Enve Compact Flex

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

Just got some Enve compacts and very nice bars all around. Changed only my bars (was running 3T Rotundo pros) and have noticed that these flex quite a bit in the drops. Not that I'm a powerhouse nor that they were marketed as uber stiff, but has anyone else noticed this about them? Might have to put them up for sale and go back to AL....
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

Yes they are quite Flexy - Try 3T Rotundo Team or Ltd - Nice and stiff and light. All 3T carbon bars seem to be.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I've found the Rotundo Team to be pretty flexy as well. I couldn't deal with it. I had to use the Rotundo Pro. I've since moved all my road and cx bikes to Pro Vibe round bars. Some carbon, some alu. The Pro brand carbon bars are the only ones I've used that are as stiff (or stiffer) as others aluminum offerings.

The Thomson KFC carbon bars are also very stiff and come in under weight, if you're looking for a compact bend in a stiffer package.

kode54

by kode54

KWalker wrote:Just got some Enve compacts and very nice bars all around. Changed only my bars (was running 3T Rotundo pros) and have noticed that these flex quite a bit in the drops. Not that I'm a powerhouse nor that they were marketed as uber stiff, but has anyone else noticed this about them? Might have to put them up for sale and go back to AL....

i suppose the wider bars are more flexy...i use the 40cm bars and find them to suit me well...allowing for some vibration reduction in rough roads.
Last edited by kode54 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

The new Enve aero road bars will be stiffer according to their presentation at Eurobike..... on the compact bars I find the 42 cm pretty good in stiffness. What stem are you using?

KWalker

by KWalker

Zipp Service Course SL, 40cm Enve bars. Its the softest road bar I've ever had and while it probably doesn't impact performance, its not exactly confidence inspiring.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

For 40 cm bars I find the ENVE above average in stiffness......even on the drops. I will ask ENVE their opinion on this as stiffness is one of their trademarks in most of their products

kode54

by kode54

KWalker wrote:Zipp Service Course SL, 40cm Enve bars. Its the softest road bar I've ever had and while it probably doesn't impact performance, its not exactly confidence inspiring.

i've had the Zipp Service Course SL stem and bars before switching to the Enve cockpit. my feeling was just the opposite. i feel more confident going over rough roads and patches over the Zipp where i used to slow down going through them. the Enve bar and stem were both in a crash and the only part that suffered damage was my Parlee. Enve 3.4 wheels and cockpit including the Parlee made fork had no damage.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Svetty

by Svetty

kode54 wrote:
KWalker wrote:Zipp Service Course SL, 40cm Enve bars. Its the softest road bar I've ever had and while it probably doesn't impact performance, its not exactly confidence inspiring.

i've had the Zipp Service Course SL stem and bars before switching to the Enve cockpit. my feeling was just the opposite. i feel more confident going over rough roads and patches over the Zipp where i used to slow down going through them. the Enve bar and stem were both in a crash and the only part that suffered any apparent damage so far was my Parlee. Enve 3.4 wheels and cockpit including the Parlee made fork had no damage.

FIFY ;)

barsook77

by barsook77

Want stiff bars without noticeable flex?

Shimano Pro Stealth Evo

Last edited by barsook77 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

Svetty wrote:
kode54 wrote:

i've had the Zipp Service Course SL stem and bars before switching to the Enve cockpit. my feeling was just the opposite. i feel more confident going over rough roads and patches over the Zipp where i used to slow down going through them. the Enve bar and stem were both in a crash and the only part that suffered any apparent damage so far was my Parlee. Enve 3.4 wheels and cockpit including the Parlee made fork had no damage.

FIFY ;)

thx. :D
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

plpete

by plpete

barsook77 wrote:Want stiff bars without any noticeable flex?

Shimano Pro Stealth Evo

Are you referring to the stem/bar combo? I have one (42/110 stem) and it's certainly the stiffest bar I have experienced. I like the design and cable routing as well. Too bad I don't like the ergo style bend.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Next week we should have our latest fixture finished which will measure deflection in bars and stems and we'll be testing a ton of different ones so we'll be able to put actual numbers to them.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

10 $ Canadian says that the enve bar is actually pretty stiff. Its a known fact that perception of stiffness is a pretty poor measure of actual stiffness for components.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwilliams

by gwilliams

I run the enve bar in 42cm. I personally find it a great h.bar-stiff across its top, a bit of flex in drops which helps bump absorption.