Dilemma: Cipollini Logos killer deal or stick to BMC SLR01?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vlastrada

by vlastrada

I have a major dilemma:

I can get a killer deal on a Cipollini Logos frameset (almost 60% off its hefty price tag) or just keep my current 2013 BMC SLR01 frame (here http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112627&start=30 ) .

Logos: http://www.mcipollini.com/en/biciclette/logos in grey/white black (OK not the best colour)

Although the Logos is marketed as a comfortable/sportive bike (T700 carbon), I have been told it rides like a race bike, and is snappier than my 2013 SLR01.

The use is for road racing/training, I am a relatively light guy (177cm 63kg) who loves climbing.

The question is: Will the Logos be a at least as good or better race bike than my current 2013 SLR01??

Ps just heard w integrated mast+ mast top + headset + BB bearings etc = 1400g :unbelievable: !! fork = 400g (uncut)...Size Medium (53.5 tt, so more like a small).

Opinions please!! :-) Cheers and happy riding

Also, anyone actually ridden one?

ps I can't get such crazy discounts RB800s/1Ks (which in any case have BB386 compatibility issues with my Campy SRM cranks).
Last edited by vlastrada on Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

- Between the two I have only ridden the 2013 SLR01, I have not ridden the Cipollini Logos -

Personally I would choose the SLR01 over the Logos. That's mostly based off of looks, but also in part because I don't like ISP designs.

I also love climbing.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

barsook77

by barsook77

Chipollini makes a superior product. At that discount you cannot go wrong.

plpete

by plpete

Vlad, you know I'm biased and the BMC gets my vote although the Cipo does look great. Not as great as the BMC tho... The real question is, can you live with that portly frame weight of the Logos? I know you wished your BMC was lighter when you got it....;) Given my limited knowledge it seems to me that the Logos would make a great bike for a flatter terrain where as the BMC would excell when the road points up.

KWalker

by KWalker

So how much heavier is it?

Geo doesn't look a ton different, a bit more upright and a bit lower in the front. I just don't see the allure personally.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

wingguy

by wingguy

vlastrada wrote:ps I can't get such crazy discounts RB800s/1Ks (which in any case have BB386 compatibility issues with my Campy SRM cranks).

The Cipollini website says they're all BB386, Logos included. But a BB386 frame is compatible with most anything except a BB30 crank, so what's the issue?

vlastrada

by vlastrada

@ Pete and KWalker: Yes, all fair points, my guesstimate is that the Logos ("Medium" but Small geometry-wise: 53.5 TT) is approx 200-230g heavier that my (Small) BMC...
The attractions are: 1) *supposedly* super responsive, stiff and planted 2) trying something new, 3) I am barely paying for it (+would sell the BMC),
4) Looks nice! (am so vacuous ;-) )...5) one of relatively few frames I like compatible with Campy SRM. But yhea, I would never pay the full price for a Logos

@ btompkins: no way ;-)!!

@ Winguy - that's what the Cipo site says, but this particular frame has BB30 (prob because earlier production run or else cipo site is wrong):

Compatibility - long story but:
BB386 supposedly not compatible with SRM campy cranks, something to do with the SRM BB clip (NOT same as Campy clip) not having enough clearance w BB386 as the inside of the cranks bulges out more vs non SRM campy cranks or something like that (according to Colorado SRM tech people, not clear as to *exactly* why and some people doubt it, but nobody has given me a *definite* yes/no answer). previous Cipos had BB30, hence no issues.

DMF

by DMF

As always, it's fine liking a bike for the looks, the rep, the kudos, or whatever floats your boat. But in the end, sane people buy bikes based on geometry and nothing else. You may like it, but unless the geo doesn't match you it's as pointless as buying shoes that don't fit your feet...

Hence, protocol for buying a new frameset: Find a bunch that floats your boat. Pick the one width the right geo, be really picky about it too. Forget all other framesets you wanted earlier.

If the BMC fits you, and the Cipo get your blood running, it's time to check a geo chart for the final yey or ney.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Agree 100% with this!

I absolutely loved the ride, look and weight of my Cannondale SuperSix but the geo wasnt ideal for me so it just never felt quite "right" fit wise. Riding a Cervelo now and while i preferred the look and weight of the Cannondale, the geo of the Cervelo is a much better fit.

Although its hard to put aside that asthetic aspect fit always comes first!
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

There is a 'Bike Holy Grail'. It is called 'fit'. If your current ride fits well and you like the geometry, then that is a really good case for sticking with it.

asdf123

by asdf123

Valbrona wrote:There is a 'Bike Holy Grail'. It is called 'fit'. If your current ride fits well and you like the geometry, then that is a really good case for sticking with it.

True.
Don't trade your fit for looks, brand status, whatever when you're planing to really train and do a decent mileage on it.
It will 'bite' you in the a... in the long term ;)

vlastrada

by vlastrada

naturally I agree 100% on the importance of fit, but not sure i grasp why everyone assumes the cipollini doesn't fit me :noidea:

the ultimate test would be a test ride, but don't have that option. Geometry-table wise it should work with no issues :wink: .

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I haven't ridden either bike but I'd pick the Cipollini if I could have one.

DMF

by DMF

Couldn't you post the two geo charts, I can't find one for the Logos thru Google?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com