road disc frame sets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dammit

by Dammit

Nope, he's adapting an off-the-shelf one:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thirstygreek

by thirstygreek

I am ordering an FM079 this Monday, will go with TRP Sprye calipers, DA 900 brifters, FD , RD and cassette with Rotor3D cranks and praxis rings. Just nailing down a fair price with HongFu. I am know its not as "aero" as a center pull or hell even close to as light but the better modulation and the wet weather performance is worth it. Plus hell its something different!

tharmor

by tharmor

@thirstygreek - as far as I know you will be the first to do so on this forum (at least no one else has introduced the bike in that thread). I'll be anxious to hear how it rides. You're building essentially the exact bike I'd build, with the exception of the Spyre's. I'd be building mine with the HyRd's.

@Dammit - what had to be adapted?

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Thirstygreek, very interested to see what your frame weighs. I was never able to get a firm answer regarding the scale weight of a 47cm FM079.

pushstart

by pushstart

I recently built up a Yishun FM145 frame. I *think* this is the same frame as the Hongfu 166? In retrospect the FM079 might have been slightly better geometry choice, but working with Yishun was great and the build went really well.

My initial plan was to use the Whisky No 9 fork with 15mm thru-axle, but thrift won out and I will ride the fork that came with the frame. I am using 9mm thru-bolt which seems to work great. This is not a super budget build, but is also not a top-shelf build (Sram Force, alloy Ritchey cockpit); it was certainly more affordable than equivalent other complete bike offerings I have seen from Colnago, Specialized, etc.

I also used Spyres. I was debating mechanical vs hydro, but am very happy with the performance of these brakes (and the ease of setup).

At 7.83kg/17lbs4oz ready-to-ride, this is obviously not a WW build, but it's not heavy enough to be able to use it as an excuse for being any slower. (It is 9oz heavier than the similar+spec rim-brake bike it replaced, which is a bit better than I was expecting.)

tharmor

by tharmor

@pushstart - in your blog post I couldn't find anything about which tubeless tire you chose. From the looks of things, it's a conti tire. But what size did you end up with? Is anyone having any problems putting a 25mm tubeless tire on the LB 45's?

pushstart

by pushstart

I am not running tubeless (though the LB45 rims are tubeless-ready and I did use stans tape). I am using GP4000S 25mm tires currently; they measure ~27mm on these rims. Plenty of clearance in the frame but I am guessing this is about the largest I could fit in the fork. I may give tubeless another try after this set of tires, though I prefer how these ride to the tubeless Fusion 3 tires I was using for a bit.

tharmor

by tharmor

Sounds good. Thanks for the clarification. I'll be waiting for a ride update to your blog.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

That Yishun looks identical to my HongFu FM166.

For reference my 56cm FM166 was:

frame: 1155g (inc hanger and braze-on)
fork: 458g (uncut, no bung)

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, for reference my 60cm FM145 frame was 1080g with hanger. Fork was 448g uncut.

Dammit

by Dammit

tharmor wrote:@thirstygreek - as far as I know you will be the first to do so on this forum (at least no one else has introduced the bike in that thread). I'll be anxious to hear how it rides. You're building essentially the exact bike I'd build, with the exception of the Spyre's. I'd be building mine with the HyRd's.

@Dammit - what had to be adapted?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I talked to Burls and Chickens Frames about a disc road frame. Ti lugs with carbon tubes or steel lugs with carbon tubes are my current thoughts both were open to the idea and investigating what they can do on this front. It will be pricey but I essentially want my Trek 2300 92 frame in disc brake form.

Any other thoughts of U.K frame builders who could do this?

Dammit

by Dammit

Oak Cycles built the frame pictured above, it's Columbus Spirit rather than fancy pants carbon fibre of titanium though.

eric

by eric

Dammit- they sanded off the post mount and made an IS mount rather than use a post to IS adaptor?
That glued on mount doesn't look very sturdy. Especially the lower one which will be in tension when the brakes are applied. For your sake I hope I am wrong about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dammit

by Dammit

That's a mudguard eyelet.