HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 pm
Posts: 3935
Location: Bay Area
Just got some Enve compacts and very nice bars all around. Changed only my bars (was running 3T Rotundo pros) and have noticed that these flex quite a bit in the drops. Not that I'm a powerhouse nor that they were marketed as uber stiff, but has anyone else noticed this about them? Might have to put them up for sale and go back to AL....

_________________
Don't take me too seriously.
Bike
Strava


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Enve Compact Flex
Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:20 am 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:34 pm
Posts: 509
Yes they are quite Flexy - Try 3T Rotundo Team or Ltd - Nice and stiff and light. All 3T carbon bars seem to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:01 pm
Posts: 1561
I've found the Rotundo Team to be pretty flexy as well. I couldn't deal with it. I had to use the Rotundo Pro. I've since moved all my road and cx bikes to Pro Vibe round bars. Some carbon, some alu. The Pro brand carbon bars are the only ones I've used that are as stiff (or stiffer) as others aluminum offerings.

The Thomson KFC carbon bars are also very stiff and come in under weight, if you're looking for a compact bend in a stiffer package.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm
Posts: 351
KWalker wrote:
Just got some Enve compacts and very nice bars all around. Changed only my bars (was running 3T Rotundo pros) and have noticed that these flex quite a bit in the drops. Not that I'm a powerhouse nor that they were marketed as uber stiff, but has anyone else noticed this about them? Might have to put them up for sale and go back to AL....


i suppose the wider bars are more flexy...i use the 40cm bars and find them to suit me well...allowing for some vibration reduction in rough roads.

_________________
- Parlee Z5 SLi + DA9070 + Enve 3.4 Tune/Dash hubs
- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs


Last edited by kode54 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:34 am 
Offline
Shop Owner

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:07 am
Posts: 993
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico
The new Enve aero road bars will be stiffer according to their presentation at Eurobike..... on the compact bars I find the 42 cm pretty good in stiffness. What stem are you using?

_________________
www.royalbicycles.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 pm
Posts: 3935
Location: Bay Area
Zipp Service Course SL, 40cm Enve bars. Its the softest road bar I've ever had and while it probably doesn't impact performance, its not exactly confidence inspiring.

_________________
Don't take me too seriously.
Bike
Strava


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:08 am 
Offline
Shop Owner

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:07 am
Posts: 993
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico
For 40 cm bars I find the ENVE above average in stiffness......even on the drops. I will ask ENVE their opinion on this as stiffness is one of their trademarks in most of their products

_________________
www.royalbicycles.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm
Posts: 351
KWalker wrote:
Zipp Service Course SL, 40cm Enve bars. Its the softest road bar I've ever had and while it probably doesn't impact performance, its not exactly confidence inspiring.


i've had the Zipp Service Course SL stem and bars before switching to the Enve cockpit. my feeling was just the opposite. i feel more confident going over rough roads and patches over the Zipp where i used to slow down going through them. the Enve bar and stem were both in a crash and the only part that suffered damage was my Parlee. Enve 3.4 wheels and cockpit including the Parlee made fork had no damage.

_________________
- Parlee Z5 SLi + DA9070 + Enve 3.4 Tune/Dash hubs
- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 pm
Posts: 191
kode54 wrote:
KWalker wrote:
Zipp Service Course SL, 40cm Enve bars. Its the softest road bar I've ever had and while it probably doesn't impact performance, its not exactly confidence inspiring.


i've had the Zipp Service Course SL stem and bars before switching to the Enve cockpit. my feeling was just the opposite. i feel more confident going over rough roads and patches over the Zipp where i used to slow down going through them. the Enve bar and stem were both in a crash and the only part that suffered any apparent damage so far was my Parlee. Enve 3.4 wheels and cockpit including the Parlee made fork had no damage.


FIFY ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:17 pm
Posts: 102
Want stiff bars without noticeable flex?

Shimano Pro Stealth Evo

Image


Last edited by barsook77 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm
Posts: 351
Svetty wrote:
kode54 wrote:
KWalker wrote:
Zipp Service Course SL, 40cm Enve bars. Its the softest road bar I've ever had and while it probably doesn't impact performance, its not exactly confidence inspiring.


i've had the Zipp Service Course SL stem and bars before switching to the Enve cockpit. my feeling was just the opposite. i feel more confident going over rough roads and patches over the Zipp where i used to slow down going through them. the Enve bar and stem were both in a crash and the only part that suffered any apparent damage so far was my Parlee. Enve 3.4 wheels and cockpit including the Parlee made fork had no damage.


FIFY ;)


thx. :D

_________________
- Parlee Z5 SLi + DA9070 + Enve 3.4 Tune/Dash hubs
- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 pm
Posts: 373
Location: DC
barsook77 wrote:
Want stiff bars without any noticeable flex?

Shimano Pro Stealth Evo


Are you referring to the stem/bar combo? I have one (42/110 stem) and it's certainly the stiffest bar I have experienced. I like the design and cable routing as well. Too bad I don't like the ergo style bend.

_________________
My Bikes:
BMC SLR01 TeamMachine
Cannondale CAAD8


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 pm 
Offline
Shop Owner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:22 pm
Posts: 3561
Location: Tucson, Az.
Next week we should have our latest fixture finished which will measure deflection in bars and stems and we'll be testing a ton of different ones so we'll be able to put actual numbers to them.

_________________
Fair Wheel Bikes

Fair Wheel Blog

Friend me on Facebook for behind the scenes updates


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm
Posts: 664
Location: Canada
10 $ Canadian says that the enve bar is actually pretty stiff. Its a known fact that perception of stiffness is a pretty poor measure of actual stiffness for components.

_________________
My RCA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:00 am 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enve Compact Flex
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Posts: 68
I run the enve bar in 42cm. I personally find it a great h.bar-stiff across its top, a bit of flex in drops which helps bump absorption.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drider85, Yahoo [Bot] and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. What Mini Pumps are There with Flex Hose Connectors?

in Road

Valbrona

6

719

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:47 pm

zwingz View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Hub recommendations for Enve 6.7 Tub build?

in Road

sd5500

11

756

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:07 am

bombertodd View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Made-in-china ENVE?

in Road

dillonko

10

1769

Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:15 pm

wheelsONfire View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Enve Classic 65 brake pads

in Road

eckhous

6

419

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:15 am

jackie View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Enve 45's Veloplugs dont fit?

in Road

Bianchi10

1

337

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:11 am

tsutaoka View the latest post


It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB