Cannondale Dilemma

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Hey everyone, I just wanted to get an opinion on my current situation.

I currently have a Cannondale Evo built with Sram Red, Zipp cockpit, Reynolds wheels.

I am about to score a brand new replacement CAAD10 frame for ridiculously cheap, but I'm not sure what to do yet. I also have a Sram Rival group on my Bridgestone commuter that I can easily take off. I'm debating between a few situations.

1. Build the CAAD10 with Sram Rival, use it as a crit/rain bike, and keep the Evo.
2. Build the CAAD10 with the Sram Red, sell the Evo frame, and get myself a decent tubular wheel set.
3. Sell the CAAD10, sell the Evo, get a hi-mod Evo, and possibly have money for other bits.

Other suggestions are welcome, I just wanted to get other point of views.

:beerchug:
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

HillRPete

by HillRPete

2. but i'm on a bit of a "trim the zoot" mission myself at the moment.
Except if you crash a lot in the crits, then 1.

Loving the Evo btw, and yours in particular, but since you asked ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wederkinck

by Wederkinck

1! Your EVO is so nice.

legs 11

by legs 11

None of the above :D
Sell the Sram, sell the Evo and buy a Chorus groupset.

CAAD10 with Campagnolo Chorus............. :idea: :beerchug:
Pedalling Law Student.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Personally, I don't see a problem with having two bikes, so I say go #1.

There's also #4: Sell the CAAD10 and put the money toward the aforementioned tubular set ;)

numberSix

by numberSix

Um, get the 10 and ride it? Then decide?

I have an Evo hi-mod and love it. All day comfortable, amazing power transfer. It isnt a Synapse, so if you have lots of rough pavement it might not be the right bike.

I also have a CAAD9. Great bike, stiffer fork, comfortable for about 30 miles. Doesn't feel as efficient as the Evo. I've talked to owners and read reviews all over the place; CAAD10 feels like an Evo, feels worse than a CAAD9, etc. Way too many variables, do your own test!

Raining, dirty pavement, the Evo stays home.

Test and report back :-D

rheosibal

by rheosibal

wassertreter wrote:2. but i'm on a bit of a "trim the zoot" mission myself at the moment.
Except if you crash a lot in the crits, then 1.

Loving the Evo btw, and yours in particular, but since you asked ...

Thanks for the compliments. I don't crash in crits, but I'm constantly on my toes about others crashing and completely ruining the evo. I love crits and I can feel more content with ruining a caad than an evo.

Wederkinck wrote:1! Your EVO is so nice.

Thanks for the compliment!

legs 11 wrote:None of the above :D
Sell the Sram, sell the Evo and buy a Chorus groupset.

CAAD10 with Campagnolo Chorus............. :idea: :beerchug:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have yet to jump to Campy. There's nothing wrong with the group, I just really love Shimano/Sram

FIJIGabe wrote:Personally, I don't see a problem with having two bikes, so I say go #1.

There's also #4: Sell the CAAD10 and put the money toward the aforementioned tubular set ;)

Yes, there is that option! Realistically I don't have much money to add if I sell the CAAD. I would however have more if I sold the Evo, but we'll see :)
numberSix wrote:Um, get the 10 and ride it? Then decide?

I have an Evo hi-mod and love it. All day comfortable, amazing power transfer. It isnt a Synapse, so if you have lots of rough pavement it might not be the right bike.

I also have a CAAD9. Great bike, stiffer fork, comfortable for about 30 miles. Doesn't feel as efficient as the Evo. I've talked to owners and read reviews all over the place; CAAD10 feels like an Evo, feels worse than a CAAD9, etc. Way too many variables, do your own test!

Raining, dirty pavement, the Evo stays home.

