Dura-Ace 9000 FD shifting pattern

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wca9922

by wca9922

Guys,

This is my first post to this forum. I just wanted to share my observations with you and if you are using the same system, let me know if you face the same observations.

Took me a few good hours to install the new Dura Ace 9000 group on my S-works SL4. I was using the 7900 for a good 2.5 years before this. Installation was quite straight forward and I confirm here that you do need inline barrel adjusters to get the FD to work properly. It's needed to get the low position adjustment to work correctly ( small chainring with 4 smallest sprockets).

I have noticed quite a number of differences the shift patterns between FD-9000 with FD-7900. I know that t-trim doesn't exist for 7900 .

In the dealer manual , the index points for the FD-9000 are labelled as ( from lowest position to highest position ) as:
L-trim <--> Low <--> T-trim <--> Top.

Some of my observations:
1) Shifting up and down is sequential on this shifter. Unline 7900 where it goes Top <--> Low <--> Low trim
2) Some times the down shift is slow especially when shifter is pressed from T-trim to Low position. Chain is slow to drop to small chainring. Another tap is needed to engage the L-trim position to complete the shift
3) The distance moved between Top to T-trim for the FD is very minor.
4) The distance moved between L-trim to Low for the FD is significant and larger than top-t-trim
5) When dropping from big chainring to small chainring, the FD will stop at low position. Another tap is required to move the FD to L-trim position.
6) Upshifts are all great and normally will reach the Top position all the time.
7) Shifting works better on the work bench than on the actual road. When on the road shifts with load, the delay in downshifting is observed.

Can you guys confirm what I am observing on the FD shifting pattern is part of the design of the shifter or I perhaps have got too much tension or the FD to chainring clearence is a tad too big to get this delay in the downshift.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

I don't have first hand experience with 9000 but I did have 6800 installed recently which is similar.
Yes, the top trim is smaller than the low trim.
Yes, when dropping from big chainring to small chainring, the FD stops at the low position. Another tap is required to move the FD to L-trim position.
The majority of my upshifts are smooth but I'm still tweaking mine as time goes on.
Mine is quite quick to downshift.
With regards to cable tension I just tried to find the balance of eliminating rub in the top trim (big chainring/largest sprocket) without losing the distance moved on the low trim.

I asked a similar question here a few days ago with a response from efeballi viewtopic.php?f=3&t=122653
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

aerozy

by aerozy

A little baffled with the over descriptive nature of your post. You basically have two groups that have not been installed correctly.

Any of those groups have sequential shifting (like every other group! :noidea: ). A well installed group does not require any trimming or adjustments on the go.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

mrd

by mrd

remember on 9000 FD you have two options for cable clamping determined by the angle the cable leaves the bottom bracket to the clamp bolt. Mine works perfectly, all 4 positions, no in line adjuster, all 22 gears with no chain rub with 52/36 Q rings BUT, cable tension has to be perfect otherwise you will lose one of the trims. Various on-line installation guides/videos are available. The distance the cage moves between top trim and top is very small .

Svetty

by Svetty

It's worth bearing in mind that the cable pathway is effectively the same whichever position the anchor bolt washer plate is positioned in - the plate simply moves the lowest point of attachment/pivot in-board a few mm when in the 'on' position.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

aerozy wrote:A little baffled with the over descriptive nature of your post. You basically have two groups that have not been installed correctly.

Any of those groups have sequential shifting (like every other group! :noidea: ). A well installed group does not require any trimming or adjustments on the go.

Incorrect. Dura Ace 9000 certainly does require trimming on the go. It is in the manual.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com