MCFK Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

That's a nice looking stem! With the carbon section coming more than half way round the bar, does the bar 'pop' into the stem (with a little flexing) ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I would question stiffness if the bars just popped in.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

That is a good question. How do you get bars into the stem? I'm with Wcl4, if the clamp area flexes a little so you can get the bars in, I would question the strength as well.

Maybe you insert the bars at a skinner section and then just slide the stem over?

elfuinha

by elfuinha

It will slide by the side, like Ritchey C260, I guess.

mythical

by mythical

“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

elfuinha

by elfuinha

drainyoo wrote:Looks really nice, and the weight is great, but the price is redonculous. Also, at that price the logo should be applied using a better process than just a sticker.

I think that only a sticker is a good option, since there are other people like me that removes all logos from componentes.

RyanH

by RyanH

Their stickers are pretty high quality. The one on my saddle looks brand new even after a year of riding on it.

Mimizk

by Mimizk

I'm thinking that try to make a BarStem combo again with this new stem.

I've been waiting such this 17 degree stem by fully carbon made for a long time.
If I use this for BarStem, I can use carbon handle and stem in durable.

I've already made a BarStem with Calfee's original stem though I've not been satisfied with its neck.

Then, I also think it's better to use the same method as they use in handle clamp to the steering tube clamping part... I like this way and idea.

mythical

by mythical

MCKF might even be willing to do something like that.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

desperado95219

by desperado95219

As far as fit goes with the MCFK stem, I asked Martin (by e-mail) whether or not my Zipp Vuka Spint bar (with flat aero section) would be compatible with his stem and he assured me that there would not be a problem. (Starbike is actually taking orders as I am sure are others.)

vlastrada

by vlastrada

any real world feedback on how the MCFK stem holds up the real world rigours of hard riding, anyone? :)

slippage issues?

and how does it compare with the AX rigid...now both available in 12cm btw...

...but AX 590 euros vs. MCFK 299 euros

climber8

by climber8

bought one about a month ago to use for a special event (a hill climb / race up an 8-10% grade for ~6 miles).

i went with a 110 because it was the longest available, although i typically ride a 140.

i rode it quite hard--32-minute all-out effort. it was 5 w/kg average with some spikes (e.g. a "sprint" at the end). no slippage at all. build quality is very nice. i could not discern any flex, but by nature of this type of ride i wasn't doing a true sprint where i am pulling very hard on the bars and shoving the bike from side-to-side.

weight was right at whatever was claimed.

removed it after this race....i'll install it again for the next time weight really matters in a race (for me).

for reference, i prefer to ride the PRO vibe 7s puzzle clamp stem on my race bikes.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Any more experience on the longer lengths. Durability/stiffness. Looking at one of these or an extralite. But think the aesthetics of this would complement my bikes much more.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I'm currently awaiting my 110mm in a 3k glossy finish... I too ride a longer (120mm) stem (Time monolink Ulteam) so a stiffness comparison will be interesting.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

nagge

by nagge

Any reviews on this stem? How is the flex? Any slippage? Pondering a 110mm -17deg 3k glossy.
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com