The Great Long Drop Brake Debate

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

basilic

by basilic

Thanks Rick. Looks like you dremeled about 2 mm? (The initial location was not quite at the bottom of the slot)

Dov

by Dov

Those Bdop things are $60 a bike!

That's such poor value.

Does anyone have any real world experience with the TRP RG957?
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

$60 for two sets is poor value? Being a small business I almost fail to see how the guy is even making a profit on these considering the workmanship and low volume. Plus I think there are some brake pads without holders out there going for more...

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Not to mention that $60 is small beans compared to the cost of a set of DA brakes.

TimW

by TimW

What about these? they are what I run on my winter bike with full length mudguards. Not fantastic but cheap. Edit: hardly DA9000 level but fine for a winter bike.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-performan ... liper-set/

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

TimW wrote:What about these? they are what I run on my winter bike with full length mudguards. Not fantastic but cheap. Edit: hardly DA9000 level but fine for a winter bike.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-performan ... liper-set/

poor quality, tend to rust, their pads are killer for the rims. I'd avoid them, as they're expensive (if you buy a decent compound pad, which is a must for those brakes.)

Essentially they're the same as tektro R510, believe it or not, they even have R510 stamped on the inside of the arms.. :D

I'd go for some Campy caliper (50mm max drop instead of shimano's 49mm) sometimes just that 1mm is all you need. Or opt for Shimano Long drop calipers, or some more decent (7series) tektro..

Choice is up to you, but I'd strongly advise you to stay away from miche performance if you don't want to re-lace the rims in a few months : )

DMF

by DMF

I'd vouch for the Shimano BR650, essentially Ultegra BR-6600. Had one in use for years and it's pretty much flawless and on par with the Ultegra (semi inofficially it is Ultegra). I reckon it could be tuned a fair bit too without resorting to the Dremel, just bolts and bits.

euan

by euan

And even then the Shimano R451s are surprisingly good brakes if you change the pads. You can get a pair and some Swissstop blue/greens for less than one R650