Considering a Lynskey Roleur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

photocycler

by photocycler

In my long quest for finding a bike that is somewhat inexpensive where I can commute to work on, lockup at work in bike room, not worry about riding in the rain, and have something enjoyable/sporty enough for my weekend rides and longer rides after work. Basically one bike to do it all

It would be nicer to have just one bike and also more cost effective, so I was considering the Lynskey Roleur with Enve 2.o Fork - currently running 30% off frames so i can get a Ti frame with Enve 2 fork shipped for just over $1300

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/rouleur.html

Or there is somewhat of a more expensive option to keep my current steel bike and build up a Caad10 Aluminum. This option will be a little more costly as i have to build and maintain 2 bikes. Also, even though i like to have a quiver of bikes...there is something to be said about having just one bike that you feel comfortable on.

I am not very familiar with Lynskey but they seem to have been around for awhile and its a remarkable deal for this frameset.

Any feedback on the brand or advice in helping me make my decision is welcomed.

GT56

by GT56

start with a CAADX , put on a set of SKS fenders (there's mount threads are on the frame), and swap the tyres for some Conti 4 Seasons of Schwalbe Marathons and there is your sporty commuter

come summer take off the fenders, and put on some lighter tyres, or get a CAAD10 with a bit of 'volume' discount

take a close look at the geo table of the CAADX, it is quite a bit taller than Cannondale's road bikes

sorry my advice does not allow for the lynskey....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I have been thinking about getting/builiding one bike to do it all as well, but so far no luck. Do it all does included cyclocross for me too though, which doesn't appear to be on your list. In that case do it all is doable. The Rouleur appears to be a nice smooth tourer bike and it ticks all the boxes, but the best I can see the frame does not have any fender or rack mounts. For me a commuter bike needs to have these, seeing as non bolt on fenders kind a suck and carrying around stuff on a rack beats having to carry it on your back every day.

photocycler

by photocycler

SWijland wrote:I have been thinking about getting/builiding one bike to do it all as well, but so far no luck. Do it all does included cyclocross for me too though, which doesn't appear to be on your list. In that case do it all is doable. The Rouleur appears to be a nice smooth tourer bike and it ticks all the boxes, but the best I can see the frame does not have any fender or rack mounts. For me a commuter bike needs to have these, seeing as non bolt on fenders kind a suck and carrying around stuff on a rack beats having to carry it on your back every day.

Sine my commute is mainly on a nice paved path, I have realized that the 28mm tires i run are not a necessity. I can run 23mm tires on the new bike with the pdw full metal fenders which are not flimsy - I actually see a lot of people here in Portland running this setup. I always use a messenger bag as I am not a fan of the panniers or a rack.

Juanmoretime wrote:Having multiple bikes is always the best way to go. I have my road, CX, fixie, tt and mountain bikes as choices for the day.

I'm not familiar with that model but I have had my R320 six years this month. The honeymoon is not over and I plan to still be on it 6 years from now. I did previously change up bikes every few years but my Lynskey changed that. It just feels great every time I ride it.

I agree having multiple is key, I do have multiple mountain bikes. Its been really tricky with my road bike though. I have had many a nice road bikes that sit since they only get ridden during the weekends on summer months here in portland. I always enjoy the weekends rides but the majority of my summer mileage is done during the week, after work I go out for long rides. So ideally would be great to have a good middle ground bike I can commute on and also do my longer rides on

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

That's a great deal on a Lynskey. If I didn't already own a Merlin Cr Works, I might buy one.

ttakata73

by ttakata73

If you commute in Portland, would it make sense to blow your budget and get a Sportive Disc?
At least then you won't want a better bike down the road since that or the Salsa Colossal/Warbird are the best disc ti bikes going.

willieboy

by willieboy

Lynskey = Great bike! Does everything well.

Deev

by Deev

I agree with ttakata73 - the Sportive Disc makes so much sense. Discs rule in the wet.

photocycler

by photocycler

ended up going with just the roleur, kept my fender bike ..building the lynskey up soon and Im pretty excited for my first Ti bike

ajh

by ajh

I had a Lynsey Pro Cross and found that the bb area a little too soft. When I did sprint workouts in large gears from a very slow speed the chain would jump off the large ring to the outside. This was not caused by shifting as I was already in the gear. Just be careful not to do this and you should be good to go.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Hi, I wound up with a Lynskey r230 for much the same purpose. I work at a uni and plenty of the bikes there don't get a whole lotta love and are just jammed into the racks.

The tube walls on my Klein are paper thin and I didn't fancy taking a bash in that nor the super record getting marked.

Ended up with an Enve 2 fork as I'm a heavy weight and this has a hight weight rating. Athena all round and the wheels off my Klein. Deda stem ($20) and Itm bar ($40). 2 layers of bar tape for comfort (big hands). Ritchey post $30.

Very very comfortable bike. Not quite as stiff as the Klein but rides extremely well. Way more tyre clearance than the Klein which is handy.

Enjoy!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ajh

by ajh

It was a brand new ring and replaced with another brand new ring and it still happened

Even happened on a trainer

Normal riding was fine so I just stopped doing that workout on the bike