Cannondale KP017 - Carbon Fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

esfrost

by esfrost

Hey there!

I'm building up my first road bike onto a chinese carbon frameset (maybe the FM015, not sure, as i bought it from a local guy) I'd like to use the Cannondale KP017 expanding plug in the fork, but i'm not really sure if that would work with my fork. I know the expanding part would work, but i'd love the have the plug supporting my fork from the inside, as i don't want any spacer under or above the stem. Anyone using this plug on a fork that isn't Cannondale?

I'd also like to know the outer diameter of plug, the part which supports the fork from the inside.

My fork's inside diameter is 22mm.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The Cannondale KP017 will fit & work fine, it's a really nice design (as long as you don't tighten it too hard and snap the aluminum bolt). The only small issue will be having a Cannondale logo/graphics on the top cap. If you don't mind that, it's a great product. I have used it on one of my bikes (a commuter).

Also consider:
Tune GumGum (my favorite, but some people haven't had luck with it). Will fit.
Extralite UltraStar (may or may not fit, you will need to check your steerer's inner diameter) - probably won't fit. Stated range is 23.3 - 25.2
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

esfrost

by esfrost

Thank you so much for the help! I have to admit that i was a but hot headed, because i have already ordered the Cannondale KP017. I love how the KP017's top cap looks, and i don't mind the graphics. I'm a bit worried that my fork's inside diameter is 22mm, and if the KP017's outer diameter is 23.5mm or something like that, or more than 22mm than it wouldn't fit my fork.

Do you have, or do you run the KP017 on your bike? Can you measure that said part's outer diameter? Or anyone?

I found a couple webshops selling these KP017 plugs, and some of them have a number next to the part name, which is 23,5. I suppose this is the diameter i'm looking for. If i'm correct, this means that the KP017 plug wont fit inside my 22 mm steerer tube.

Anyone can confirm this?

Svetty

by Svetty

On a related issue (sorry for thread hi-jack ;-) ) the KP017 available in the UK through Qwerty is the original heavy version whereas the US/Cannondale experts version is the later, lighter version. Anyone know if the US version is obtainable in the UK?

esfrost

by esfrost

I've talked to Qwerty last year (early december maybe) and they told me they will be stocking the newer version of the KP017 also. Drop them a mail, and ask em, if they have it.

Svetty

by Svetty

Will do, thanks.

2old4this

by 2old4this

I use KP017 on two of my bikes. It is very light (17 gr I think) and dirt cheap. CannondaleExperts have them for $35, and you can buy them from eBay for ~$17.

ccparkhill

by ccparkhill

I'm in the UK and I ended up ordering 4 to save on postage, one is on my SuperSix so have 3 spare if anybody is interested?

Svetty

by Svetty

Just a heads-up that Qwerty now stock the light-weight version of the KP017 in the UK at £16 c free postage :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com