HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: ROTOR and Di2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:56 pm 

somebody are using ROTOR oval chainrings with Di2 groupset ?

hell or heaven ?

Post subject: Re: ROTOR and Di2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:09 pm 

I tried that. I run an SRM crank and am now 'testing' a DA 7950 SRM, so went back to the stock round rings.

The Di2 front derailleur is very powerful. It is so powerful that it flexes the stock 7900 and 7950 rings. If you are just testing it on the stand and don't pedal, it will flex the Q-rings so far, you'd think they'd snap! Obviously, they won't, but the derailleur is really powerful. While riding, this effect is not noticeable.

I think the stock Shimano rings shift better, but Di2 doesn't care what rings you put on it. It will shift anything in any condition. I have friends who are racing with Osymetric rings and completely trust Di2.

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:09 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:30 pm 

The same servo type Shimano use for their deep sea fishing reel to hurl in 100 kg monster. 30 years of experience.... What do u think? I think Di2 shift rotor Q rings better than SRAM, 7900 or even campy SR11, Record or Chorus if that matters. I uses only the Aero Q rings as its stiffer, seems to take the pressure of Di2 better, therefore shift faster.

But the fact nothing shift better than Shimano chainrings..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:53 pm 

i have to search a pair of compact rings , so ....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:01 pm 

There are Q-rings in Aero compact configuration. Ive installed these on all my friends bike: 54/42, 52/38, compact 50/36, 50/38. All are using Aero outer rings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:14 pm 

maxima wrote:
The same servo type Shimano use for their deep sea fishing reel to hurl in 100 kg monster. 30 years of experience.... What do u think? I think Di2 shift rotor Q rings better than SRAM, 7900 or even campy SR11, Record or Chorus if that matters. I uses only the Aero Q rings as its stiffer, seems to take the pressure of Di2 better, therefore shift faster.

But the fact nothing shift better than Shimano chainrings..

thats why i used the aero version of q-rings, had no problem with di2 and aero q-rings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:46 pm 

Using Di2 with Aero Q-rings for this season. Works very well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:04 pm 

we can say "heaven not hell " to my question at post #1 :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:58 am 

For me it’s mostly hell at the moment.

Finished my build yesterday and I´m really struggling with front shifting. Shifting from small to big is slow and on the top 3 cogs it will not go from small to big at all (OK, you should not cross chain but the Di2 adjustment mode is in big-big combination). I have followed the setup instructions from Shimano dealer manual step by step. I have understood that my setup will not be as good as with Shimano crank set but this bad? :?

Setup
Cervelo S5
Ultegra 6870 Di2 (with Rotor chain catcher)
Rotor 3D30 cranks and Rotor Aero Q-Rings 50t/38t
Ultegra 6800 12-25 cassette, 6800 chain with KMC 11spd Missing Link

What I´ve done/checked
FD parallel to chainring
1mm distance from max diameter of chainring to FD
Di2 adjustment move as far “out” as possible (all 12 clicks)
Low stop ~1mm to chain
High stop ~1mm to chain
FD support bolt touching the frame, but lightly. Otherwise rear end of FD cage starts moving outwards when tightening bolt.

Questions/thoughts
Will setting high stop further out increase the “throw” of the FD helping the chain onto big, or only increase risk of dropping chain over the top.
Will buying Rotor shims to rotate the FD (anti clockwise viewed from the side) help this issue? AFAIK, the main use for the shims is when chain touches bottom of FD cage, no such problem for me.
As a side note, after installing chain before any adjustment the FD worked badly. When doing first adjustment it stopped shifting from small to big at all, I took me nearly an hour to get it back to “bad”.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the small essay 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:06 pm 

I'm using 52/36 aero Q-rings on my tri bike with Di2. Shifts perfectly! You will need to play with derailleur height and it's very sensitive to cage angle. If all else fails, call Rotor customer service, they will help you and will probably already have a documented solution for your bike brand/model. In some instances, you will need to add an angled spacer to move the derailleur back and rotate the cage back/down; Rotor will be able to offer you the right spacer if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:16 pm 

ill principe wrote:
What I´ve done/checked
FD parallel to chainring
1mm distance from max diameter of chainring to FD
Di2 adjustment move as far “out” as possible (all 12 clicks)
Low stop ~1mm to chain
High stop ~1mm to chain

FD support bolt touching the frame, but lightly. Otherwise rear end of FD cage starts moving outwards when tightening bolt.

Weird, for mechanical groupsets the manuals state 0-0.5mm of clearance. Got a link to the tech doc pdf you're using?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:38 pm 

You are correct, the manual says 0-0.5mm. It´s probably that close already. From what I´ve read during the day revisiting this and make sure the FD support bolt is "supporting enough" will be my first steps when I get home.

@audiojan´s tip about contacting Rotor is handy when I´m ready to throw the bike out and spend the summer on my winter cross with Shimano 5700 (which shifts pefectly...).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:41 pm 

Yep, using Regular (non-aero) QRings with 9070 Di2...works like a charm. Always did with SRAM Red also.

I don't go by any specs from a manual, just put the FD barely enough to ensure the largest cog on the Big Ring at the largest point of the oval of the Rotor doesn't touch. That works out to maybe .5mm, whatever so when the derailleur moves to the left, it will never touch that largest tooth.

I also run a chain catcher...doesn't matter where that is, just close enough so not to touch the chain when on the small cog of course and to do its job in case. But never had it drop personally.

FD support screw touching the frame so the FD just starts to move outward when you tighten it. I use the metal/adhesive piece on my frame they provide for the Di2. That should give enough support so not to affect the frame/carbon, and so when force is applied, the cage moves immediately with no hesistation. Doesn't hurt to adjust that screw so when you tighten it, it actually just starts to move .1mm so you know the force/play is removed.

Rule of thumb, I NEVER run on the big ring and 1st-2nd on the rear, cross chaining obviously, badly. Asking for trouble. Closest I get ever is the 3rd cog/big ring.

Same with the small/small combo. Small ring, never go past about the 6th-7th on the rear, again, bad cross chaining habits. No surprise it wouldn't shift worth crap if you try this. Mine will do what you say also if I'm doing that, it won't shift, or is real slow to then move with the auto trim it does especially with 11spd due to the wider cassette spacing compared to 10spd.

If you are running the big ring, and need to be on the smallest 1-2, you need a different cassette tooth setup, or you need to drop to the small ring.

I consider myself a sprinter, there hasn't ever been a problem on my Scott Foil with SRAM/Di2 shifting. 52-39T front rings. When my rings wear out, I'm considering trying the Aero rings to get some extra stiffness, but I've never noticed anything flexing and causing issues at 1200w.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:14 pm 

Had another go today and the shift is now ok, will ride the bike to get "real world" experience and not just in the work stand before working any more on the setup.

What I did was adjust the FD alignment, found small room for improvement, including an extra half turn on the support bolt. Then Zigmeisters tip on ~0.5mm from FD to closest tooth. Finally outer limit had to be about 1mm from chain.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:14 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:16 am 

Outer limit further away than normal will help significantly, especially since oval rings shift like crap compared to standard shimano rings...
Remember the di2 front derailleur doesn't shift all at once, so allowing that limit to be looser than usual (1-2mm instead of .5) shouldn't cause dropped chains, as it doesn't take full advantage of that until after the shift is finished...