Brief Experience With Aican Bungarus Cables

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

As much as it's no fun to untape the bars, I'd recommend that. Almost everytime we've seen a problem with friction in them it has stemmed from the bend in the bar and is most likely the culprit.

I don't think we'll have the cables back in stock for at least a few weeks, but I know I have a few spares in my tool box, so drop me a note and I'll send you one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks so much! I just sent you a PM.

Ok, I will unwrap the bars then. So I run the cables out from the top of the shifters, and let them run to the back of the bars?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Correct, out of the shifter, then under the tops to the back.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Under or over the top? They come out of the levers at the top, so do I bring the cable over the top of the bars to the back of them? Sorry for the dumb question.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Never mind. I see it now. Thanks.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Ok, another question. When the tension is right for the shifter cables, should the housing feel loose like a noodle or should it be tight and stiff?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

It should be fairly rigid, but still flexible.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

So running the cables on the back of the bars seems to have helped, along with adding a barrel adjuster. Got the FD adjusted perfectly. Have to try to the RD now. Thanks again Madcow.

lechat

by lechat

I use Aican ultralight. Kevlar reinforced aluminum core housing. About 1/2 the weight of standard housing. looks and acts like steel core housing, and it's 1/2 the price of Bungarus.

eric

by eric

@lechat how is the performance? Is installation any different from steel wound housing?

I run the cable on the inside on my Red shifters- run on the outside it puts an uncomfortable bump in just the wrong place. And my bars have tight bends. So I want cables and housing that can perform well with tight bends.

lechat

by lechat

[quote="eric"]@lechat how is the performance? Is installation any different from steel wound housing?

I run the cable on the inside on my Red shifters- run on the outside it puts an uncomfortable bump in just the wrong place. And my bars have tight bends. So I want cables and housing that can perform well with tight bends.[/quote]

Shifting is the same as steel. As far as braking, I'm running KCNC brakes on that bike so they're going to be mushy regardless. Don't seem any more so than the steel spiral though.
Far as installation, they're just standard looking housings with aluminum innards. Only difference being the shift housing is the same outer diameter as the brake.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Had my Bungarus on for a good six months. Got cut off today, gave the brakes a good squeeze, front cable snapped. Thank God it happened around central London. Heading to the Alps Friday and would hate having a brake cable snapping while I go down Alpe d'Huez.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I run them with EE's... no problems
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

synchronicity

by synchronicity

DWatkinsBSB wrote:Had my Bungarus on for a good six months. Got cut off today, gave the brakes a good squeeze, front cable snapped. Thank God it happened around central London. Heading to the Alps Friday and would hate having a brake cable snapping while I go down Alpe d'Huez.

:shock: You wouldn't be here probably! :shock:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

I had brake and shift Bungarus on my bike, but with the 2015 Campag I found that for shifting, the factory cables provide the best feel. Still using the Bungarus for my brakes though, and I really like the feel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com