Best handlebar width for a 54cm frame.. I'm 5.84 ft.. Help p

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

euan

by euan

Since no one has pointed it out, Bontrager size their handlebars from center to centre in the drops compared to some others who size outside to outside.

For example the Bontrager bars on my CX bike are 40cm but size more like 42cm

arodriguez

by arodriguez

euan wrote:Since no one has pointed it out, Bontrager size their handlebars from center to centre in the drops compared to some others who size outside to outside.

For example the Bontrager bars on my CX bike are 40cm but size more like 42cm

That's good to know, quite not clear info are attached at bontrager website related to how they size.. i measured my handlebar and gave me 44cm, which means it will feel somewhat like 46cm ... Mmm quite big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

Well if you measured outside to outside and it was 44cm, then you have 44cm bars.

arodriguez

by arodriguez

euan wrote:Well if you measured outside to outside and it was 44cm, then you have 44cm bars.

I measured center to center = 44cms. Means it was probably 46cm.
I have a ritchey wcs curve 42cm and a 80mm bontrager xxx stem. I will try this mix..

arodriguez

by arodriguez

Finally have my cockpit set up with 42cms handlebar (center to center) and 80mm stem.. This is my best setup.Image

russianbear

by russianbear

Glad you found a set up that works for you now, don't be afraid to play around with widths. It's all personal preference as far as I'm concerned, like stem angle, crank length etc. I first started on 46cm bars, but those felt too wide and I decided when I built my next bike I was going to downsize. I ride a 60cm frame with 42cm bars now. Actually 41 cm o-o on the tops (fsa omegas). I'm 192cm.

Narrow bars are in right now.

arodriguez

by arodriguez

Thks for ur comments.. The only issue this is an aero handlebar, and think is intended more for aero, and I'm a more climber, also my place is very hilly.. Any experience with this handlebars

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

arodriguez wrote:Hi everyone..

Need help to find best handlebar for my Trek Madone 54cm frame. I'm 5.84 ft tall (1.76 mt).. Actually I have a Bontrager RXL carbon handlebar, 44mm wide, but kind of feel it a bit big for me. I have a 90mm stem, planning also to change for a 70 or 80 mm stem.
My concern is if there is a standard size of handlebars by a given frame size?? For example bike companies built a 52cm frame with a 40mm wide handlebar, and a 54cm frame with a 42mm handlebar??
Sorry for my ignorance, but I have searched for this answer and haven't find a positive answer..

Thanks for ur commentsImageImage

42 cm is roughly standard size, but if you have wide shoulders you may need a bigger bar. The local bike shop is the best place to start. They can measure you and ensure you get the best fit. Other than that there's riding style and personal preference. Some prefer ergonomic bars, while others prefer more of a classic shape. Depending on how wide you are they'll probably suggest 42-44 cm bar.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels