S Works Shoes Alternative

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

Have been looking into a new pair of shoes and am struggling to find something of a sensible price that fits my requirements. The S Works is pretty much exactly what I want, but can't justify the price. Are there any suitable, cheaper alternatives?

Basic outline of what I want would be a black race shoe in a narrow fit, preferably with BOAs (I dislike Velcro).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

i wouldnt have said the spesh are narrow fit.

Maybe look at planet x and see the fiziks on offer
Official cafe stop tester

Devon

by Devon

> Velcro

jekyll man

by jekyll man

you'll be struggling then, if you don't want to pay.

Lake's or 2012?? sworks maybe if you have boat feet and find some NOS somewhere.

Devon

by Devon

Surely there's a difference between 'paying' and shelling out nearly £300. Could get a bike for that!

jekyll man

by jekyll man

get a bike then, don't bother with the farkin' shoes....

or do your own homework :roll:

Devon

by Devon

Yawn. How mature.

If you can't offer advice/personal experience then please don't clutter.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

i offered suggestions,
you obviously cant be bothered.

Devon

by Devon

I apreciate your suggestions. I do however refuse to believe that you can't get a proper shoe for less than the S Works, considering Specialized inflation.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

There are plenty of 'proper' shoes out there at reasonable prices. But you seem to not want to consider them due to them having velcro or being the wrong fit.

If you like the S Works then I suggest you just 'shell out' for them and enjoy the fact you have some top notch shoes that will last you many years.

Oh, and if you can be bothered to do your homework you'll find those shoes for less than £240.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spiuk/zs15r-road-shoe-ec052285#reviews

black
ratchet + boa type fixing
multiple fittings
cheap.

:noidea:

racingcondor

by racingcondor

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/spiuk-zs15rc-road-shoe/

Double Boa on the RC15 and they fit the light / narrow requirement. I would have bought some but they size small and the 47 wasn't quite long enough.

I'd also suggest Giro Factor. Very good shoe but you'll have to accept a bit of velcro. I suppose the Empire fits your stated preferences though.

esfrost

by esfrost

Fiziks are great. They are kind of a narrow fit on the upper part, but they have a middle sized toe box. The also have a very high built in arch support, so i guess it is not for everybody.
I only tried the r3. The soles are great, full carbon, and very stiff. Great shoes, they are very very well made.

Sidis are the most snug fit pair of shoes i have, they have the smallest toe box, and they generally narrow fit.

Been using a Giro Gauge for my daily commute, and i really like them. The customizable arch support is a great feature. They also have a middle sized toe box. It hugs my foot pretty well. The ratchet system is the best i tried yet, really though, easy to use. The velcros are velcros, not much to say about them. The upper material seems to be very durable, it doesn't really show any sign of wear after six moths of everyday use.

I just ordered a pair of Giro Factor shoes in black, from bike-discount.de, as they are on sale now for 176 euros. They have the EC90 sole, which should be just as stiff as any other high end carbon soled shoes. Factors have two velcros, so you might not like it, but oh well, for this price, its okay for me. I highly recommend you looking into Giro's offerings, they make great shoes, that is for sure.
Last edited by esfrost on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cleaner

by Cleaner

I have two pair of Lake road shoes (CX330) with BOA system and have in general been quite happy with them. One pair has 4 seasons of riding an avg of 4 days/wk and is still going strong. The Kangaroo leather is very durable and the carbon sole has held up just fine. The replacement model CX331 can be had for well under $300 with some searching for a sale. I think I paid $240 for the CX331 pair I bought last year.

I do have a narrow heel which the BOA secures nicely on these. I do use the Esole insoles with these shoes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legs 11

by legs 11

In general, Sidi's are about the narrowest you'll get. Any of the Specialized shoes are quite wide.
Pedalling Law Student.