"Xpedo R Force Ti" pedals ... some play?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StanK

by StanK

Got new, but one pedal has tiny, tiny bit of play. Is it "normal", or should I be worried and ask for replace?

If I know that wouldn't feel that play under my cycling shoe, it would be OK, but if would be the case ... It will be too late to ask for replace.
The other pedal has no play at all. Just like Shimano A-600, on the bike right now.

2lo8

by 2lo8

Do you have the older version with bushings?
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StanK

by StanK

No, just this new one with "3 sealed bearings".
In their e-mail response, they telling me that tiny bit of play (really, really tiny) is OK.

I even looked my +10 years old Corratec SPD pedals, and they have similar tiny bit of play (due of usage, of course). But play is different - not inside/out, like on Xpedo,

but left/right, or up/down.

Frankly, I don't know what to do. Is it possible that there is some tolerance in that design? Meaning, I returned this pair of pedals, buy elsewhere other pair and end up with similar result?

:noidea:

alcatraz

by alcatraz

On my xpedo xrf07mc you tighten the cap on the opposite side of the pedal from the axle to preload the bearings. (This is not me reading the manual, simply trial and error, I could be doing it wrong)

Inside there is a lock nut, (reverse threads on one side), I loctite the threads on the cap (caps don't have any reverse threads) and set it just so that there is no play. Perfect. If I screw it until it bottoms out the pedals seize on the axle, if too far out I have play.

Now we have different model pedals so I don't know about yours.

2lo8

by 2lo8

If I remember correctly on these kinds of pedals the inner bearings slide on the spindle freely. It's the outer one that prevents side to side movement, so the screw/nut at the end of the axle must be tight, which holds the inner race tight to the axle. Then the dust cap must be tight to the pedal body because it holds the outer race in place.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

StanK

by StanK

Now I see that I've forgot to mention exact model. It's XRF06TT

On the side looks like this:
I've tried to remove that dust cap (I think is some sort of hard plastic) with screwdriver (applying relatively low force), but it hold up pretty well. So, I wouldn't do that.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Just checked mine, no play in either direction. I'd remove the cap try to adjust preload. The bearings will require disassembly for service sooner or later anyway, might as well learn how to do that now.

2lo8

by 2lo8

I was wrong, I thought these used the screw-in type dust caps.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

2lo8 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:01 am
I was wrong, I thought these used the screw-in type dust caps.
The screw in dust caps are on M-Force 8 Ti.

StanK

by StanK

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:03 pm
Just checked mine, no play in either direction...
Are you sure? :)
One of my (old) Corratec pedals develop significant play and that was easy to spot. Other pedal was fine. At least that I was think, until few days ago. That pedal too has some play but barelly noticable - only now when I had it in my hands I could tell. And play is tiny, tiny one, just like on Xpedo. On the bike I didn't feel any play.

So, think I wouldn't feel any play with that Xpedo too, when installed. I just fear that pedal would develop more play in shorter period of time.
Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:03 pm
... I'd remove the cap try to adjust preload. The bearings will require disassembly for service sooner or later anyway, might as well learn how to do that now.
Would be great if you put some words in here about that. :wink:
I didn't even know it was possible to service that pedals. :oops:

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

StanK wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:01 pm
Are you sure? :)
If the play is so small that I can't notice it with bike hanging off the hook, I see no point being bothered by it.
StanK wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:01 pm
Would be great if you put some words in here about that. :wink: I didn't even know it was possible to service that pedals. :oops:
Lol nope, can't help here - mine did not need any service yet, but surely Xpedo should have some maintenance documents available or somebody posted an instruction video already.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

I'm not sure how the bearings are retained on this model. It could just be the nut on the axle is loose (which is still not good because if it loosens completely, there goes your pedal flying off). If there is no circlip, it could be a bad pressfit that allows the outer race to slide in the pedal body.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]