Zipp wheels with Enve Pads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

civdic

by civdic

Has anyone used enve pads with zipp wheels? My zipp pads are done and I have a new set of enve pads that could be used. Should I give them a try?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Twinning

by Twinning

If it doesn't void the warranty then give it a go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted the quote.

civdic

by civdic

I'm just curious if the zipp pads and enve pads are made by the same company or perform the same way. They look, feel smell and taste similar. The colour is slightly different. I know swissstop makes the Zipps but I can't seem to find who makes the enve's.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I own both 2013 404's, 6.7 etc and I say don't do it. The ENVE pad compound is twice as hard as the Zipp Platinum Pro (Swisstop) compound and seems like it would be too rough on the Zipp rim finish.

Just pony up $40 bucks and get the Black Prince, I think they are allowed by Zipp, (I know they are for ENVE now) but dont quote me there.

Zipp has live chat, why not ask them?

http://www.zipp.com/about/contact.php
carbonLORD.com

eric

by eric

What do they taste like? Have you done a blind tasting with other carbon pads? Or perhaps a vertical tasting of different vintages of Zipp pads?

Wine geek jokes aside I agree, ask Zipp.

sawyer

by sawyer

I have used ENVE pads on zipps ... but yes, they are harder than Zipp pads which are very soft, and Zipp advise people to use softer compounds.

Fine if you're not in the mountains but otherwise there are better options. Reynolds blue are a bit softer also.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

civdic

by civdic

Alright...zipp it is. Anyone looking for Enve pads?

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Good call...

And the definitive answer is always http://www.zipp.com/support/maintenance/brakepads.php

BTW the Black Prince work very well...wear is fast, but stopping power is quite good. In fact I had a AL DT Swiss back rim and my regular 202 on the front for a while and I got better stopping power from the front wheel vs the rear. Sure, physics plays a role (or is that a "roll") but I was impressed at how well my carbon wheel stopped vs the aluminum.

Tricky1

by Tricky1

I called Zipp a few months ago on the same topic, and the Enve pads were not approved. I tried the black prince pads, and Zipp tangente's (grey compound), both with alarming wear rate, but good performance. Finally settled with Zipp cork pads. As I'm a bigger rider, they wear much, much better and perform adequate. They're about the best all-around pads (no exp. in the wet though) I've found so far.

gitsome

by gitsome

According to the latest testing in Tour Magazine even uttering the words Zipp and Enve in the same sentence may cause spontaneous combustion and a dangerous explosion.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Zipp platinum pros are great on zipp wheels.