Best Mechanical Groupset regardless of price

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

The one problem with 7800 is shift cable life. The right (rear) shifter cable breaks frequently, inside the lever where it makes a bend. I get about 3000 miles per cable. However it is easy to inspect for fraying by shining a light in the shift cable insertion hole and very easy to change cables.

I thought that my tuned 7800 brakes and 7800 levers were the best braking system ever until I got 2012 Red and EE brakes with the early lighter return spring. More braking power, better modulation and less lever effort.

I'd like to use the EEs on the next bike I build which would be one drawback to using Shimano 9000- the brake levers pull more cable than Sram or Campy, reducing the mechanical advantage and thus increasing the force needed.

richiegwy

by richiegwy

I'm currently riding SRAM Red "black eddition" with a basic sram crank (not red). I am getting a new bike for racing and trying to decide on groupset. SRAM RED/Force 22, Dura ace 9000 or Ultegra 6870 DI2

I love the rear shifting of sram red (super fast and positive feedback) but I absolutely hate the front shifting. I recently tried dura ace 9000 and it blew me away with how buttery smooth and effortless the shifting was for a mechanical groupset especially the front. It almost felt too light front and back and feedback was minimal, suppose thats just being used to Red. I have yet to try Di2.

I dont think I will get to try the new red or force and no bike stores have them.

For those that have ridden new red/force and dura ace 9000 how would you describe the front shifting to shimano if shimano is super light and smooth? Is it the same, heavier or ....?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johnnyscans

by johnnyscans

The Yaw FD on the new SRAM groups is pretty awesome. Smooth and confidence inspiring.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Personal preference wins. All are excellent.

I detest double tap. Ergo cannot consider SRAM. Mainly a Campagnolo man ( my Record 10v is still going strong) and have a bike with Ultegra that is also nice and shifts well (not as nice as Record but not comparable).

At the very least try hood shapes and make decisions based on that.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typos...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

VNTech

by VNTech

9000 front shifting cannot be touched, it's in its own league.

But, I hate that the brake levers move. For that reason alone, I prefer Di2.

SRAM has fantastic warranty service, which is good because you're more likely to need it. The shifters in particular seem to just go without warning. Front shifting is better than before, but not quite as good as DA. Rear is all equal, depends whether you like a heavy click (SRAM, Campag) or a light one (DA).

FYI, the 9001 series shifters do not fix the cable breaking problem. It adds a cover on the inside of the shifter, completely unrelated. Shimano is still looking into the cable issue — apparently, it didn't come up in pre-production testing, but now that people have had those groups for a year or so we're hearing more stories. I'll have more on the issue later on, still digging.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

davidalone

by davidalone

Sram warranty is good... In the USA. Outside of that not so good. He's right though that sram shifters will die without warning. I like sram shifting but have had shifters fail on me pre - race 3 times now. It's a known issue. Sram engineers for cheap and light. But it won't last. Not worth it in my book though. Going back to shimano.

tkailoon

by tkailoon

Both SR11 and DA 9000 are superb groupsets. It depends whether you prefer a heavier and firm shifting or a snappy one which shimano offers. I am using a 6800 ultegra and it's super value for money.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

If money wasn't an issue I'd choose Campy. Unfortunately money is something I have to consider, but I still choose Campy.

Were not exactly talking about choosing between a Lamborghini or a Citroën here, are we.

Madone69

by Madone69

Having had Shimano and then changing to Campagnolo. Campagnolo by all means. 11 speed is different to 10speed altogether.It looks better, it performs better and it last much longer. It is however a bit more pricier. :thumbup:

Record or Super Record will be my advice :thumbup:

Shimano is ok i guess. the new Di2 11speed is catching up slowly to SR EPS. :roll: the mechanical is probably not far off from a performace point :!:

Sram should stick to MTB which they good at. MTB hides the noise :sorry:

this is my opinion :thumbup:

tkailoon

by tkailoon

Causidicus wrote:
tkailoon wrote:...a heavier and firm shifting or a snappy one which shimano offers.

I think you might be the only person in the world that could consider Campagnolo 11s shifting to be anything but 'snappy'.

In this case we have different definition of how snappy should be. After trying both I still think Shimano shifts faster.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Looks like it's almost time to break out the popcorn on this thread.

:popcorn:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

nealrab

by nealrab

I think we've heard it all...they all work.

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

When folks suggest Campy they always seem to recommend Record or Super Record. I actually find that Chorus 11, with metal front and rear derailleur components instead of carbon, shifts BETTER than Record and Super Record. All three are the same, sans carbon parts and some lighter fittings here and there.

Just some food for thought.
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am eating popcorn right now.