Recommendations for a Sportive/Gran Fondo type bike.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Miller76

by Miller76

Thanks fa63, that is a sweet looking frame.

The weather kept me from riding this past weekend but I did spend a lot of time researching and thinking about this concept.

All of my bikes, wheels components etc have always been second hand - I have never bought a brand new frame or bike before. I've talked about it before, but never ever followed through. Now that we've bought a home and settled my wife is very supportive of me getting a new bike. in fact she is pushing me to do it. Her feeling is that I made sacrifices for the family (90 minute commute each way and lots of business travelling) and I should treat myself to a new bike.

I determined the reason I wasn't in love with the Van Dessel is that it is clearly too small. I always thought it was 56cm C-C but it's 56cm C-T. I love all of the components though.

My gravel road bike is a Cannondale CX9, 56cm C-C and 56cm TT. I really enjoy riding his bike and appreciate the ability to take it off road. I have fenders for wet weather. My riding buddy suggested an upgraded fork (ENVE) and moving the SRAM Red from the Van Dessel to the Cannondale. The practical side of me agrees but there really isn't anything exciting about this.

I tried to get a picture of me on the Cannondale, again I do feel comfortable on this bike and set up...

ImageImage

I spoke to Jenn at Speedvagen and she didn't seem to think that the frame/forks and components of the Speedvagen LIOTR would be fine for someone of my size/weight.

I have also looked at the Breadwinner Lolo, the steel offerings from Christopher at Dornbox and considered a Colnago Master.

I'm in love with the idea of a steel frame over titanium over carbon and I have resigned myself to the fact I may have to give up my fantastic Hollowgram cranks if I go for the Speedvagen.

I'm not even sure what I am asking or seeking, I think I am just justifying the Soeedvagen to myself...

Here is the Speedvagen again it'd be this finish or the 2014 Surprise Me Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Miller76 wrote:I spoke to Jenn at Speedvagen and she didn't seem to think that the frame/forks and components of the Speedvagen LIOTR would be fine for someone of my size/weight.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but does this mean the folks at Speedvagen think their frame wouldn't be good for you? If so, I wonder why; you don't look like a particularly large person.

I should also say something about integrated seatposts. My last custom frame had one, and I found it to be a nuisance. I play with my saddle height a bit, and the ISP was all scratched up from that and didn't look good after a couple times. I ended up cutting the ISP and going to a regular seatpost. I also think there are advantages, in terms of comfort mainly, to using a standard seatpost as it is likely that this particular ISP on the Speedvagen is for aesthetics and not for added comfort or anything like that.

Anyways, good luck with your search; the research can be frustrating but it is also part of the fun.

Miller76

by Miller76

Apologies - typing in a rush - Jenn doesn't seem to have any concerns over my weight and the bike/build...

Miller76

by Miller76

The spec on the Speedvagen would be as follows:

SRAM Red 22
ENVE stem, bars, seat post cap
ENVE 3.4 SES wheels
ENVE 2.0 fork

jvanv8

by jvanv8

This question not only differs from person to person but also the type and distance the Gran Fondo is.
- If you are really going to extend yourself in distance & length of time on the bike than I can only recommend a mid to higher end carbon frame. I've ridden steel, alu, ti, and carbon and carbon without a doubt would by a GF choice every time.
- If you are going to ride some epic mountains, ensure that you are a member of WW and the rest should turn out fine.
- Above all, get the bike that fits well that you can ride all day. If the Grand Fondo is long enough, there will come a time when you just can't continue or feel you don't want to continue. Make it as comfortable as possible so that exhausted version of yourself somehow finds the physical strength to continue on instead of sacking it into the broom wagon. You want it to be a decisive moment of heart and not a moment of geometry or fit.

Oh, and if you heart falls apart but your bike is still setup ok, you can still turn out a pretty good result :wink:
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

davidalone

by davidalone

I'd agree somewhat with legs 11. a well fitted bike and some decent fitness should get you through 99% of any ride this earth can throw at you. There are fancy stuff like elastomers, the domanes suspension thing, countervail vibration.... but the main contributor to comfort in the first place is 1) tyres and 2) geometry. The only real reason to go with the 'gran fondo' bike is that the geometry changes allow for more trail and generally 'slower' handling. and they genrally allow for higher bar heights without resorting to an ugly amount of spacers.

My main bike is a 'gran fondo' bike- a Bianchi infinito. It's a fantastic machine- I've set it up to race so it's stem is slammed and it has a way aggressive drop - 11cm- for me. but most importantly- it FITS me. I can without a doubt say that it holds it's own with the 'race' bikes: the supersixes, the dogmas, the venges and SL4s, scott foils, the TCRs and what have yous. it does handle slightly slower than my spare bike- a cannondale caad in that it's much more mild mannered and less 'twitchy'- it doesn't want to turn as much ( hence It's probably not the best criterium machine out there) but it is really easy to ride on the longer days when the concentration starts to wane abit.

