Vittoria valve extender alternative

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Got the Vittoria Corsa G+ tubulars last night and was a bit surprised that the Zipp valve extenders don't fit them. Seems like they'd need to be a mm wider to screw on. Turns out you can unscrew the whole valve at the base:

And need these Vittoria ones to extend it.

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Vitto ... m-Pair/8B6

They have removable cores which is cool. Want something in black though. Any idea what would work with Vittorias? Need them for 58mm rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

KCNC makes Vittoria like extender with removable core in black too, a bit pricey, though (fleebay). You would need something around 80mm.
Quite surprised, I thought, getting myself Paves recently with "normal" valves, that they abandoned this funny valve.

Shrike

by Shrike

Nice thanks, will check those out. Actually trying to unscrew the valve from the tub over breakfast now.. can't get it off. Either it's on mad tight or it's not meant to come off. Can't find any documentation specifically saying the Corsa G+ is definitely this type. Looks like it though, just has a black shaft thing over the valve instead of red.. :unbelievable:

jekyll man

by jekyll man

If you've got the standard shorty valves onn your tubs, then unscrew them (might be a bit tight), and fit a 30mm normal valve extender, but the opposite way around. Then screw the vittoria one onto that.

Use some ptfe tape on the threads to limit some of the airloss.

Don't bother with the topeak type extenders that lock the valve; ive had the rubber insert come out and then you're buggered as the extender wont seal as you try to blow it up.

If you're desperate for black, then get some heatshrink and fit it to the extenders. It'll stop them rattling in the rim too :)
Official cafe stop tester

Shrike

by Shrike

Urgh. Even more confuzzled now. Black bit doesn't come off!

@jekyll, so I unscrew the valve bit (done, see pic) then I screw in something like:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Vittoria-Valve- ... _94442.htm

and then I screw the valve bit I removed into the extension? So if I flat I can just remove the valve bit form the extension and fill with sealant..?

My God, who designs this crap. Just make different length valves on tubs! :D

1415chris

by 1415chris

Ok now it makes sense. This is normal valve. So they abandoned the ones shown in your first post.
You just need any extender with removable core. I find Silca ones quite cool with their anti rattling rubber sleeve.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks! Phew.. and.. now I 'get it'. Which gives me an idea..

Was trying to screw the top end of the Zipp valve extender directly onto the valve core bit before :D

Such a div! But means I can go a whole day without buying anything bike related. Yes!

mattr

by mattr

The red ones were quite short lived, a good idea but too many people had leaks and cross threadings etc. So they went back to the old design.
I've a few of the red valves and had no issues. Most of the people i know with them have no issues either.

One guy has loads of issues, but then again he'd struggle to understand how a stick works.

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah mattr, the red ones looked like the most innovative idea, which is why I thought they were the latest ones I needed. Way better idea than having multiple bits stuck together! Maybe they'll revisit the idea again and fix whatever the issue was for some folk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Don't forget to use some plumber's teflon tape between the threads...