Continental Race 28 Supersonic in the US?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

According the Continental's site, the lightest (50g) tubes they make are called the Race 28 Supersonic. I can't seem to find many places in the US that sell them, and when I do they're just called the Race Supersonic. For example on one prominent online shop, they have a tubed called the Continental Supersonic, and the product packaging they show has Race 700 Supersonic printed on it.

Are the Race 28 Supersonic, Race Supersonic, and Race 700 Supersonic all the same tube?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

Yep.....they are all the one you want. Light butyl tube with a replaceable core so you can run extenders that actually work well.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Just get them from wiggle or PBK. Downside, slow as dirt shipping. Last order took over a month to arrive in Florida. Pathetic. But great prices and free shipping!

drainyoo

by drainyoo

That's crazy. I don't want to wait that long.

If those are the same tubes, I'll just get them here. Rather annoying that they're called something different in the US.

@theremery, thanks!

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

BTW, the tubes might be 50g, but if you get them with something like 60mm stems, they weigh 103-104g. I just went out and weighed them , with no nut or cap.

Those weights they list never include the valve stem. Just the actual tube.

User Name

by User Name

^ Nah, I think you've got the regular Race 28s; the very light Supersonics I had were 53g, with a long stem.

Incidentally, I stopped using them coz I was getting far too many punctures that weren't really punctures, but scuff marks with tiny pin holes
Last edited by User Name on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Zigmeister wrote:BTW, the tubes might be 50g, but if you get them with something like 60mm stems, they weigh 103-104g. I just went out and weighed them , with no nut or cap.

Those weights they list never include the valve stem. Just the actual tube.

Yeah, these are just the Race. The Race Superlight tubes are 50g as mentioned above.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

When I managed a shop in Chicago we stocked them regularly. QBP stocks them, so anyone should be able to order them though I run a regular Race 28 in the rear and a Supersonic up front.

EDIT: I just logged in to QBP and they have over 50 in stock so tell your shop to order them, part number TU9274.

Last edited by carbonLORD on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carbonLORD.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Hmmm..could have sworn I ordered the super...never looked them over real well it looks like. Thnk you,guys are right. The supersonic isn't on the end of the name. Blows.

Whatever, they are for my training wheels..lhahah

wingguy

by wingguy

drainyoo wrote:According the Continental's site, the lightest (50g) tubes they make are called the Race 28 Supersonic. I can't seem to find many places in the US that sell them, and when I do they're just called the Race Supersonic. For example on one prominent online shop, they have a tubed called the Continental Supersonic, and the product packaging they show has Race 700 Supersonic printed on it.

Are the Race 28 Supersonic, Race Supersonic, and Race 700 Supersonic all the same tube?

28 is the same as 700, just be careful that Conti still make 650 road supersonic tubes which are packaged as 26.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

$52 and $119????? That can't be right.

Anyway, I found them on Jenson for $14 each. Thanks for all the clarification.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

About $15-$18/tube. Jenson has free shipping if over $50.
http://www.gosale.com/5277951/continental-supersonic-race
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist