HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:39 am 

Nah. Chain drives run at a relatively low speed and stop almost immediately in a crash.
Discs don't.

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:39 am 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:00 am 

The crash hazard is a bit over stated.

Objects to avoid as you fly through the air in a crash that already exist and can do you harm include (but by no means exhaustively):

Off the bike:
Vehicles
Buildings
Pedestrians
Road furniture
Lamp posts
Signs
Other riders
The ground
Livestock

On the bike:
Chainrings
Pedals
Spinning wheels (I know from bitter, painful experience)
Handlebars
Stems

And I could go on. Most of these are larger, potentially more damaging and already in existence on and around road bikes. Yet I don't hear any calls for 'safer chainrings' or the likes. The point is, a disc rotor is almost the least of your worries in the event of a crash. Not a significant enough reason not to sanction the use of discs.

Disc rotors are quite small, and located quite far out of the way relative to wheel spokes. Having lost the best part of my thumb to wheel spokes in a crash, I can tell you that you have far greater chance of doing that than by getting your finger trapped in a 140mm rotor. Also, since the rotor sits within the frame/fork, you are relatively well protected from it.

I run discs exclusively now on all 3 of my road bikes. I am a convert. There are many valid reasons why they are difficult to translate into mass start racing such as tolerance in the event of a wheel change, different sized rotors etc. But there are also (inevitably) many people who haven't even tried them hurling all sorts of barriers in the way that are either not correct, or are criticisms that could be leveled at existing tech.

The fact is that for a standalone self supported bike, they offer huge advantage, but for mass participation events they have some issues yet to resolve.

I just don't buy the whole crash risk angle. Disk brakes have been used successfully now off road for decades where crashes are perhaps more common place and their use has never been challenged on safety grounds. On the contrary, the safety that reliable consistent braking offers is on balance far greater than the small risk of incurring an injury in the event of a crash.

I am not saying there isn't a risk. There is. But it isn't enough on its own to put the UCI off allowing the use of discs in mass participation road race events.

Last edited by solarider on Fri May 02, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:30 am 

I think I would like these for long and twisty descents but not for wheel changes and tight group riding with other riders on rim brakes.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:39 am 

solarider wrote:
Objects to avoid as you fly through the air in a crash that already exist and can do you harm include (but by no means exhaustively):

Off the bike:
Vehicles
Buildings
People
Road furniture
Lamp posts
Signs
Other riders
The ground

On the bike:
Chainrings
Pedals
Spinning wheels (I know from bitter, painful experience)
Handlebars
Stems

I went out for a pre-work ride this morning on my disc bike and crashed. :-( Front wheel flat on a descent, I bailed into a soft but muddy verge.

Out of your list the things that did me harm were:
- the ground
- the bike (handlebars possibly, one ergo is twisted round and I have a strange graze on my chest).

Actually I got off fairly lightly all things considered although the bike needs a little work.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5