Speedplay vs Look engagement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Getter

by Getter

Went from Look to Speedplay and never looked back.

I never had any issues with the Looks. I just didn't like how they clipped in and didn't like the spring tension once clipped in. The SP's...all I have to do is step down. The adjusted down open float keeps my knees happy.

My girlfriend got her road bike in 2012...since she is not the most coordinated person...I got her the Light Actions. She never would have never gotten off her platforms if she had to use Look or Shimano. :mrgreen:

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I've gotten two rides on the sp with new cleats. I hope they break in because the entry engagement was not easy. Once in, the exit is pretty much like every other pedal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hoegh23

by Hoegh23

I have a bad knee, and the Speedplay -for me- works best.
I enjoy the easier float regulation in Speedplay + the 2-sided clickon.

I think they are fairly easy to click in and out compared to look.
"It never gets easier - you just get faster"

zx9rmal

by zx9rmal

I've been using Speedplays for a long time. For me, there is a knack to entry. Rather than step straight down to clip in, I push forward while stepping down. Might help.
Mal
Weston, FL
'92 Merlin Extralight, 14.6 lbs.
'14 Giant Propel Advanced 2

DarkKnight

by DarkKnight

Ive been contemplating getting speedplays, using Look Keos at the moment, I do believe (from listening to all the users of SP's) that entry is so much better, second factor worried about is weight, I hope the SP's are significantly lighter as well as the bearings, I hope the rotation is smoother and 'roll'better than the looks. If these are all good, then I think I might just take the plunge and move over to the Speedplays hey. I mean whats worse than using one product and then moving over hoping to benefit and it doesn't work out (money down the tubes!) so got to make sure. Thanks again to all the posts, so far been very helpful and informative!

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I keep reading about hot spots as a result of using Speedplay. Please explain how this happens.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

zx9rmal wrote:I've been using Speedplays for a long time. For me, there is a knack to entry. Rather than step straight down to clip in, I push forward while stepping down. Might help.

With my Light Actions I just slap my foot down on the pedal and push down while pedaling and I'm clipped in. I'm always faster at clipping in than anyone in Look or Shimano pedals. Comes in handy with all of the traffic lights around here.

zx9rmal

by zx9rmal

dunbar42 wrote:
zx9rmal wrote:I've been using Speedplays for a long time. For me, there is a knack to entry. Rather than step straight down to clip in, I push forward while stepping down. Might help.

With my Light Actions I just slap my foot down on the pedal and push down while pedaling and I'm clipped in. I'm always faster at clipping in than anyone in Look or Shimano pedals. Comes in handy with all of the traffic lights around here.

Yeah, I agree. I was actually referring to initial clip in when mounting the bike. I'm always clipped in first and then have to pedal slow while I wait for the rider in front of me to fumble around until clipped in.
Mal
Weston, FL
'92 Merlin Extralight, 14.6 lbs.
'14 Giant Propel Advanced 2

by 113245

My problem with speedplays was the lateral rocking -- caused me knee issues. I loved speedplays ease of entry though, like the other poster said, I was always the first one clipped in and it's nice to get going really quickly at red lights/ stop signs etc. Switched to shimano and I find the hooking really annoying.. but my knees dont hurt anymore so I guess that's a plus.

Anyone have any idea how to eliminate the lateral speedplay rocking??

latman

by latman

The stiffness of modern carbon outsoles has made cleat area hotspots a thing of the past , you could stand on a nail head these days and not be able to tell !
(as long as the ends of the cleat bolts do not protrude in the footbed!)

mjduct

by mjduct

They are pretty personal I got numb spots with speed play light actions, went to look and loved them. I would recommend buying some used if possible or if buying new buy the lowest end one you can, if you love them upgrade later into the lightest, baddest pair... If you don't your not out that much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dunbar42

by dunbar42

113245 wrote:Anyone have any idea how to eliminate the lateral speedplay rocking??

I use the Bike Fit Systems wedges and only get the lateral rocking when I ride them for a long time. The pedal seems to wear a divot in the wedge over time. My solution is to replace the wedge under the cleat every 6 months or so.