NeilPryde Bura SL and Campy???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

I'm considering reverting my Parlee Z5 to mechanical (the EPS simple doesn't look good on a non Di2 frame set…) and one of the options would be to add a NeilPryde Bura SL electronic to the stable and move my Campy EPS to that.

Does Campy EPS fit on the Bura SL? The battery is quite large on the EPS (and I really don't want to buy the new internal v2 battery and the new charger… I'd like to use my existing Record EPS set up). Where does the battery mount on the Bura SL? Under the down tube? On the non-drive side chain stay (and if yes, would it have enough clearance between the wheel and the EPS battery… my wifes Parlee Z5SLi did not have enough clearance)? What the about the holes in the frame for the electronic cables, large enough to pass the EPS connectors through (they are larger than the Di2 ones…)?
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

audiojan

by audiojan

155 views, but no answer. I know I didn't stomp the WW community! :-)
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

farm_lim

by farm_lim

audiojan, for the 2013 bura electronic model, its only below the downtube bottlecage for external (has 1 extra fitting to bolt on, 1 exit hole for the battery wire. no attachment under downtube, chainstays).
as for the holes, no experience on eps connectors. fit is enough for the the shimano wires and grommets to go in snugly. will try to measure.
you cant buy fitness, but you can buy advantage.

audiojan

by audiojan

Many thanks farm_lim. A single hole for the wires sounds like it may or may not work with external EPS battery… The EPS has 3 wires that needs to enter the frame (R/D, F/D, and DTI connection by the handlebars).

If you could measure the diameter of the holes, that would be awesome. I believe that Di2 requires 6mm holes and EPS 8mm holes (although I can be off on those…. working from memory, which is not always the most accurate…)

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Considering you have EPS, asking questions if it will fit/look right on a NeilPryde Bura SL, and the maturity of this Forum. It is understandable that there is not many people here that have the experience you are looking for.

audiojan

by audiojan

It really wasn't if it would look right... It's all about function, would the v1 battery take up so much space that I can't use the second bottle cage and would the EPS connectors fit through the holes in the frame? The second I got answered, yes they will fit. The first is very likely not a problem since there's enough space. I'm seriously considering the Bura SL for this season.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I purchased a 2013 BuraSL but will only receive it next week. I was considering EPS myself (v2), but decided to go Di2 instead - the only solution for the charging port would be to remove the seatpost. Please note that NP mentions in their website that the frame was designed for Di2 only (6870 and 9070) and any modification to install EPS or 7970 Di2 would void the warranty.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I think the main issue is frame size so visually that V1 EPS battery is always going look huge. I know what you are talking about since my wife is a shorty as well.. BuraSL is a great looking bike, my local shop has a very small one, but it's fitted with Ultegra 11s..The V1 EPS battery is going to look huge no matter what. My wife bike that I am starting to build now is a 47cm Trek Project One Six series.. going with seat post battery and 9070 Di2.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

farm_lim

by farm_lim

audiojan wrote:Many thanks farm_lim. A single hole for the wires sounds like it may or may not work with external EPS battery… The EPS has 3 wires that needs to enter the frame (R/D, F/D, and DTI connection by the handlebars).

If you could measure the diameter of the holes, that would be awesome. I believe that Di2 requires 6mm holes and EPS 8mm holes (although I can be off on those…. working from memory, which is not always the most accurate…)

no worries. what i meant was: along with 1 bolt attachment on the down tube is also 1 exit hole. was basically responding to the battery location.
of course there are also holes on near the headtube, FD and RD.

holes are not more than 7mm.
you cant buy fitness, but you can buy advantage.

ginsued

by ginsued

On my 2014 Bura SL, the battery mount is on the under side of the downtube in front of the bottom bracket. The two bolts holes are right in middle of the tube.

audiojan

by audiojan

Short update. Just got the bike finished yesterday and took it for a 15min spin. It's truly amazing! Build is Record EPS, Gravitas brakes, 3T stem and handlebars (Ergosum/ARX Team), Quarq Elsa crank with Q-rings, a left over Orbea seat post (heavy, but quite strong, which is needed since I can only fit 10cm in the frame due to the v2 battery).

Going for a longer ride today. Pictures to follow.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Nice! Are you using the v2 battery? If so, where did you install the charging port?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

audiojan

by audiojan

AndreLM wrote:Nice! Are you using the v2 battery? If so, where did you install the charging port?

Yes, the v2 battery. The charge port fits nicely in the hole where the cables would normally enter the frame if you would mount the battery externally. It gets to be a little tight to fit the charger connector as the charge port is pointing towards the crankset. I'll get some dirty finger charging, but heck, with the battery life being what it is, it's not too bad.

Did my first longer ride on it yesterday and the bike is truly stunning. Super stiff (as in ZERO flex), it just seems to float forward with efficiency. You can tell that the head tube and fork are really stiff as well, it tracks and descend really well. The stiffness comes at a price though, although not uncomfortable, it's not as compliant as my Parlee Z5. I'd say if I was going to ride a century, I'd pick the Parlee, but for everything else I'd ride the NP Bura SL any day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com