Titanium Bolts in stem. Questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

alanjob wrote:Hi all.

@carbonlord
im not worried about the gram savings, more worried about corrosion.

Alan

Gotcha.

This being the WW forum I assumed.
carbonLORD.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

madcow wrote:I would strongly agree with DMF about ti bolts. Most far east ti comes ungraded and varies greatly in it's quality. I know of one company that switched from far East ti to U.S. made ti even though it was more expensive, they stated that with the far East ti they had been receiving it had a 30-35% failure/rejection rate when testing.

I've seen plenty of ti bolts in stems with the heads popping off, not from crashes, but just from general use. The only redeeming thing is that there is redundancy in the bolts. It's pretty rare that more than one bolt brakes at a time, so usually failures are not catastrophic. I have seen just a couple times where two bolts snapped at the same time, but not frequently.

My advice if you want ti for a stem, go with a known and graded ti such as probolt.

I always get my ti bolts from Jersey Cycles, but not sure of the quality of if they're graded. No issues so far, though.

campagnolo321

by campagnolo321

carbonLORD wrote:Not a wise place to look for gram savings.

My concerns would be creaking and pinging.

Titanium bends and is too soft.

Save grams in inner tubes where it matters (rotational weight).

Just an opinion.

So you would'nt suggest buying your brakes then ?

alanjob

by alanjob

Hi guys

I fitted the titanium bolts and washers. Seem to be strong enough but I think ill order some off pro-bolt to be sure.

Only problem the cheap tape I used to mark the bars has removed some of the print the bar. Any ideas how to remove it completely?

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

acetone will clear the paint off. There are plenty of threads on that. Look for stripping paint off aluminum.

alanjob

by alanjob

@ FIJIGabe

Thanks, standard paint thinners removed it. Looks much better.

Alan

kac

by kac

If I recall correctly, the bolts in the Extralite OC Road Stem are titanium. I've had that stem in place for >2 years and (so far), I've had no trouble. But, some of the comments on this thread have me a bit worried...

DMF

by DMF

I can think of atleast 30 stems right off the top of my head that come standard with Ti bolts. There are no worries (except for the old 3T ARX Team stuff). As long as you recognize the difference between Ti bolts and Ti bolts... (as per mentioned multiple times in this thread).

And to the OP with the Bontrager stem, "seem to be strong enough" is a laughable way of gauging things, esp. for an engineer no matter what field. Please don't ride those bolts with the stem.

bazmac

by bazmac

Hey, really good post, some great info about the certified Ti bolts.

Much appreciated.
Baz

alanjob

by alanjob

@DMF

LOL, ill order some bolts from pro-bolt. ive fitted the bolts as this is my good bike and ill not be riding it till the better weather.

Thanks guys for all your inputs.

Alan