SRAM Red Rear Derailleur Tuning with Fibre-Lyte

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aaric

by aaric

Unless you are specifically buying the wifli rear derailleur, its a short cage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

aaric wrote:Unless you are specifically buying the wifli rear derailleur, its a short cage.

Thanks. Some online shops are selling the standard with short or medium cages, so that's why I was confused. I guess they're wrong.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Wi-Fli definately has a long cage, but most people running wi-fli would probably do so knowingly, for cyclocross or unique drivetrain requirement where you want a 32T rear cassette. I'm not aware of Medium vs Short Red cages, though I see Wiggle sells "Medium" but it's WiFli... to me, WiFli = long. A WiFli backplate definitely isn't compatible with Fibre-Lyte backplates (currently) and I have no idea about the Red22 compatibility.

The older 10sp Red derailleurs have a slightly different cage shape than the AeroGlide version (new 10sp Red). The new red has a subtle squared-off profile and the cage tab on the new Red is attached to the front plate, rather than the back plate with the old Red. At least when I bought my last Fibre-Lyte plate, they were all modeled off the old Red and the standard FL included a cage tab on the backplate (super lite version does not, can be handy though).

Therefore, installing the FL plate on new Red means removing the cage tab. This will also leave a weird carbon piece sticking out that is no longer needed. It'll work fine like this, but it looks more polished if you can file that piece down.

Old Red (no modifications to FL plate)

New Red (with modifications to FL plate)

Sorry to offend with my ride-it-until-it-implodes winter chain and cassette.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks for that! All makes sense now. I really appreciate the info.

Is the tab on the FL plate easy to remove? Just it just slide off?

jvanv8

by jvanv8

There is a small screw that holds the round tab onto the plate. Remove that, then file the tab extension down until it meets up with the front plate tab.
My Cycling Blog

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Perfect. Thanks again.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

For some reason I couldn't access this thread until now. The mech plate that is shown in the photo is indeed designed for the 'old' Force/Red. We do have the later Force/Red plate (called 2013 model on our website) which doesn't have the chain jump stop because as mentioned, the outer plate has it. I'm told that plate also fits the 22 models but I need to check that out in person. Visually I'd say that it does but I haven't test fit yet. We do also have the Wifli plate in stock but it isn't on our website yet, but should be soon. As far as I'm aware, there is only the short cage for 22 / 10 speed and wifli 10 speed on the current models but I could be corrected.

Fyi, if riders want the older Red/Force plate modifying to remove the jump stop and also shortening we'd be happy to accommodate, we just need a little info on how the mods are required.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Good to get it straight from Stephen. Nice to see he's got plenty of configurations now.
My Cycling Blog

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks Stephen! A lot of great info in this thread.