Would you do this with a lightweight bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Thirstyman

by Thirstyman

Nice video. Brings back memories and fills some gaps for me. I made this decent a few years back although I was carrying so much speed and had such tunnel vision that I missed the road on the lower right in the parking lot at the chateau (he took this and it was the way I ascended) that leads to Bedoin. I took the higher one on the left and I ended up in Sault which is a less steep and much rougher road so I missed the steep section he enjoyed in the forest. I returned to Bedoin via the Gorges de la Nesque. That was truly superb.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

Not sure what "lightweight bike" has to do with it. I would not ride a flimsy, poor handling, unstable, mechanically questionable, or poor fitting bike down that, but I would ride one of my Addicts or my Merlin down it without question (although, not knowing the corners, I would not go that fast). It did seem to me though, that on the turns where he was wide, he either didn't know about counter steering or forgot (but it may have been an illusion).

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

The slow speed pass to the right of the car at the very end of the video was reckless and improper.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

What's the light bike got too do with it? My 5.3kg Parlee is my descent weapon of choice! At least that road was smooth and he looks like he's done it before.
This was in Cali, first time on that hill ( had looped up from the other side ) and it's the wrong side of the road. http://youtu.be/HFhshwuxGpk

I can't wait to try some of the big euro descents also keen to seriously crack the 100kph mark. Not many places where it's doable here and the last time I was on a hill that's long and steep enough I had a 25kph head wind to deal with

bazmac

by bazmac

One word, Brave. No maybe two words, brave...crazy!

Baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ttakata73

by ttakata73

I've done 90mph leaned over and 135mph down the straight of Willow Springs on a superbike and found those speeds sort of disturbing.
Public roads are not controlled environments so I would have to wear a full motorcycle outfit to attempt this and I would probably go a lot slower.
This guy sure has some big cajones.

djm

by djm

131 kph? Sounds like bullshit. Big balls? Sounds like complete lack of the ability to assess risk. But I guess that's just two sides of the same story.

Either way I hope Redbull or himself provides his family, if he has one (I hope not), with decent insurance coverage :-)

Additionally, in the photo in the linked to article, the man appears to be wearing regular underwear underneath his tt suit. He cannot by any means be taken seriously.. :smartass: :twisted:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

He sure is hooking along, it's pretty apparent this isn't his first attempt. Not digging the leg out through every corner.. At those kinds of speeds tucking with your pedals flat and knees in would wash off less speed through the corners. He's sure got a pair of stones though it's a seriously fast run down that hill

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I don't get so many of you questioning the sanity/being impressed by the courage of this rider. What do you think you are supposed to do on a descent like this? Drag your brakes? You have to let it go, brake before the curves, and then let it go again. Strap a camera on your head and it would look pretty much like the video. Sure you could scrub off some speed in the straightaways but will that really be that much safer? Just means your tires will be that much harder in the curves - not a good thing. The fact that the road is open to traffic is a very minor factor. The only difference is that you have to stick to your lane exiting the blind curves. Otherwise play it the way you see it in any grand tour. Maybe some of you simply haven't experienced this sort of terrain but it really is not such a big deal.

I was watching the Wengen world cup downhill this weekend and even on a shortened course the skiers were hitting over 150 km/h. The cyclist in the video probably never hit 90 km/h.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

legs 11

by legs 11

Agreed, I've ridden that decent lots of times..........he's not doing 80 mph at any point on that video.
Even at full tuck you'd struggle to go much quicker than 50-55 mph at any point (which still feels pretty quick on that particular road BTW! :shock: ).
It's not as quick as some of the big decents in the Alps, it's too twisty and has too many blind turns to really hit it flat out and use all the road.
I smell bullshit.
Pedalling Law Student.

djm

by djm

Mr. Gib, I usually raise my head and torso as much as possible to increase aerodynamic drag, without letting go of the hoods, when I feel the speed is approaching what isn't safe. Only after that I start applying the brakes carefully.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

djm wrote:Mr. Gib, I usually raise my head and torso as much as possible to increase aerodynamic drag, without letting go of the hoods, when I feel the speed is approaching what isn't safe. Only after that I start applying the brakes carefully.

I'm with you here djm, using the body to slow down is definitely preferable to using the brakes, I use my legs as well as my torso - good standard practice. (The exception might be with strong swirling winds.)

The one questions I have is hoods? I have never been happy with my hands on the hoods when blitzing a descent. Drops only for me. Comes in especially handy if two deer jump in front of you while decending Col d'Ornon into Bourg d'Oisans. :shock:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ttakata73

by ttakata73

I can admit I have a good deal of experience crashing at slow speeds snowboarding, on bicycles, pocketbikes, and off road motorcycling. Crashing at slow speeds isn't fun and if I didn't wear a neck brace and real helmet, I would certainly be dead or paralysed.

I also rode motorcycles and cars through mountain passes like Angeles Crest and the Colorado Rockies and sometimes me or the opposing traffic would not be in our lanes. Traffic laws won't spare a cyclist if an opposing car or RV drives right into you. My friend ran his Klx250s straight into a scooter on some random dirt path in the middle of nowhere Laos. We had to bend his cromoly handlebars back into shape, the scooter looked like it exploded. The thing with desolate roads is both people think no one else is around so driving on the correct side is optional.

I think this guy is a bit foolish in his runs unless he actually has a friend ahead confirm no traffic is coming.
Well if he has a deathwish, he is going to go out enjoying himself.

If a person can fall in a bathtub the wrong way and die, I question if a cycling helmet will save you at those speeds since they don't cover the lower half of your head. I got a slight concussion crashing at 15-20 mph off a pocketbike and my head only fell about 3 feet while wearing a full face Shoei motorcycle helmet.

Sorry for being a downer.
When you get old, you tend to worry more.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Those of us that do this sort of thing are under no illusions. This is very dangerous stuff. Things will happen, animals will, jump out, cars in wrong lane, stopped vehicles around blind curves. The odds of whether you escape injury or death will depend on technique and skill. The memorials to the dead on the various mountains around the world testify that sometimes this isn't good enough. Know the risk, act accordingly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stuka666

by stuka666

For me, it's stupid dangerous, I did 90km/h and it was stupid enough.