Best Mechanical Groupset regardless of price

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cnbky

by cnbky

all wrong...mavic zap is the snappiest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Zapp isn't mechanical is it!!!

Zoro

by Zoro

sugarkane wrote:Zapp isn't mechanical is it!!!
Currently (son) using Mavic Mektronic, Mavic Ti pedals - lowest friction, and shoes.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

This thread is obviously not going to go anywhere. They're all great groupsets. The OP will just have to make a decision based on personal preference (as in try them out) or take the plunge based on aesthetics.

Shimano:
http://twohubs.blogspot.com/2013/08/wil ... a.html?m=1

SRAM
http://twohubs.blogspot.com/2012/09/wil ... d.html?m=1

Campy
http://twohubs.blogspot.com/2013/09/wil ... 7.html?m=1

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Just cause it's Friday afternoon....

I've been a campag die hard for years with my fav's being 09/10 Centaur and any Record (never had Super Record). I tried SRAM and I believe it's pretty much total junk. I now have 9000 on my new bike and have to say I'm extremely impressed with the performance. I can't say anything for durability etc yet, but it's really smooth and positive.

nickf

by nickf

All I have ever used has been sram. Had a rival shifter snap but was replaced no questions asked. Replacement has been solid. On the caad9 I'm running red. Absolutely love the snappy direct shifting. When paired with a og or xg cassette it's even better. My brother is a campy fan. The stuff works and is repairable. But I like double tap.

RookieB

by RookieB

This should answer alot of your questions as to why 9000 is superior !

http://fitwerx.com/shimano-dura-ace-900 ... l-overview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

We just ingnoring the cable and cassette problems hey RookieB?
Right now campag is the best developed 11sp system.. It's had problem but they are all long gone right now. Da 9000 works really well but there are some long term issues that need to be sorted before it's truly king! As has been stated in this thread they all work really well it's a mater of what you like the look and feel of :thumbup:

lippythelion

by lippythelion

The big 3 are all guilty of releasing new groupsets to the public which aren't quite ready.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Actually this thread, which should be pointless and inane, brings to light a serious problem. At this point Shimano should be the hands down winner with the 9000 but the cable (and cassette :shock: ) problems make choosing a groupset a problem. I have either SRAM or Shimano on the 5 road bikes in my house and while I'd like to get 9000 on my next bike, I couldn't bring myself to buy it. Cable issue are the worst. I don't address Campy because I want all my gear to be compatible (at least as far as wheels go). If you are shopping for a groupset you're a bit stuck. For the Shimano/SRAM crowd it's almost better to be a late adopter now or just settle for Sram (nothing wrong with that - I have it on three of the five bikes). I just feel defect free Shimano 9000 would be the best mechanical.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

RookieB

by RookieB

Correct me if im wrong but these issues were only with a few first batches & are no longer an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Mr Gib. Campag 11 wheels are compatible with Shimano 11, so feel free to consider Campagnolo too going forward
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Right, and that will work when everything I have is 11 speed. But for now, if I start buying Campy, I can't pop a Shimano 10 speed cassette on their 11 speed wheels to use with older groupsets. Maybe its time for some Campy anyway. And I still hear stories about cables breaking on latest 9000.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Stick a spacer on the 11sp free hub with your 10sp cassette if you must.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Maybe its time for some Campy anyway

At long last.... :lol:

To me they're the sexiest and, and this may surprise some of you, also the cheapest (cheapest in the strictest economical sense) in the long run.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com