Custom Bike Recs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvincere

by dvincere

I'm getting a team deal on a custom frame by a very well-respected one man builder. I already have an appointment to get fit with one of the most respected experts in the area.

What do I need to know going into this process?
What else do you recommend I do to make the most out of this?
Is there anything I should be cautious about?

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

I would ask the builder, as they are all different. Some prefer to measure you themselves, talk to you about your goals, uses for the bike, etc. Some work off geo charts of bikes you like or off your current bike. Some do both. It also will depend on how "in tune" you are with what you are looking for.

To get the most out of it you really just need experience. What have you liked about past bikes? What have you not liked? What stack and reach do you prefer? And tons of other things you can customize like chainstay length, bottom bracket drop, etc.

Is there something about off the shelf bikes that have you doing a custom build? Or is it just the fact that you get a team deal? Do you have comparatively long legs for your height? Short legs? Long arms? etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvincere

by dvincere

I'm not very fussy with bike fit actually so I am fine with a range of sizings -- so I'm not very in tune with my needs. I don't need it at all. It's just too hard to pass up and a good number of my teammates are in on it too. This is for a CX bike which shouldn't matter at all. I know he doesn't do the fittings himself but he does do a very in-depth interview about ride qualities and such.

Knowing I don't know, I want to make sure I get a bike I will want for a lifetime.