Powertap G3 bearings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pavel

by pavel

My G3 bearings lasted about 5 months before needing to be replaced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fishy23

by Fishy23

I have the GS hub and it is making an awful noise when pedaling above 150 watts or so and it is getting worse. Is having the creak noise during torque indicative of bearings being out or needing to replace freehub like others have mentioned? If need to replace freehub, which one are you referring to? Just the replacement one offered by PT or an aftermarket one that is better?

sawyer

by sawyer

Fishy23 wrote:I have the GS hub and it is making an awful noise when pedaling above 150 watts or so and it is getting worse. Is having the creak noise during torque indicative of bearings being out or needing to replace freehub like others have mentioned? If need to replace freehub, which one are you referring to? Just the replacement one offered by PT or an aftermarket one that is better?

Could well be the freehub body.

Bearings IME are fine. Mine have been going strong 4-5 years - dry riding mind you. Perhaps used for 20,000km in that time.

Freehub bodies OTOH are made of soft cheese.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

jimborello

by jimborello

Ok just to add up to this conversation. After close to 8k I had to replace the bearings of both wheels (it was a powertap wheelset). 6901 for the front hub, 3x 6802 and 1x 6902 for the rear hub, I live in Mexico so it was impossible to send it back to USA , but it actually took us 10 minutes to replace all of them and now the wheels are as good as new.

Fishy23

by Fishy23

In case someone find this message with the same issue...Took the freehub off, greased the pawls and the top cap and that was all it took.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

jimborello wrote:Ok just to add up to this conversation. After close to 8k I had to replace the bearings of both wheels (it was a powertap wheelset). 6901 for the front hub, 3x 6802 and 1x 6902 for the rear hub, I live in Mexico so it was impossible to send it back to USA , but it actually took us 10 minutes to replace all of them and now the wheels are as good as new.

I've never taken a G3 apart. I'm curious how the axle and bearings are arranged? The previous generation had an axle with internal ridges that butted up tight against the inner race of the hub bearings. The end caps were also tight against the bearings, and the freehub had an internal spacer. When you clamped it with a QR it made a solid unit of support on the innter races with no play. But it was also sensitive to having the tolerances just right, else the bearings would wear out quickly.

The G3s usually have some play, so they must be different. Would you shed some light on how they are put together?
formerly rruff...

jimborello

by jimborello

Wel by "us" I meant my mechanic, I was drinking beer ja. My job was to get the SKF bearings from a local supplier and give them to him. It was very simple though

by7

by by7

I have already replaced the freewheel on my PT G3 at least 2-3 times...

Now it is time to replace the bearings. I saw the video on youtube which is actually done on an old SL model , but mine does not give up so easily... I began to hammer from the DS to push out the bearings on the NDS, but it seems stuck...
So before making any damage, I wonder if anyone ever tried on a G3 and how you did it