Sanding an R5 VWD?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bazmac

by bazmac

I'm keen to sand back my 2012 R5 VWD 56 cm but keen to know what sort of weight I might save? Secondly I'm not very well versed in how to do it, what sort, brand of paper to use and what grade to start and finish with? Also how to finish it so it is UV treated as I have read that bare carbon can be effected by the UV.

THANKS
Baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jonjones13

by jonjones13

I used Carbolift a few years back and worked out perfectly (still had to send some with fine grit, but Carbolift did most of the work...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bazmac

by bazmac

Thanks, I will try to source some in Australia. If not I might chat with the guys at my local bike shop to see what they say. Often the local shops are not great on advise for DIY. They just want you to pay them a lot of money for not much work. I'm not sure if this is the same elsewhere but in Brisbane this seems to be the case.

Cheers baz

em3

by em3

...I don't think you are going to yield any significant weight savings, given that the VWD has some of the thinnest paint you can find on a frame (notice how you can see the carbon layup on your frame when the sun shines on it??). I suspect you might yield a 20-25 grams savings after stripping clear coat, paint & decals. Unless you are seeking a stealth look I don't see why you would go through the trouble. EM3

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Carbolift didn't work at all for me. Seeing as you will have to sand it down afterwards, I would not use it. Go for the razor blade method and finish with fine grid paper (1000 and upwards).

Removing a color paint job will save you some 50-75 grams at best. Removing a clear coat will save you a lot less. Also take in account that Cervelo will have used only a tiny amount of paint to achieve a low weight AND that you will have to clear coat it again after you have removed the original paint. As such I would either leave it bare carbon (UV won't degrade it overnight, more likely in 20 years or so) or leave it as it is.

bazmac

by bazmac

em3 wrote:...I don't think you are going to yield any significant weight savings, given that the VWD has some of the thinnest paint you can find on a frame (notice how you can see the carbon layup on your frame when the sun shines on it??). I suspect you might yield a 20-25 grams savings after stripping clear coat, paint & decals. Unless you are seeking a stealth look I don't see why you would go through the trouble. EM3

Thanks appreciate your input and understand what you are saying makes sense.

Cheers baz

bazmac

by bazmac

SWijland wrote:Carbolift didn't work at all for me. Seeing as you will have to sand it down afterwards, I would not use it. Go for the razor blade method and finish with fine grid paper (1000 and upwards).

Removing a color paint job will save you some 50-75 grams at best. Removing a clear coat will save you a lot less. Also take in account that Cervelo will have used only a tiny amount of paint to achieve a low weight AND that you will have to clear coat it again after you have removed the original paint. As such I would either leave it bare carbon (UV won't degrade it overnight, more likely in 20 years or so) or leave it as it is.

Thanks and you have help make my decision easier as it seems like a lot of hard work for very little if any reward.

Cheers baz

fitty4

by fitty4

I saved 97 gr from a white 2008 cervelo r3. It was a bugger to sand down but I'm glad I did it. After sandning I used opti coat 2.0 which add about 1-2 gr I think If you ditch carbolift remember sanding block and mask. The blade thing didn't work for me since the finish of the frame was so bad and due to thick primer. I suspect the r5 has much better fininsh and less primer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com