S Works Shoes Alternative

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

legs 11

by legs 11

I totally agree with you Devon, £300 for a pair of shoes is mental.
WTF is going on with the bike market?
I'm sure there are people on here who would say that 300 quid is just a normal cost etc. but it's all relative.
There was a time (not long ago) when you paid alot of money for a pair of shorts or a pair of shoes and you got a good service from them and they paid for themselves with their quality.
Them days appear to be gone, stuff is massively expensive and patchy in the quality department to say the least.
I just want to go back to the good old days?
(grumpy old man coming out there...lol)
Pedalling Law Student.

esfrost

by esfrost

I agree with almost everything you say, but with a little search, you'll find what what you're looking for, just like i did. Don't have to jump onto the first offer you see on a site... Make sure you do not spend more on a pair of shoes than you're willing to. Stick to the limit, and keep searching.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

I'll add my $.02 - I also thought the price tag was ridiculous at US MSRP $400, but I gave them a try thinking, maybe this will be "worth" it. It's certainly a good shoe, plenty stiff, super light, good fit, everything you've heard about them is probably true. Here's where I have an issue though, if you're going to pay that much for a pair of shoes they should last!

The low stack height requires the special cleat hardware that is just a shorter screw, but they only include one set of that hardware. Granted, I know I can go out and find replacements, but I really don't feel like I should have to at that price. Do Speci honestly think I'm going to replace my shoes before my cleats?

Also, my shoes are coming up on 11 months of use now and I'm already having boa issues! I had heard of boa issues on the older s-works models, but was assured the new shoe had the new S2 boas, and they had fixed those issues. Well, I've already had to replace one, and I'm feeling fairly certain there will be others. Maybe at least include a few extras in the box? I take very good care of my belongings, and I also realize things wear out, had they acknowledged the wear items and included replacements in the box at the price, I wouldn't be complaining.

Rick

by Rick

I am well-known for being a cheap-weenie. I ride a Taiwan frame, and wear gloves from walmart.
There are lots of good, cheap shoes out there that are adequate. I have used Shimano a lot. I have also used Vittoria, Look, and Sidi.

But after I tried the S-Works I just thought, Man, these are really worth the extra cost!
I picked up a second pair of the 2012 version when they went on closeout for $250, so you can save if you are willing to look and wait.
Last edited by Rick on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pantelones

by pantelones

You could always look for a used pair of shoes or buy last years model. I have a pair of 2008 s-works shoes I purchased (in late 2009) from a local neo-pro and have been using them ever since. They are a bit worn and I've replaced the BOA's on both. They are very very comfortable and functional.

Look at them as a 4 year investment. 75$ per year with ~33-40% returned value if you choose to sell at the end. This is how I rationalize some of my silly bike gear purchases.

jason9020

by jason9020

For half the price you could go for the Specialized Expert shoes. They still use a Boa System and are plenty stiff as far as I can tell. If a cheaper Sworks shoe is what you want then that is probably as close as you'll get.

vdrey

by vdrey

Second for the experts. I have them and love them, especially the price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Krackor

by Krackor

Bont a-two can be had on eBay in the $150ish price range. And if you can stuff your foot into one of the smaller sizes you'll only have one unsightly velcro strap. :P

Giro Empire can be had in black. They're not boa laces, but they're certainly not velcro. I've had mine for a season and love them to death. eBay for under $200, or if you have the right size foot you can find some on deep clearance this time of year.

sequerra

by sequerra

look into Gaerne

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Lake, baby!!
http://www.stage-race.com/lake-collection/
CX331 or CX402 for heat-moldability and narrow-fit with serious stiffness.
CX237 is probably most comparable to the S-Works

Best,
Mike

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I went from SWorks to Bontrager RXL's. They are light, stiff, comfortable, well ventilated and reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

davidalone

by davidalone

The scott road team boa shoe is cheap. one velcro strap and one boa system, but it works.

Personally, when I was looking at top of the line shoes last year, I was also looking at the s works. in the end I went with sidi wires, because they are slightly cheaper, but they sure as hell last. and all hardware on that shoe is replaceable. fireds who use the S works say it's a good shoe... that lasts 2, at most 3 seasons tops.

Grill

by Grill

Just from a matter of perspective...

I used to think that $300+ on a pair of road shoes was ridiculous, but when you think of how much use you get out of them it's peanuts. My Bontragers have done over 15,000 miles and are still going strong. I can't think of any other footwear that has even close to that longevity. When I did seasons, my snowboard boots were $300+ a pair and lasted 60 days and ski boots were $500+ a pair and would die at 80-100 days riding. Even if you equate road shoe longevity to your bike tires you'll see that the skimping on shoes is really a false economy.

tinozee

by tinozee

The high end Sidis like Ergo 3 can be found new for around $200-250. They are super narrow and fit my narrow size 13 feet amazingly well. I also use s-works narrow, but prefer the sidis.

LachlanD

by LachlanD

You could try the Bont Riot or A-Two?

A couple of guys I race with have used these after S-Works shoes and have had great tings to say in terms of performance and value for money?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com