Felt F1 FRD 2014

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jamy99

by Jamy99

I've just taken delivery of a 2014 Felt F1 Team frameset. It is labelled as having advanced nano carbon but I was expecting it to be ultimate nano carbon as stated on the website.

Can anyone provide any information on the advanced nano carbon and how this frame compares to the ultimate nano found on the 2013 felt f1?

Thanks in advance.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Jamy99 wrote:I've just taken delivery of a 2014 Felt F1 Team frameset. It is labelled as having advanced nano carbon but I was expecting it to be ultimate nano carbon as stated on the website.

Can anyone provide any information on the advanced nano carbon and how this frame compares to the ultimate nano found on the 2013 felt f1?

Thanks in advance.

The 2014 version uses more 40T fibers instead of the use of 60T found on the older and original DMC molded F1 frames. The 2014 frames were also updated with InForce plies which help with impact and point loading.

-Dave

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jamy99

by Jamy99

Thanks Dave, does this have any affect on the weight of the two frames? Which is better, 40T or 60T?

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Jamy99 wrote:Thanks Dave, does this have any affect on the weight of the two frames? Which is better, 40T or 60T?

Better isn't the right term. It's like asking if sugar or salt is better. 60T is more brittle (lower tensile strength) and higher modulus.
Fiber Tensile Modulus (msi) Tensile Strength (ksi)
M35J 50 683
M40 57 398
M40J 55 640
M46J 63 611
M50J 69 597
M55J 78 583
M60J 85 569
We used Toray M60J on the original F1. We do not use it on the current F1. It is not a homogenous structure. The 60t fibers were used in high stress/high torsion areas that needed to resist deflection. We also use 5t fibers, a pitch-based material that has incredible strength but provides no additional stiffness.

The expertise in lay up design and development is what sets Felt apart from 90% of the rest of the industry. We don't just sell the cake, we are the master chef and create the recipe.

Yes, the latest F1 is heavier and more "crashable" and to me is more of an upgraded FC frame design as it uses the 3pc MMC molds like the FC does.
The previous F1 was replaced by the F FRD which at 1000g is our lightest frameset and among the highest in STW of any frame from anyone. Despite the fact the frame was developed in 2011 it remains competitive with the latest RCA, Emonda SLR, Addict, Super6evo, etc...

-SD

Jamy99

by Jamy99

That's good info thanks. Out of interest do you know the official weights of the 2013 f1 and 2014 f1 team framsets?

My 56 inch frame weighed just under 900g, and the forks weighed 290g. So 1190g in total. Pretty good I thought.

upside

by upside

I have a 2014 F1 Custom paint and that was 875 grams.

Jamy99

by Jamy99

upside wrote:I have a 2014 F1 Custom paint and that was 875 grams.

Are you happy with your F1? Do you have any pictures?

upside

by upside

I do, but have problems trying to attach them otherwise I sure would.

53x12

by 53x12

A buddy of mine recently got a F FRD. Got to see it today and take it for a little spin. Got to admit, that is one sexy frame. I know Felt isn't as popular as some other brands on this forum and within cycling in general, but my goodness this frame is amazing. I already have too many bikes in the stable, but if I was looking for another bike with race geometry, either the F FRD or the F1 would be on my short list. For bang for the buck, that F1 has to be towards the top of the list. Felt really has an awesome frame with their F series.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

gregcharlton

by gregcharlton

New to the forum
Can anyone confirm that the 2014 Felt FRD frame set is comparable weight wise to a Scott addict?
Can you confirm that you can only use electronic gears with the 2014 FRD? Is it not possible to install sram red 22 or manual dura-ace?
How does the bike climb?

I'm after a decent bike for climbing and was looking at the scot addict for lightness but love the frame of the felt

KWalker

by KWalker

2014 F1 custom here, best bike I've ridden/owned. Love it. Only want to switch to an AR to get the aero potentially. My frame was 870, don't recall the fork weight. Stiffer, smoother, and more stable than the SS Evos I came off of. Probably a Felt road customer for life unless I go the full custom route or someone gives me something for free.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

53x12

by 53x12

gregcharlton wrote:New to the forum
Can anyone confirm that the 2014 Felt FRD frame set is comparable weight wise to a Scott addict?
Can you confirm that you can only use electronic gears with the 2014 FRD? Is it not possible to install sram red 22 or manual dura-ace?
How does the bike climb?

I'm after a decent bike for climbing and was looking at the scot addict for lightness but love the frame of the felt

Felt FRD is 1000g for the frameset.

Can't use SRAM 22.

Bike will climb as good as your legs and lungs can go.

From an earlier post on the last page:

SuperDave wrote:Yes, the F1 works with Athena EPS
Yes, the F FRD works with Athena EPS

There is no F1 FRD frame, this misinformation has continued to be delivered on this forum but if you review our website the differences between the two frames are detailed.

The F FRD only works with electronic shifting systems or single ring mechanically shifted groups (CX1, etc.)
The F1 frame allows any type of shifting/component group mech/hydro/electronic to be used.

The F FRD frameset is ~1000g
The F1 frameset is ~1200g

-SD
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Any other members have this frame? Seems like a perfect WW build in that the frame is ~700g. Inline with other 'top' road frames. I know the Cervelo Rca has a slightly lighter fork than the F FRD, but the Felt frame isn't too far off from the Rca which costs significantly more. No love for this frame on here?

superdx

by superdx

I've been considering one, but I can't find any official literature that says the frame is 700g. Just 3 posts up, someone said that the frame was 1000g. That's actually kind of heavy for a top-end frame.

53x12

by 53x12

superdx wrote:I've been considering one, but I can't find any official literature that says the frame is 700g. Just 3 posts up, someone said that the frame was 1000g. That's actually kind of heavy for a top-end frame.

Read it again. It is 1000g for the frameset (frame + fork).

SuperDave wrote:
The F FRD frameset is ~1000g
The F1 frameset is ~1200g

-SD

Here is the AR FRD weight. Match that to what Felt claims for the AR FRD weight and see how spot on it is:

http://youtu.be/cYP0pLoQzP0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com