Madone 2008 H2 fit vs Canyon SLX ultimate 2016 MY

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

I currently have a Trek Madone 5.2 2008 that i recently upgraded. See link for photos of bike http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133777

I am going to purchase the soon to be released Canyon SLX Ultimate 2016 MY and need some help with the sizing. I will plan to transfer all components that I can and the rest I will purchase so I am only looking at the frameset.

I've had a professional bike fit that is mirrored across my 3 bikes so am happy with my fit. I'm just trying to make sure that I order the correct frame size.

Canyon have slightly tweaked the geometry in the new model year and I've extracted the key measurements below from their updated manual which is now available from Canyon https://www.canyon.com/en/
specials/ultimate-cf-slx/

Below is a summary of the key measurements from my current Madone and the frameset I think will get me closet to my current position.

Canyon SLX Ultimate SMALL

Stack - 546mm
Reach - 385
Spacer - 27.5mm
Headset height - 16mm
Head tube angle - 72.75

Madone 5.2 H2 2008

Stack - 554mm
Reach - 382mm
Spacer - 20mm
Headset height - 15mm
Stem - 90 mm -6 degrees
Handlebar - 3T Team Stealth Carbon
Stem stack - 40mm
Head tube angle - 73 degrees

With the help of an online calculator I've come up with the following

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439232240.581445.jpg

So in summary I think I can get away with the same stem on the Canyon and have a few more spacers which should give the stack I need so the small frameset is the best option for me.

Any thought or advice on this would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Can anyone provide any advice on these measurements?

jeffy

by jeffy

the canyon slx MY2016 has changed geometry

audiojan

by audiojan

With the lower stack of the Canyon, you would need more spacers, which would also reduce the effective reach somewhat (not too bad since it has an additional 3mm to start with compared to your current bike). You may need as much as 30mm of spacers… that may be a bit more than you would really want to maintain good stiffness...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

grover

by grover

You're spot on with your calculations.

The Trek has 8mm more stack height. 2mm less reach.

Put the same stem and amount of spacers from your Trek PLUS another 10mm spacer (use 8mm if you can find it).

Rough rule of thumb is that increasing stack by 10mm decreases reach by 3mm for a road bike (72/73 degree head angle).

So by adding that 10mm spacer you increase the stack and decrease the reach by +/- 1-2mm from spot on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Thanks grover it's reassuring to get a second opinion and know that my calculations were spot on. Canyon have just released the specs for the Ultimate CF SL 2016. Just waiting for the SLX to be available and then I'll order one.