Test and report back :-D

Thanks for the input! At this point I may just build the CAAD with Rival, and test the waters between the two. I would love having two bikes, one for foul weather/crits, and the other for road races, etc., but I think having one should be enough, especially since I'm still in college.

rheosibal

by rheosibal

I do have other options

#5) Sell the Evo/Sram Red, build the CAAD10 with DA and a nice tubular wheelset.

Honestly, there are a million options. I was just looking at what was most cost efficient without having to pitch additional $$

DMF

by DMF

I've recently come up with the conclusion that the setup of bikes that enables me to ride the most amount of time, is the best solution. I.e a foul weather bike is a must. Or depending on where you live, more than one foul weather bike might be necessary, I live in Sweden so there is really a need for three bikes. One for nice summer weather, one for foul summer weather and spring/fall weather, and a third for really early spring and really late fall, that way the nicer foul weather bike can be less of a beater. Plus a cross and/or mtb for pure winter.

Having super nice bikes but nothing to ride in poor weather, just seems like a waste of valuable time.

numberSix

by numberSix

Get the CAAD10 frame, don't send in the warranty card just yet. Build it up with Rival from your spare bike.

Test it with your best wheelset (from the Evo?), back to back with the Evo.

Unless you're sponsored, your crit bike better be something you can afford to destroy.
You might want to research Cannondale's crash replacement policy. IMO most brands will have you waiting weeks if not months for that replacement frame or fork. Which is why so many go the route of multiple bikes.

Last crit I spectated, the leader got taken out by the pace motorcycle :-/
Stuff happens, just sayin.

djconnel

by djconnel

Sell both bikes along with all worldly possessions, become a monk, and seek enlightenment.

Well, it's an option...

rheosibal

by rheosibal

btompkins0112 wrote:Option 2

Thanks! Sweet CAAD by the way
DMF wrote:I've recently come up with the conclusion that the setup of bikes that enables me to ride the most amount of time, is the best solution. I.e a foul weather bike is a must. Or depending on where you live, more than one foul weather bike might be necessary, I live in Sweden so there is really a need for three bikes. One for nice summer weather, one for foul summer weather and spring/fall weather, and a third for really early spring and really late fall, that way the nicer foul weather bike can be less of a beater. Plus a cross and/or mtb for pure winter.

Having super nice bikes but nothing to ride in poor weather, just seems like a waste of valuable time.

You're absolutely right, thanks for the input. I currently live in Hawaii, and I will soon be moving back to CA. As of right now, a foul weather bike isn't THAT necessary for me since it's great riding weather about 24/7.

numberSix wrote:Get the CAAD10 frame, don't send in the warranty card just yet. Build it up with Rival from your spare bike.

Test it with your best wheelset (from the Evo?), back to back with the Evo.

Unless you're sponsored, your crit bike better be something you can afford to destroy.
You might want to research Cannondale's crash replacement policy. IMO most brands will have you waiting weeks if not months for that replacement frame or fork. Which is why so many go the route of multiple bikes.

Last crit I spectated, the leader got taken out by the pace motorcycle :-/
Stuff happens, just sayin.

That's what I'm on the verge of doing. I will at least try out both before letting go of one. Yikes, that's pretty brutal, hopefully that person is alright.

djconnel wrote:Sell both bikes along with all worldly possessions, become a monk, and seek enlightenment.

Well, it's an option...

LOL, that is another option as well.

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Thanks for the replies, I think I know what I will end up doing. I plan on building the CAAD10 with the rival I have and riding that for awhile. I will rebuild the evo to stock specs and eventually sell it.. ANYONE INTERESTED? :thumbup:

I will eventually rebuild the CAAD 10 with DA9070..I heard the 2014 framesets have the compatibility for both mechanical and electronic. My roomate is currently taking a shimano tech class and he get's shimano items for ~45% off, so I'm hoping to get a full group for about $1300.

Any leftover money will go to WW parts, and possibly a nice set of tubular wheels.

Thanks again for the replies!

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Ride tubulars, being the most important criteria. CAAD or Evo? Not important.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com