Barfly 2.0 ripping my Garmin mounting tabs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I actually had the reverse issue.

Whilst testing the Barfly 2.0 with my 500, I was changing it as I was riding, hit a bump and broke off part of the Barfly.

My 500 was about 2 1/2 years old at the time, and its still working well almost 12 months later. :noidea:

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Same Garmin 510, no issues. I make sure when I take it on/off the mount, I press down on the Garmin to relieve any pressure as I twist giving support to the Barfly mount and relieving some slight friction at the same time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Based on what happened to my lost garmin due to K Force mount and ear tab failure I also suspect this to occur at some time with my current Bay Fly 2.0 or any other mount. It seems to me inherent in the design that after several years or repeated removal and remounting it will fail. Those that recover the flying hockey puck consider yourself lucky. I like the 500 enough I bought another one "used" and am counting down the days.

nickf

by nickf

Been using a 2.0 since i got my 200 and no issues. Just got the touring model and the tabs look new still. This is after around 3 months of use and being taken on and off many many times.

Rick

by Rick

Here are some pics of how I modified my Barfly mount to "soften up" the engagement.

I have two of these, and my Edge 500 now slips in slightly easier than into the Garmin OEM mount. Yet it still softly "clicks" in and I have had no problem with retention.
I did it with a dremel and one of those "cut anything" bits that are about 1/8th inch diameter.

upload pic

I see by my prior post that I did this over a year ago and it has been holding up fine, and so are the mounting tabs on my Garmin!

vision646

by vision646

I broke a 2.0 tab while using my 500, I could still use it but it wasn't a great fit.