that. A custom builder alone may build what, 100 plus or minus frames a year. They take their best guess at what you want and build it. And I would say in most cases you end up with a very fine bicycle. And how many people, who after spending a good chunk of change, and waiting a very long time sometimes, get on their newly delivered custom bicycle and say... "Wow, this sucks... I like my old bike better". I'd say... oh, about zero. Hopefully, after the excitement of the new bike is long gone, they can still love it as much.

@Timw: Agreed, if Colnago does not offer the sloping only frame in incremental sizes of 1cm, they have lost one of the biggest advantages that truly does set them apart in today's world of mass produced bicycles. Without that, they are one step closer to being just another generic brand of frame with some history.

@LionelB: Love your Crumpton. If I ever get over there again, we will need to go for a spin and swap bikes. Would love to try it. Everyone is different. When you find a frame you love, regardless of who made it, it's a keeper.

LionelB

by LionelB

Calnago wrote:@LionelB: Love your Crumpton. If I ever get over there again, we will need to go for a spin and swap bikes. Would love to try it. Everyone is different. When you find a frame you love, regardless of who made it, it's a keeper.

That's a dangerous test, you may want to drop your Colnago :mrgreen:

barsook77

by barsook77

To answer Calnago...I had an Eriksen sloping built for me that fulfilled all my requirements to a t. But then again, Kent quizzed me for a month before he built it.

Just ordered a C59 sloping and am aware of the differences on paper. It will be interesting to compare the ride and stability characteristics with a very expensive "off the shelf" frameset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@LionelB: That's the chance I'd take :). Plus, every bike is different in some ways. You get used to those differences and adjust. Still, something about the Colnago brand that stirs my soul (I know, I know, soul... schmoul).

@barsook77: Yes, please report back with how you like it. Plus, when you got your Eriksen I'm assuming you had a lot of riding experience under your belt and knew pretty much exactly what you wanted, versus someone that doesn't really understand the first thing about frame geometry etc. and goes to a custom builder, because he can.