Is this real or fake?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bura

by bura

The LOOK frame is a fake one. No doubt.

There are bunch of stolen and fake items also on eBay.eBay or alibaba. Both are companies and are after your money.AB is listed on HKSE and eBay on NYSE.More profit.Better balance sheets.
Two reasons why there are more fake products on alibaba are:
-Alibaba is a China based (Hangzhou) company and they started their business in China.
International HQ is in Hong Kong.
-Fake products are reaching international markets en-gros (in bulk) as it is a business to business internet e-commerce site.
So the businesses on alibaba are direct links to the manufacturer of the goods.

Their consumer to consumer site aliexpress (taobao.com for China market and in Chinese) and sites like Alipay have been launched in direct competition to eBay.

I have used aliexpress several times and have to say that it is bomb proof. You pay with your CC . Ali Express does not pay the seller until they receive
an "item received & in well condition" message from you.This is part of the e-deal page like leaving a feedback etc.
I have to say that it is as safe as "eBay money back guarantee".
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

HammerTime2 wrote:Seriously, why don't these people just advertise very good, but not absurd prices? Wouldn't they get more customers, not to mention more revenues per "sucker"? Or is there some kind of more aggressive official scrutiny, enforcement, or prosecution against thefts over a certain size, so they need to keep their prices below those limits?
Banks used to have a threshold below which it's cheaper to just refund funds from fraudulent transactions, rather than investigate and prosecute, I think it was around the €800-1000 mark. It may well have something to do with the prices they choose.

CBJ

by CBJ

I think the more global the company gets the bigger interest they will have in cleaning up the site. So people can feel secure when they shop. There is also pressure from vendors which recently has gotten them to make efforts to clean up the site:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3019868/fast ... ods-online

ttakata73

by ttakata73

I tried Aliexpress for some small things like a soap dispenser, battery, and digital picture frame.
The items showed up and worked but my life isn't at risk with those items.
The one time an item didn't show, I was refunded so it seems a legit site.

A carbon bike frame?.. not ordering that.
Might look the same but probably made of low grade materials and by the newest teenager in the shop.
May be full of air pockets and newspaper.

I would love to see feedback pictures from those who bought the frames.
Hopefully anyone that may have crashed would cut their frame up to show the insides and thicknesses.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I would not buy a name brand frame at a ridiculously low price from alibaba or aliexpress and expect it it be the quality that one would expect from the brand advertised. I know some are obvious rip-offs, but I've also wondered if some of these manufactures (that might really produce products for name brands), take the products that don't meet the buyer's specs and sell them at low prices on these sites. It would be a great way for them to recover the cost for what the "brand company" considers a defective product. In spite of that, I've bought carbon bottle cages from aliexpress, and they work fine, but my life isn't in danger if they break. To me, this whole phenomenon adds more legitimacy to companies like FarSports and HungFu that are trying to create a name for themselves with a competing product that they don't try to fool people into thinking is some other "name brand".

poppiholla

by poppiholla

When the price is too good to be true, most of the time it is.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

bura

by bura

rowdysluggins wrote:To me, this whole phenomenon adds more legitimacy to companies like FarSports and HungFu that are trying to create a name for themselves with a competing product that they don't try to fool people into thinking is some other "name brand".

Agree.
And both companies are on alibaba.com and aliexpress.com
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I have had only good experiences with vendors I contacted via Alibaba. Archteks in particular is a really great company to deal with. I bought several sets of carbon rims through them via Alibaba and had absolutely no complaints. I've also purchased a couple of generic frames via Alibaba vendors. But I always stick to generic purchases. No name brands. If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.

spliid

by spliid

They make very nice things but they have no idea of what original means. They think they can make original campa and zipp by just putting on decals. And that's for real. Just talked to a seller. Have been a gold seller for years. They would sell me campa bora ultra 35 with novatec hubs.

bura

by bura

Do not agree.
They know exactly what they are offering and know what the difference to the original is.
There are consumers on this planet who do not know what they are doing. :)
Kuota Kom Evo
SOLD

spliid

by spliid

Then give me a dealer? I have ordered several wheelsets, frames and handlebars from all the trusted ones such as farsports, helin, yoeleo and you name it. They only sells their own stuff and that is great.
Every time I contact another one on aliexpress claiming they sell original their specs on the items are fake.
They don't build it with the correct parts.
Don't you think zipp, campa, and all the others would get a heartattack if I could get a 80-90% discount all the time? But I know that argument doesn't make it false.
Last edited by spliid on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bura

by bura

Mike we mean the same thing.
I was only joking .
IMO a guy who sells this:http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-Campagnolo-Bora-Ultra-Two-3K-weave-Carbon-Road-Bicycle-50mm-Clincher-Wheelset/1205354335.html
knows exactly that the spoke pattern is different, knows that BORA's are only tubular wheels and so is it with the Novatec hub.
Kuota Kom Evo
SOLD

spliid

by spliid

Argh :P . How stupid do they think we are :mrgreen: !!

barsook77

by barsook77

FAKE! Chipollini's for $600. ????? :shock: That RB 1000 is a 7K USD frame!

Stay clear unless you want to buy something that "looks" like an original factory product... but is not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bazmac

by bazmac

I saw this same seller advertising super cheap high end bikes a few years back and I have a PI mate of mine that looked into them before I was ready to purchase from them and they were dead set dodgy and were set up to take my money and not provide anything?

I believe in the old adage, if it appears to good to be true, it probably is.

Cheers and safe shopping.
Baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk