BMC SLR01 vs BMC Impec?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidthepark

by davidthepark

I am aware that BMC Impec is supposed to be an 'impeccable' carbon frame, providing an one-of-a-kind ride experience.
However, BMC's halo bike seems to be the Team Machine SLR01. What is the main difference between the Impec and the SLR01?
Is there a massive contrast in the comfort, ride quality, etc?

Also, it would be great if you guys could also input how the SLR01 compares to the Tarmac SL4.

Thanks!!!

dvincere

by dvincere

I don't know the differences so much but I do recall this quote from Cycling Tips post at the start of the Tour Down Under:
"The BMC Impec has to be one of the most interesting bikes to look at with so many distinguishing features. Most riders we speak to on BMC prefer the SLR01 Teammachine though. "
Source: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/01/2014- ... ur-part-1/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidthepark

by davidthepark

dvincere wrote:I don't know the differences so much but I do recall this quote from Cycling Tips post at the start of the Tour Down Under:
"The BMC Impec has to be one of the most interesting bikes to look at with so many distinguishing features. Most riders we speak to on BMC prefer the SLR01 Teammachine though. "
Source: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/01/2014- ... ur-part-1/

I red that too. What has me so curious is WHY riders like the SLR01 better than the Impec

dogg

by dogg

haven't ridden one but just going on the info on bmcs webpage the slr is 1kg lighter in stock form and the geo is a bit more 'long and low'. which is why i imagine the pros prefer it over the impec. just my $0.02

plpete

by plpete

I have not ridden the Impec but I am a very happy owner of the SLR01. I'm pretty sure it's not the stiffest race bike out there, nor the lightest or most areo but I feel like its the best combination of all the qualities. That and I find it extremely comfortable for long rides. It's not a comfort bike by any means but not a bone shaker either. The ride is quite defined and the whole bike feels very solid. Maybe that's why the pros like it so much. The geometry favors a longer top tube and maybe that is something the pros prefer allowing them to go long and low. My 53cm frame has a 55cm top tube FYI. The Impec has been a bit of vaporware not being easily available until recently all the while the SLR gathered praise and reviews.

ARL002

by ARL002

I was able to test ride the new 2014 BMC SLR01 which has been significantly redesigned despite looking relatively the same as previous years. It is a much stiffer and responsive bike while maintaining the compliance of the frame.

neeb

by neeb

I don't think I've ever seen a review or a ride report for the Impec. Supposedly BMC have a special hi-tech factory full of robots dedicated to making the things, but are selling hardly any. I've always wondered if the reason is availability, bad pricing/marketing or something underwhelming about the bike itself. The fact that it is such a flagship project for BMC and the pro team seem to have to be constantly prodded to ride the things occasionally doesn't inspire confidence. I remember during the 2011 TdF Evans rode the SLR01 nearly all of the time, but they gave him a special yellow Impec and persuaded him to hold up in front of the Arc de Triomphe at the end.. Quite funny really.

The new 2014 SLR01 is supposed to be excellent in al respects.

thasle

by thasle

I visited BMC in Grenchen this summer, and asked several of the staff engineers about this. Real funny replies.

They did not include the Impec in the presentation of their models (no time for that), but offered a tour at the Impec factory. I did instead go for a ride with one of the engineers behind the new SLR01, on a SLR01. I tested the old version of the SLR01 in 2012, and really liked that, but the new version was a completely different bike. Still the "magic carpet ride" of the old one, but now also a very sharp and responsive frame.

I tested the Tarmac SL4 S-works Red up against a BMC SLR01 7970 in 2012. Completely different bikes. Nice geometry, and nice ride feel on both but completely opposite in terms of comfort. My teeth literary shaking and almost loosing grip of the handlebar on the SL4, the BMC absorbed every little irregularity on the asphalt. For crits and pure racing I would love the SL4, it handled like a dream, and a 58 cm was 6.3 kgs stock without pedals. Still I would pick the SLR01, and without no doubt would go for the new SLR01 compared with SL4.

Back to the Impec, my discussion with the BMC guys were something like this;
-Where would place the Impec compared to the new SLR01.
-You can not compare them, the Impec is a swiss made high tech product.
-Is it lighter?
-No
-Is it stiffer?
-No
-What is unique with the Impec then?
-It is develop and produces here in our own facility here in Grenchen.
-But it is a lot more expensive?
-Yes.

Three of the BMC staff responded in the same way, not willing to compare these two models at all. My thoughts is they put a lot of money and RD into the Impec project, without being able to produce something that competes with other high end frames. It is interesting to be able to weave the tubes in one operation, but they still have to join the tubes together (you are then back to lugs after all) They sell a very limited number of bikes to customers that want the most exclusive bikes. Hence the Lamborghini, Campa Super Record, LW special models.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I've seem them, I've ridden one. Had a customer stop by not to long ago with one. It's an exhausting chain of events that I have covered many, many times on other forums.

The short story, get the new SLR01.

The IMPEC debut nearly 4 years ago. Having owned an original 2003 Team Machine, the SLT01, I was in the market then. BMC had issues with the supplier of their lugs (as BMC did not produce the lugs), the frame was delayed some 2 years. They fixed the lugs. I demoed one at Interbike in 2012. I bought a Colnago C59 as no one, not even the BMC dealers in my area nor rep who frequented the RBR forums could give a straight answer, much like the engineers thasle spoke with. I liked my C59 better (where the lugs are not sandwiches).

The frame comes in 2 different geometries, race and sport. I rode the race. Bike felt light enough and did all the things you would expect, but spotty availability and no exposure from the pro's left me wondering like you, why? I have also ridden the SLR01 and RM01, both awesome machines but I had close friends who manage to keep breaking them, so I bought an S-WORKS Venge instead. If I had neither of my two bikes, I'd probably get the latest 2014 SLR01 or a SW Tarmac SL4 as I like them both equally.

The IMPEC certainly has the look, but beyond that I'd spend my top dollar elsewhere and from what everyone is saying about the latest Team Machine, and with so many pro's gravitating towards that model, seems like a no brainer.

Whats that by the stem? :wink:

My customer, with Ciamillo Gravitas cranks. (Two elusive products in one)
Last edited by carbonLORD on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
carbonLORD.com

davidthepark

by davidthepark

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to go with the SLR01! Cheers!

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I've owned both bikes with some overlap between the two. The SLR is just more comfortable and lighter. With a quarq, cages, etc, the Impec will never be 15lbs without some ridiculously lightweight wheels. So my guess is that comfort and weight would be deal killers for the pros.

That said, I still own the Impec. It's a love it or hate it look, and I happen to love it. Since I have a few other bikes that are lighter and more comfortable, I am ok with riding it for short distances.

If I had to choose between the two bikes and could only have one, I would choose the SLR (not the 2012 paint scheme though as that was hideous). I think it would serve as a better all around bike.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

thats the thing the impec to me is an engineering excercise first, and a world tour bike second. The SLR01 is designed to be winning stage races. it also looks better to me. I'm getting the 2014 version soon.

Dimitri

by Dimitri

Philbar72 wrote:thats the thing the impec to me is an engineering excercise first, and a world tour bike second. The SLR01 is designed to be winning stage races. it also looks better to me. I'm getting the 2014 version soon.

Nailed it.

Basically, the IMPEC, is the IMPEC. you get it or you don't. Comparing it to another BMC is a bit silly, BMC don't intend this.

It's a great bike. its not cheap. Neither is a TIME, C59, etc etc.

But we don't all ride 2nd hand CAAD 9's do we?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com