I would note that the vast majority of weekend warriors would actually be well served with this kind of gran fondo bike. you see lots of people out there without the flexibility or fitness to ride pro-level geometry found on the aforementioned bikes above ( I'm sure everyone has seen the dogma's , C59s with a whole tower of spacers- whats the point? why not buy something more fitted and that LOOKS better than with a stack of 5cm of spacers?)

Ultimately I would say: see a good fitter. if the gran fondo geomoetry fits you, go for it. but you don't really need it.

on a side note, do check out the bianchi infinito CV if you decide to buy one. I have the older version and I highly recommend it.

Miller76

by Miller76

Wow jvanv8, that Bianchi is gorgeous, could we get a picture of yours?

I typically ride centuries, I live in a area of rolling hills punctuated with plenty of short sharp hills. I have always enjoyed climbing and I feel I have a decent level of fitness. I have always been more of an endurance athlete and enjoy weekend club runs.

I'm hoping to have another fitting session shortly, and on this next occasion I am going to a fitter who knows I have no intention of buying a bike from him. We had a very good discussion, spoke about my plans and he is happy to work with me to determine a good fit, rather than just setting me up on whatever bike is between my legs. His initial suggestion fwiw was to look at the Scott CR1

DMF

by DMF

A bike fitter that recommends frames in no way based on geometry, as he hasn't measured you yet and couldn't possibly know how for instance the CR1, or any other frame for that matter, would fit you.

In my mind, alarm bells are ringing loudly...

Miller76

by Miller76

@DMF, his suggestion of the CR1 was a passing comment about types of "endurance or Gran Fondo" bikes he liked. I mentioned it because it had come up earlier in the discussion.

Thanks all

Miller76

by Miller76

Due to family projects and commitments I was only able to get out for a 20 mile blast this morning. Image

The more I ride this the more I really like the position. My riding partner suggested a CAAD10 Black Inc that he saw on sale. Move all of my old components over and sell the ultegra..

Not as exciting as a new steel build but if the CAAD10 geometry is not too different to this then it might make the most sense..
Not

skiezo

by skiezo

There is also Rich Adams in north east PA. He does steel in both stock sizes as well as a custom fitting. His work in also top notch.http://bicycleframes.com/frames/road/.
Brian

Miller76

by Miller76

I've been offered a ridiculous deal on a closeout CAAD10 Black Inc. (Ultegra DI2) This would leave me with a bundle of cash to possibly upgrade components to beyond my wildest dreams. I loved my Six13 and really enjoy riding my CAAD CX

Initially I am thinking that I could put on my Enve bars and stem, the EE brakes and the Hollowgram cranks with new Praxis rings. I'd also add an Enve setback seatpost and go for the internal battery upgrade.

Would there be any point in putting on the ENVE fork I currently have? Could I run a 9070 rear mech on the ten speed hub/cassette or would I need to upgrade to 11 speed cassette and 11 speed chain?

rustychain

by rustychain

My sportive/ grand tour bike is my regular road machine with bigger tires. If I'm planning on some gravel roads, I use my "Paris Roubaix" wheels. I also add more food in my pocket, and check my attitude, changing from "win" to "have fun". Works for me! :beerchug:
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Miller76

by Miller76

Thanks to all for taking the time to read and comment. I guess it was the weather and cabin fever that got me "over thinking" my new ride.

I know the Van Dessel is to small for me, and I know I want a new bike. I probably got paralysis by analysis after looking at the new technology available.

In the end the idea of getting a bike I have always liked and yearned for at a decent price was stronger than the idea of getting something super exotic. The Speedvagen is still on my list, just not at the moment.

It was dry on Saturday morning over in Jersey so I ventured out for a text ride on a CAAD10. (Black Inc) I loved it and after thinking it over for a few hours, I decided it was the right option for me. I won't be picking it up until next weekend. It's at a great price and has a combination of Ultegra DI2 shifters, with Dura Ace front and rear mechs'. I plan on adding my ENVE cockpit, Hollowgram cranks and EE brakes. (I'm hoping that there isn't any reason that prevents me running the EE brakes with the Ultegra levers together?)

The current crank and wheelset will be up for sale, and I'll be running my bomb proof Carbone SLR for the time being.

I'll post pictures when it is all done, and keep your eyes peeled for some classifieds shortly.

Miller76

by Miller76

Just waiting the for the Hollowgram crank remover so I can move over the cranks. Considering making the battery internal while I have the chainset off.. Just getting confused with what parts I would actually need to buy...

In going to be selling the Ultegra brakes, cannondale C1 bar/stem/seatpost, FSA SLK chainset and rings, and the tubeless wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com