Turbo Trainer Rocking - Best Options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

Hi all,

I currently own a Wahoo Kickr Core. My main use of the turbo is Zwift races. I rarely work on intervals, but if I was to live without them, I'd be fine. The unit works faultlessly. However, I am pretty disturbed by the lack of rocking, especially to the left (this is where the freewheel sits). Especially on longer rides, I get my left hip to be somewhat stiff, and after 1 year of use, who knows whether that has created some kind of imbalance.

So I've decided that I need to have a rocking turbo. There are many ways to achieve this, and I thought I'd grab your opinion on what would be the best way to go:

1. Get a cheap(ish) rocking plate.

As an example, Wiggle is selling some for around £220. I haven't researched into them, but I am left wondering why there's others that cost close to £1000..

2. Get an expensive rocking plate.

As an example, Saris make the MP1 that cost around £850. Honestly, I wouldn't want to spend this much and this is my least favourite option as is, but if there's such a great reason to do so, I'm willing to listen.

3. Get a top range direct drive turbo trainer.

Both the new gen Kickr and the Tacx Neo seem to have inbuilt rocking. I'd need to sell my unit and get a new one, so probably I'd "lose" some £600 in the process. Other than rocking, I have zero interest for a higher-end unit.

4. Get a top range smart wheel-on trainer.

I'd also need to buy a spare (disc brake) wheel, so probably between this and the sale of my Wahoo, I'd be slightly worse off financially. Only concern is that (a) I don't have a pedal-based PM so I'd rely on the unit and (b) I would guess noise and general experience might be a step down from my current unit.

===

Clearly, a DIY option might be the best, however I have zero tools, zero time, and zero manual skills.

Ideas? Suggestions? What would you do?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

demoCRIT

by demoCRIT

did you try a rocker plate?
I did and I'm not getting one....
I couldn't stand the fact that they lean to opposite way vs what you experience in real life + it didnt really relived any "issues" with static sitting...

Neo user.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I didn’t like the built-in play on the Tacx Neo whenever I tried it out in shops. I used a trainer mat on top of interlocking gym floor mats and that provided plenty of rocking for me. It did rob me of 30W or so in sprints, so I’m back to a single mat now for my Saris/CycleOps Hammer.

My recommendation is to shift your butt around every once in a while and also briefly pedal out of the saddle more often than you would outdoors.

robeambro

by robeambro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:27 pm
I didn’t like the built-in play on the Tacx Neo whenever I tried it out in shops. I used a trainer mat on top of interlocking gym floor mats and that provided plenty of rocking for me. It did rob me of 30W or so in sprints, so I’m back to a single mat now for my Saris/CycleOps Hammer.

My recommendation is to shift your butt around every once in a while and also briefly pedal out of the saddle more often than you would outdoors.
Thanks Tobin. My 600w sprints are already awful, I doubt 30w watts lost there would make a difference. My turbo is already on a single yoga mat but I don't quite get rocking. Do you have a specific thicker mat or something?
demoCRIT wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:14 pm
did you try a rocker plate?
I did and I'm not getting one....
I couldn't stand the fact that they lean to opposite way vs what you experience in real life + it didnt really relived any "issues" with static sitting...

Neo user.
I didn't try one, and yours isn't a glowing review.. Are you not experiencing issues with your hips / joints without one on a direct drive turbo?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have the Wahoo mat and it’s really thick, certainly thicker than a yoga mat...that was placed on top of foam gym flooring.

demoCRIT

by demoCRIT

I didn't try one, and yours isn't a glowing review. Are you not experiencing issues with your hips/joints without one on a direct drive turbo?
Nothing wrong with hips/joints but I had to get used to "static butt" positioning tho...
maybe its a matter of getting used to turbo?
Or maybe take a break every once in a while?
I'm not exceeding 2h turbo time at once for most of the time (mental thing, not physical)

robeambro

by robeambro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:49 pm
I have the Wahoo mat and it’s really thick, certainly thicker than a yoga mat...that was placed on top of foam gym flooring.
Ah thanks, I would have never thought that the Wahoo mat would make sense, but sounds like a good option, and surely that + foam gym flooring makes for a more cushioned ride. I will get a thicker mat!

demoCRIT wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:03 pm

Nothing wrong with hips/joints but I had to get used to "static butt" positioning tho...
maybe its a matter of getting used to turbo?
Or maybe take a break every once in a while?
I'm not exceeding 2h turbo time at once for most of the time (mental thing, not physical)
Thanks. After some 150h of Zwift one would say that I've gotten used to it :lol: And ideally I'd like to try longer rides during winter, hence why I want to make it easier..

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Does a rocker help?
I get pain from counterbalancing in my neo. It's really not nearly as riding on the road.
I actually wonder more and more how a good roller is!
I guy i talked to told me they generate alot more noise (which would be a problem here)...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

There's also the kurt kinetic rock'n roll that might be worth having a look into. I think for people like you how do have issues with the stiffness of indoor trainers, it might be a good solution. Certainly better than what I've heard about rocker plates. I have never tried one, just going of the things I've read in various reviews.

TBT

by TBT

My experience with indoor trainers is limited to the past 8 months or so but I picked up a discounted KICKR v4 after trying the v5, Tacx Neo 2, cyclesops DD H2, elite drivo 2 and cycleops 2 fluid.

I also considered a rocker plate which I was fortune enough to try before I dropped the coin and found it to be of no real benefit.

Up until March this year I had never ridden more than 50km at a time but have found 3 hour rides on Zwift (80km ish) haven’t been a major issue other than getting out of the seat to accommodate a static riding position.

I would think it’s maybe more of an issue with getting used to indoor training more than anything you can buy, but like I said my experience is limited.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm thinking about the Inside Ride system but I don't think it works with a core.

http://www.insideride.com/buy/kickr-e-flex

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you just want to ride indoors, sure rollers (smart or not) might be fine. If you want to train/workout, get a direct-drive smart trainer.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:17 am
I'm thinking about the Inside Ride system but I don't think it works with a core.

http://www.insideride.com/buy/kickr-e-flex

This product is super unstable...you can easily tip over with it as DCRainmaker demonstrated.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I wouldn't buy anything more based on reviews. I honestly don't think Neo + Zwift is fun at all. It doesn't feel like normal road riding.
I'd rather have a unit that allows me to shift exactly as i do while i do ride my bike.
I don't know if rollers is the key either!?
Static fit feels weird to me. I even sit further rearward on a trainer. I could never get a bike fit proper on a trainer.
It doesn't matter how perfect i sit while on a trainer, it's not same while riding outdoors.
But that is off topic i guess. This was about trainers.
Thing is the when i need to counterbalance my self on my trainer, it is painful rather quick.
Maybe i'm a freak, well, so be it :mrgreen:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:21 am
This product is super unstable...you can easily tip over with it as DCRainmaker demonstrated.
I read his review. That was not his conclusion. His conclusion seemed pretty positive overall. Yes you can tip it over so you have to get the hang of it just like rollers. If you just want to mindlessly pedal then it's probably not a good option.