Look frame choice - 586 vs 595 vs 695

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Hi all,
just wanted to ask for opinions from those who have ridden the above frames. Unfortunately my 586 cracked in an accident and is not repairable. So on the lookout for a new Look (forgive the pun). I loved the 586 but want to keep my options open a little. All three frames would be new (old stock for 586 and 595)

About me: 70kg / 188cm, climber/rouleur, not super powerful and want something comfortable (I have a cervelo S5 for crit / fast circuit racing) so this will be my nice day / climbing race bike. Build will be mechanical 9000 DA with Rotor 3D P2Max.

Geo will work on all three frames so no issue there.

695: wouldn't want the SR (prob too stiff), don't love the idea of the stem and won't be using the crank, but happy to pay the premium if it's substantially better

595: oldie but a goodie, great looking frame, by all accounts a fantastic ride and pretty light too.

586: tried and tested. like the colour scheme the best!

thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

thencameyou wrote:Geo will work on all three frames so no issue there.

Off the top of my head, I thought the 595/695 geo was the same, and the 586 different. Or are they all different?

My general point being ... the geometry of one of these models is going to be better suited to you and the type of riding you do than the other.

thencameyou

by thencameyou

They are close enough that they will all work. Put the geo to one side...

coloclimber

by coloclimber

595 by far
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

thencameyou

by thencameyou

thanks CC: can you expand on that?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

If you can find a 585, consider that. Maybe a 585 Ultra, unless you think it will be too stiff for you, but note that it does not have an ISP. 585 and 585 Ultra are oldies, but goodies.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I've got a 2010 585 frame in VGC on the way. So, looking forward to building it up.

Were these made in France? Was this the last year of making them there?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Svetty

by Svetty

I love my 585 but if I am honest it has been superceded by newer designs - particularly where the front end is concerned. Tapered head tubes with larger bottom bearings out-perform my Look especially on fast descents.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I heard that the 381 was the last French Look.

Is it fact that tapered heads (with larger bottom bearings) are better? I refuse to believe.
Less is more.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I've had a 595 ultra for several years. It is fast, climbs like a goat on crack, descends and corners magnificently, and it is stiff as it gets. Only complain I can come up with is that it's pretty uncomfortable after about the 80 mile mark. I have not ridden a 695, but if it was between a NOS 595 and a new 695, I seriously doubt the average mortal will be able to perceive or appreciate the difference. Given the price difference, I would take the 595 and run!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

bikerjulio wrote:I've got a 2010 585 frame in VGC on the way. So, looking forward to building it up.

Were these made in France? Was this the last year of making them there?
As with the 595, 585's were made in a Look owned and operated factory in Tunisia, with "finishing" in France. I don't know which year Tunisian production started, but no later than 2006 (and I think somewhere in he 2003-2005 time frame.. The 585 was introduced in 2004 (coinciding with opening of the Tunisian factory?). I think 2010 was the last year for 585's. Other than introduction of the Ultra in 2006 and at some point the Optimum and Elle versions, which differed from the 585 Origin only in geometry and paint job, the only other major change I am aware of was the introduction of the Head Fit system in 2009, which changed the stack vs.the previous "conventional" internal headset with (now conventional) ahead stem which was used in 2008 and earlier.

And oh yeah. the 585 and 585 Ultra do NOT have a stupid ISP, even if Look's ISP design is one of the better ones. And, as with the 595, they don't have the really stupid kink in the top tube, which Look employees publicly admitted on another forum is just for marketing, and serves no engineering purpose (other than brand identity).

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Thanks for the info HT.

Yes 2010 was definitely the last year for the 585. I found both the 2010 and 2011 catalogs online and it's not in the 2011.

Agree about the ISP idea. It's a solution in search of a problem. So many disadvantages, not least being that an ISP bike won't fit my travel box.

I guess the tapered fork discussion should have it's own thread. I have a variety of bikes including a Supersix with tapered fork. The idea sounds good in theory for front end stiffness, but I can't say I notice a huge difference in the real world. I'm guessing there's a lot more to the feel of the front end than just that.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

jasjas

by jasjas

I ve a 585 and a 595 and love both for racing, training and just enjoy riding around.

You are lucky to be able to get a new 595

rico

by rico

Based on my own experience of long rides, I would not buy a 595 for comfort. The ISP would always start to beat me up after 70 or 80 miles (as others have noted). Other than that it's a great bike. If you buy one s/h, look for cracks at the back of the ISP.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

595. The most beautiful Look frame produced and it works really well when I tried an Ultra. Didn't think of comfort as an issue comparing to my then regular Cannondale Caad10. Both with same saddles. The 695 is more like a spaceship with a lot of strange parts while the 595 is just pure class.