Brief Experience With Aican Bungarus Cables

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drchull

by drchull

Had them both, ultimately took them both off for standard housings. The iLinks were definitely less likely to kink. The lack of a contiguous liner made the Bungarus more likely to kink, particularly in and out of car trunk. The iLinks when loaded resist flexion and kinking much better. Did get a lot of creaking after getting caught in the rain with the Bugarus, liberal application of WD40 fixed that. Had a lot of trouble with the Bangarus at the rear mech, would kink when wheel removed, ended up running standard housing at rear mech even when rest of bike had segmented cable. Again iLinks didn't seem to do this.

Ultimately my time for riding is already too limited so I opted to go back to the easier option that requires less service.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mleebee

by mleebee

I ran Aicans with Powercordz and ended up having to replace the powercordz with the stock Aican cables after one season. The Bungarus had a really hard time with the internal routing through my XXX Aero bars. Lots of binding. My rear mech is now ghost shifting and I might have to re-think the Aicans altogether. I'm thinking about running a different housing through the bars and then joining those with the Aicans after they exit.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

The weight savings are real, but it really doesn't do well on tight bends. Went with traditional housing for rear brake and derailleur final loops because there was just too much friction. Other than that been using the same housing for about 3 years or so without issues.

steventran

by steventran

I gave up on the Bungarus after less than 6 months. Probably my fault for linking it, but I ran them longer than regular cable outlets. I had shifter issues that wouldn't go away. Very embarrassing on a newly upgraded bike. Went back to regular housing and no issues since. Will try the non-segmented Aican housing, which is roughly the same weight as ilinks, but presumably without the hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

xena wrote:I have some of the old Tune outer housing. You don't need any liner and it's lighter than mini I links and Aican.
Very simple.

Got any going spare?

mleebee

by mleebee

Thanks Kuli, I'm gonna try replacing just the rear loops and see how that works. Much easier than starting over.