the old scott addict: still a top level frame???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prebsy

by prebsy

The scott addict has gotten plenty of love here over the years for it's overall performance and super low weight. So I am wondering, does the old addict still compete higher end bikes of today?

The last model year before the revamp was 2011. I am looking at picking up a top end addict from the 2011 or early era on the cheap. Would I be better off with a mid level frame from 2013-2014??

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Ummmmmmm....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poully

by poully

This is a good question.
Who's gonna answer it? :)
Anyone compared the earlier Addict with a later Carbon frame?
I went 2010 Addict to Litespeed and Caad10 so can't compare like for like.....but I too picked up a good deal on an 08 LTD that I couldn't resist.
I'm now considering a Supersix Evo Hi Mod which I believe tracks better downhill, however I've no idea how a 2011 Addict would compare to a mid price 2013/14 Carbon frame. I suspect it would still stand up very well indeed.
C'mon guys, I'm curious on this one too.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I, like poully, have two Addicts (and a ZX3, Merlin CR). I bought an '08 R2 (in '08). I've ridden it many mile and this year started to get the bug for a new frame I could slap new DA9000 on. I was debating between SuperSix Evo HiMod, Bura SL, and Ridley Helium SL, but I found a crazy good deal on an '11 Addict R1 than I couldn't pass up. For me, the Addict is a known quantity. The only newer frame I've ridden was a Bura SL, which is a really nice frame, and the 2013s can be found for a really good deal too. Maybe a little quicker handling than the Addict, and 100g lighter, but then again the size medium I rode felt a little smaller than my Addict medium. It didn't make me want to spend the extra bucks to get one over an Addict. The SuperSix looks like a great choice, but they are a little harder to find deals on, and even with a deal will cost more (and around here, everybody and their dog owns one). I have to qualify my opinion with the fact that a size medium Addict fits me perfectly. I just love the handling of the Addicts too.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Of course it still competes. Even the HMF frames are still lighter than many current mid to top end bikes, and it's very stiff. I built my replacement R3 frame this summer after my original cracked - right around the UCI limit with alu clinchers and 9000:

A new Addiction by MajorMantra, on Flickr

Geoff

by Geoff

I have a whole pile of Addicts that Bert raced at Highroad.

Over the years, that bike was really a great ride. In my experience, the last USP-version is as-good a frame as any out there today. Before you say it, I fully appreciate that my frames are not production frames, but I am also comparing it against other World Tour Team bikes in my collection, so I submit that it is still an 'apples to apples' comparison.

Great ride.

prebsy

by prebsy

God that addict looks great with dura ace 9000. I guess the real question here is: was the addict ahead of its time? It sounds like it really was, we all know the weight was light years ahead of its time.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

prebsy wrote:I guess the real question here is: was the addict ahead of its time?

Way!

DrewBru

by DrewBru

I have a 2007 addict LTD. I recently changed to a 2013 wiler zero7 and upgraded a few pieces (cranks, seat). But the rest of the build between the bikes is the same. In comparison, the zero7 is slightly lighter (about 100g). Both accelerate and climb well. The addict may even descend beter at high speed or it may be my comfort level with it. The main difference is ride quality. The wilier dampens road vibrations so much better, which is important when you live in a place like Manila. So I'd say the addict was ahead of its time in terms of weight and stiffness but the new generation of carbon frames do more for comfort or in other cases aerodynamics.

NS

by NS

Mate of mine bought a new old stock Addict R1 because he cracked his Parlee Z5. He hasnt bothered getting his Z5 repaired!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poully

by poully

DrewBru wrote:I have a 2007 addict LTD. I recently changed to a 2013 wiler zero7 and upgraded a few pieces (cranks, seat). But the rest of the build between the bikes is the same. In comparison, the zero7 is slightly lighter (about 100g). Both accelerate and climb well. The addict may even descend beter at high speed or it may be my comfort level with it. The main difference is ride quality. The wilier dampens road vibrations so much better, which is important when you live in a place like Manila. So I'd say the addict was ahead of its time in terms of weight and stiffness but the new generation of carbon frames do more for comfort or in other cases aerodynamics.

Great comparison....not many better frames than the Zero 7 out there at present :thumbup: